Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 03:57 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I would just leave them high and dry.

Once gave my notice - worked for two weeks -- they didn't pay me for it.
Same thing happened to me, being respectful working the 2 weeks. I was moving out of state and the boss claimed he'd already paid me. Nope.

No, the labor board could not care less when I reported it.

However he died shortly after at age 52, so.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 04:02 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Higher road?

Don’t waste time with morality when dealing with a capitalist company. Yes, give the two weeks. But do it to protect your interests. The company can mark you ineligible for rehire if you quit without notice, which could cause an issue with employment verification for future jobs. That IMO would be the ONLY reason to give the two weeks. To hell with the coworkers, to hell with “the right thing to do”, protect your interests because no one else will.
Companies can still mark you as ineligible for rehire even if you quit with two weeks notice. And even if you've been a hard worker and had a great deal of credibility and respect with the company. Some companies don't like it if people resign and will take it out on the ex-employee as best as they can.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Higher road?

Don’t waste time with morality when dealing with a capitalist company. Yes, give the two weeks. But do it to protect your interests. The company can mark you ineligible for rehire if you quit without notice, which could cause an issue with employment verification for future jobs. That IMO would be the ONLY reason to give the two weeks. To hell with the coworkers, to hell with “the right thing to do”, protect your interests because no one else will.

The company can mark you ineligible for rehire no matter what you do.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:33 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Companies can still mark you as ineligible for rehire even if you quit with two weeks notice. And even if you've been a hard worker and had a great deal of credibility and respect with the company. Some companies don't like it if people resign and will take it out on the ex-employee as best as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The company can mark you ineligible for rehire no matter what you do.
Then just quit, and give no notice. If it doesn't matter, then you have ZERO, ZILCH, NADA incentive to do anything to help the employer upon your departure. The legitimate organizations I've worked for only provide dates of employment. I've also never been asked to leave upon giving notice. And when it comes to professional references, I make lots of close connections on the inside, so I've never had issue finding someone to talk positively about my work product.

But since others here apparently work(ed) for Satan himself, then I would agree; do absolutely nothing for them including giving a notice, and ONLY look out for your best interests! If they're going to give you negative referrals simply for leaving a job, or they're tracking your keystrokes, or monitoring your toilet breaks, then there really is no hope for ya. Sorry, but you're screwed and there's no undoing any of it and you may as well give up--your life is completely over and they might actually own your namesake and other assets after your passing.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:36 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Then just quit, and give no notice. If it doesn't matter, then you have ZERO, ZILCH, NADA incentive to do anything to help the employer upon your departure. The legitimate organizations I've worked for only provide dates of employment. I've also never been asked to leave upon giving notice. And when it comes to professional references, I make lots of close connections on the inside, so I've never had issue finding someone to talk positively about my work product.

But since others here apparently work(ed) for Satan himself, then I would agree; do absolutely nothing for them including giving a notice, and ONLY look out for your best interests! If they're going to give you negative referrals simply for leaving a job, or they're tracking your keystrokes, or monitoring your toilet breaks, then there really is no hope for ya. Sorry, but you're screwed and there's no undoing any of it and you may as well give up--your life is completely over and they might actually own your namesake and other assets after your passing.
Wait a minute, if you know that you are going to get a negative referral and a NO for an eligible for rehire, you just move on. You interview with other companies and you leave when you secure a new job. Most savvy employers know that some companies become disgruntled with their employees just for resigning and give bad references. Just as you said, you build your professional references and rely on those.

No, your life isn't over. Those disgruntled former employers don't own you and can't really do that much to harm you. Life goes on.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:28 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Wait a minute, if you know that you are going to get a negative referral and a NO for an eligible for rehire, you just move on. You interview with other companies and you leave when you secure a new job. Most savvy employers know that some companies become disgruntled with their employees just for resigning and give bad references. Just as you said, you build your professional references and rely on those.

No, your life isn't over. Those disgruntled former employers don't own you and can't really do that much to harm you. Life goes on.
I was being facetious. Some people give too much credence to how much control their employer has over their life. Of course you move on. Most legitimate companies are not marking departing employees as ineligible for rehire out of spite or sharing this information to other employers out of fear that their asses will be tied up in a major class action lawsuit for trying to destroy people's lives over petty business squabbles.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:15 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Years from now, when all the positions have transitioned and people have moved on, your going to want to find your next, next job. Someone will call to verify your background. They will reach someone likely not even there now and the only thing they will honestly have to say is....the person was employed from x to y. The person's title was x...and the person was either terminated for cause (no call no show) or they gave notice and left voluntarily.

It seems petty, but HR will not screw with that because if they say someone was no call no show when in fact they did give notice, that's grounds for a lawsuit.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Years from now, when all the positions have transitioned and people have moved on, your going to want to find your next, next job. Someone will call to verify your background. They will reach someone likely not even there now and the only thing they will honestly have to say is....the person was employed from x to y. The person's title was x...and the person was either terminated for cause (no call no show) or they gave notice and left voluntarily.

I think more likely that no one will be calling anyone, an employer will use a reference verification service that will have it's computers to compare dates of emploment in your resume against dates of employment in umpteen databases, along with credit history and public/criminal records to generate a report that flags areas of concern.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It seems petty, but HR will not screw with that because if they say someone was no call no show when in fact they did give notice, that's grounds for a lawsuit.

And what if you give two weeks notice and leave after two days? Will the company record it as gave notice, quit without notice (risky since technically you did give notice), or some hybrid status of "gave notice, did not fulfill notice" (which adds another layer of complexity).

Old 09-03-2021, 02:12 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:

I don't know of any company that discloses reason for termination. Why would they?
Standard operating procedure for employment verification is: dates of employment and last position held. No mention of resignation, termination, notice or anything else.

In an employment at will state, the employer or the employee can terminate employment for any reason with or without notice. (There certain exceptions for a mass layoff.) There is no legal requirement to give notice. In most cases it's considered a professional courtesy. If a company has a policy that requires notice and they waive the notice, you should be paid. If there is no policy and you choose to give notice as a professional courtesy, you can be told to leave immediately without pay. Some companies do in fact pay the notice period.

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-03-2021 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment