Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 08:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,821,014 times

Advertisements

I always get super nervous before any interview. It doesn't matter if I'm not interested, if I already know I don't want the job, if it pays below current, if I'm just knowingly wasting time, if it's just an intro, it doesn't matter. I always get really nervous. Sure if it's a high profile job or something I really want or if I'm desperate I get nervous, but these are interviews I just honestly don't even care about. I'm just a nervous person? lol
I think it's a combination of
  1. Knowing I'm being intentionally judged and critiqued
  2. Knowing the interviewer thinks they know more and are smarter than me
  3. Hating rejection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 08:56 AM

8,305 posts, read 3,826,955 times
I used to get nervous with interviews. But then several years ago I forced myself to suffer through it by doing 1-2 interviews per day for a couple weeks. I landed an amazing job and now I go on interviews every now and then even when I'm not seriously looking and feel really comfortable with it.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:57 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,132,950 times
Throughout my life, I always go into tests and examinations with a high amount of anxiety. It translates to interviews. I never was a good test taker and I also don't well in interviews. The anxiety is probably related to a "must do well" pressure I placed on myself. The last time I did a job search, I scheduled a bunch of interviews with companies that I wasn't really interested in. Sort of a practice interviewing routine to get allow me to focus on my interviewing skills without all the pressure of doing an interview with companies I actually wanted.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,901,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I think it's a combination of
  1. Knowing I'm being intentionally judged and critiqued
  2. Knowing the interviewer thinks they know more and are smarter than me
  3. Hating rejection
I think this is a result of just most employers providing a terrible interview experience.

As a result only the most rugged, jaded (and potentially sociopathic) veterans survive. They're looking for that exactly early 30 something worker that has been through the ringer, but still has a slight glimmer of hope left in their eye.

Being selected (or not selected) for a job these days is primarily about the employer being able to extract the most life force out of you with the least amount of resistance. They want someone who is determined, yet will yield when they say so.

(If you find that rare 1 in 10 employer to whom this doesn't apply, good job!)

Remove your ego because whether you win or lose often has more to do with right place and right time vs something you could have articulated better. Let's say you have 5 interviews. By interview 2 I believe they've already made a decision, they just don't know it (consciously) yet.

If your hard skills are up to par, then literally just "be yourself". You don't want to get hired by an a-hole and fired 4 weeks later. It's a waste of everyone's time and effort - namely yours.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:47 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,901,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The last time I did a job search, I scheduled a bunch of interviews with companies that I wasn't really interested in. Sort of a practice interviewing routine to get allow me to focus on my interviewing skills without all the pressure of doing an interview with companies I actually wanted.
Yes I learned from a mentor this technique and it really set me up for success.

If you can fake it through a company you're not interested in, you can fake confidence if necessary with the real employer you're actually interested in.

Although these days I find my main challenge isn't nervousness but I've actually received feedback "too polished"

(Aka I passed all of your trick questions and now you're nervous I may take your job?)

And then I have to find a way to say politely I wouldn't want your job in a million years...

Corporate America is so psychologically draining these days it's nauseating.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:33 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,239,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Knowing I'm being intentionally judged and critiqued

I don't get nervous about interviews, I always remember that they are two way streets. So I'm also judging and critiquing them as well. Sometimes I will go through an interview and know that this is not the place for me, so I blow off the interview on purpose - knowing that I will be rejected.

REMEMBER: You have skills, knowledge, abilities. DO NOT FORGET THIS AT THE INTERVIEW. Tell them how you're going to bring value and how you're going to be a great addition to the team. Only you know the details so TELL THEM.

Quote:
Knowing the interviewer thinks they know more and are smarter than me
This is narcissism on their part. Why be nervous based on THEIR fault? Who cares about THEIR fault?

Quote:
Hating rejection
Rejection sucks. But the solution is NOT to be nervous at an interview.

The solution is to not get emotionally attached to any job application. Apply, move on. Interview, then get back to applying for jobs as if nothing happened.

If you get the job, yay. If you don't, who cares, there's the next job application to fill out.

Just keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment