Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: From the "pot to the frying pan"?
Yes 10 55.56%
No 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 08:26 AM

858 posts, read 680,223 times

Advertisements

Unless you are very lucky, most folks at one time or another have had a job that was unbearable.
And the thought of resigning consumed your thoughts.

The question is, Have you ever jumped from a bad job to an even worse position?

From the "pot to the frying pan"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 08:41 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
I thought it was "from the frying pan into the fire".

Old 08-31-2021, 08:45 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I wouldn't say my career that began that is what I do today was that description. But I remember being offered a new job. My first day, the team lead handed me a program and asked me to reverse engineer it. I had no idea what this was, what the program entailed, I did not know anything about programming and had just left a 7 year job to take this one. I was in a real quandary.

I looked around and noticed the 2 older men there. Both in their 60's. They were always alone and none of the younger more edgy IT folks had anything to do with them. One was living here temporarily and was far away from his family, the other always took out his Bible Study material first thing in the am before he started work.

Those 2 became my bff's, the one away from his family, I invited myself to his apartment and we cooked some sort of tuna and veggie dish together (I taught him healthy cooking). Those 2 saved my skin and we spent hours going over my projects and I learned what files were, how to do logic tables, etc.

That's is one method I used and survived "the fryin pan." Many stories from that time, but I tried to utilize "creative survival thinking."

Old 08-31-2021, 08:48 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It is.

And no, I've been lucky.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:18 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
once, I was laid off and took a job that was less than ideal to not be unemployed. It actually taught me a lot. I took a step back and tried to figure out how I can change the job, and the group I work with to improve it. At the end of it, struggling through those jobs made me MUCH better at dealing with and managing difficult people, which is possibly my best skill on the job at this point in my career, and it let me break into a higher pay band as a result.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:13 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times
Sure, because it's difficult to know what an environment or job will actually be like when they're telling you in the interview how exciting their team and culture is and how interesting the role is and how you can "make it what you want". When both sides are doing their best to oversell their greatest qualities, it's only natural that there may be some disappointment at some point down the road.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:39 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Unless you are very lucky, most folks at one time or another have had a job that was unbearable.
And the thought of resigning consumed your thoughts.

The question is, Have you ever jumped from a bad job to an even worse position?

From the "pot to the frying pan"?

No, I was laid off and ended up picking one that was tough, but stuck it out for my dogs.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:03 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's "from bad to worse". I read "pot to frying pan" as being from bad to bad :-D

Old 08-31-2021, 11:33 AM

858 posts, read 680,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
That's "from bad to worse". I read "pot to frying pan" as being from bad to bad :-D
I would say a frying pan is worse than a pot but okay I get the concept....

Old 09-01-2021, 05:05 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
No, I was laid off and ended up picking one that was tough, but stuck it out for my dogs.
Well I hope those dogs at least got you a good wife or saved your life for all that suffering...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment