Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 08:10 PM

22,271 posts, read 19,263,570 times

Advertisements

in my experience with recruitment and hiring,
people from out of state are generally given greater leeway for starting later, than are local people.

60 days from time of acceptance of offer is something we see fairly often, for out of state candidates.
when they make you the final offer, just tell them "my desired start date is ______ [give them the date 60 days out]. i need time to relocate." they will either say that's fine, or give an alternative such as "we can do 30 days out." you can then decide to take it or not.

60 days is not unreasonable. we've had people ask for longer out, like 6 months, that raises eyebrows. but if it's a candidate we want for a hard to fill position, we've gone with that. we've also hired people we know won't be able to report for 90 days because they are on for instance maternity leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 08:32 PM

22,271 posts, read 19,263,570 times
also---even if there is a cost involved with moving and breaking a lease, the higher pay for a new job offsets that.
there are costs associated with moving and relocating. breaking a lease or paying double rent for a time, is a cost incurred that is a moving expense.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:19 PM

61,825 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
I'm in the running for a couple of out-of-state positions that would be clear upgrades over what I have now. Just in terms of pay, the increase could be as much as 30-40 percent. I am a "finalist" for one (employer's words) and have been told a decision should be made this week. I have a second interview for another out-of-state position early this week.

Should either be offered, the biggest hurdle will be my apartment lease. It would cost me about $5,000 to break it (four months rent basically). But my lease also requires a 60-day move-out notice. Should I break my lease and not give 60 days, I would owe the remainder of the rent for my lease. And since my lease just began a couple of weeks ago, that's a whole lot of money and a total non-starter. I had asked my complex about month-to-month leases but unfortunately, they don't offer those.

There's another clause in my lease about abandoning the unit. Basically, I couldn't move out early and bring/send the keys back later on. Subletting is also not allowed (I don't know any candidates for that anyway).

The other logistical thing surrounds giving my current employer two weeks notice, should something be offered to me and accepted this week. I'm getting married next weekend and then going on a honeymoon, so if I give two weeks this week, that period would cover my wedding and honeymoon and I wouldn't be working then anyway save maybe a couple of days in the end. If you give your employer two weeks notice, and then don't work for them for those two weeks due to previously scheduled PTO, does that really count as notice? It's an unusual situation.

60 days from hire would accomplish a lot of things for me: Fulfill my complex's move out notice, buy time for us to find an apartment in the new city (some we've looked at have nothing for 2 months out), and maybe give my soon to be wife time to find a job of her own in the new city. It would also buy my current employer time to replace me.

But would it likely be a total non-starter for an employer if you asked to start 60 days after hire? Obviously, if this was a local job all of this would be non-issues but this would involve moving out of state and that brings some issues with it.

Tips on how to navigate this potential situation are appreciated.
I was asked 6 months before I started my job. The hospital was still built... So, things like that are possible.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:37 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,211,969 times
Possible but I would think unlikely. My employer would expect you in 30 days. If it is inconvenient for you they would regard you as not being interested enough in the job. Just my observation, no first hand experience.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:43 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
This is based on a number of factors, including - the type of job, your new employer's needs, and their willingness to accommodate to you.

I've seen people start 90+ days out in order to not lose out on an annual bonus. Of course, these were C-level positions. I've also pulled some strings to offer bigger sign-on bonus in order to bring someone in sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment