Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 12:33 AM

318 posts, read 179,438 times

Advertisements

My gf's boss, who is also my boss, doesn't treat her well, in the sense that he makes her work a lot of overtime, more then legal, and just doesn't treat her well, with a bullying attitude, threatening to fire her if she doesn't, even though it's not legal to have to work that much. He also has her working in dangerious conditions that are legally against health and safety codes.

I told my gf just to stand up to him and say no. However, we both work in the same job, so does that change anything for a bf giving such advice? The boss doesn't make me worth overtime at all, and I work in a different department anyway, so I guess he never wanted me to. But what do you think?

Last edited by jimhamilton; 08-28-2021 at 01:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 08:33 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I am not sure what an illegal amount of overtime is supposed to be. If work conditions are hazardous because of safety protocol violations, make an anonymous complaint to OSHA.

Old 08-28-2021, 04:39 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhamilton View Post
My gf's boss, who is also my boss, doesn't treat her well, in the sense that he makes her work a lot of overtime, more then legal, and just doesn't treat her well, with a bullying attitude, threatening to fire her if she doesn't, even though it's not legal to have to work that much. He also has her working in dangerious conditions that are legally against health and safety codes.

I told my gf just to stand up to him and say no. However, we both work in the same job, so does that change anything for a bf giving such advice? The boss doesn't make me worth overtime at all, and I work in a different department anyway, so I guess he never wanted me to. But what do you think?
Without researching and documenting specifically how this boss is violating workplace health and safety, conduct, and overtime policy, "standing up to him" is a bad idea. She needs to be sure of her ground and keep it impersonal. Hearsay won't cut it. If she can't access this information for herself she needs to get that information from HR. As for you, maybe you can help her most by digging up the information she will need. Then she can challenge this boss well armed. If she does end up being fired for challenging him she'll have the backing to pursue it legally.

Old 08-28-2021, 04:45 PM

Oh okay, but she took courses in her field and seems to know, the codes and rules from her courses, so I thought it wouldn't be hearsay therefore. As for making anymous complaints to a health and safety workplace agency, we have but the agency hasn't done anything, I am guessing because they cannot do a lot just from phone and email complaints perhaps.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:00 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhamilton View Post
Oh okay, but she took courses in her field and seems to know, the codes and rules from her courses, so I thought it wouldn't be hearsay therefore. As for making anymous complaints to a health and safety workplace agency, we have but the agency hasn't done anything, I am guessing because they cannot do a lot just from phone and email complaints perhaps.
Gather the appropriate citations, link them to each instance of abuse/violation (be specific!), get collaborating witness statements, and build a case! If you do more of the health and safety watchdog agency's homework they are more likely to take it on. Most of those folks are totally swamped with claims; many of which are bogus.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:17 PM

Well we tried that before but the problem is no one wants to be a whistleblower it seems. I mean you can't subpoena anyone so how far can you get really.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:13 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,630,868 times
I'm confused.

The OP's thread title is "should I tell my gf to stand up to her in this case" which would lead one to think the OP is asking if he should tell her girlfriend.

Yet in his first post, he writes "I told my gf just to stand up to him and say no."

So which is it, did the OP tell her to do so or not?

Either way though, the answer is still the same. Do NOT be a "knight in shining armor" and potentially ruin your position at this job by butting in other people's problems (that they don't want to handle on their own).

If the girlfriend herself doesn't want to escalate and risk things, that's on her. She's what, early 20's? She's a grown woman and can make her own decisions in life. Pushing someone to do something they don't want to do themselves serves no purpose.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:43 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Let your g/f be a woman & do the right thing for her.

Old 08-28-2021, 08:50 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
I have had several instances where I saw people being treated poorly by the manager/supervisor. I have spoken to them and told them to stand up to them when they cross the line. They won't and when they'd come to me and complain I'd tell them

"I already spoke to you about it, don't cry to me"

That's what you'll have to do.

Old 08-28-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm confused.

The OP's thread title is "should I tell my gf to stand up to her in this case" which would lead one to think the OP is asking if he should tell her girlfriend.

Yet in his first post, he writes "I told my gf just to stand up to him and say no."

So which is it, did the OP tell her to do so or not?

Either way though, the answer is still the same. Do NOT be a "knight in shining armor" and potentially ruin your position at this job by butting in other people's problems (that they don't want to handle on their own).

If the girlfriend herself doesn't want to escalate and risk things, that's on her. She's what, early 20's? She's a grown woman and can make her own decisions in life. Pushing someone to do something they don't want to do themselves serves no purpose.
Oh sorry for the confusion. Yes I did tell her to stand up to him but then wondered if it was the right thing to do, and wonder if I should reneg on that or not.

She can make her own decisions yes, but she asks me what she should do too though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment