Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 01:29 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times

Advertisements

So I was watching a few videos on Uber Eats drivers. It seems like a good job. You really have no boss, you set your own hours, all you really do is drive around. One guy was saying he works 5 hours a day, making $100 a day. All you need is a reliable and fuel efficient vehicle.

But that got me wondering, what would be the best cities to do Uber Eats or Doordash? I don't a small city in the Midwest would be good for that kind of thing. Maybe a city like NYC would be best. Like go to Manhattan during the lunch and dinner rushes. You could probably make some bank that way. And a city like that you might need even need a car - you probably bike ride, motor scooter, rollerblade, skate, on even walk orders around. The only issue with NYC is the cost of living like rent.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 03:30 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
You really have no boss
False.

Each and every customer is your boss. If you don't believe me, take the meal and don't deliver it to them. See what happens to you.

Quote:
Maybe a city like NYC would be best. Like go to Manhattan during the lunch and dinner rushes.
Perhaps you'd get more revenue, but will that extra revenue offset the higher cost of living? I doubt it.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:07 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Perhaps you'd get more revenue, but will that extra revenue offset the higher cost of living? I doubt it.

90+% of such delivery drivers appear to be immigrants. I imagine many of them live in low income housing quite a bit away from the high income areas they primarily serve.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
90+% of such delivery drivers appear to be immigrants. I imagine many of them live in low income housing quite a bit away from the high income areas they primarily serve.
Maybe you could find cheaper housing in parts of New Jersey or Long Island.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
From some of the YouTubers I have seen that do this for a living or as a side hustle, it seems that the tips are where they make most of their money, so I guess finding a place where people tend to tip well and consistently, would be one of the keys to earn some good/great money doing this.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,809,458 times
Drive in NYC and live in Newark.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:32 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
5 hours a day at $100.

Take away fuel ($15 to $30), wear and tear on your vehicle/tires (hard to quantify), the stress of constantly being in traffic and on a deadline..........that's not a lot of money for a fairly crappy job, imho. If that type of work interests you, why not go for a FedEx/UPS type delivery driver job? They make good money, it has good benefits and you're driving their vehicles, not your own. I know you have to work your way up for most of those jobs but I'd still rather do that vs. Uber Eats.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:55 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
5 hours a day at $100.

Take away fuel ($15 to $30), wear and tear on your vehicle/tires (hard to quantify), the stress of constantly being in traffic and on a deadline..........that's not a lot of money for a fairly crappy job, imho. If that type of work interests you, why not go for a FedEx/UPS type delivery driver job? They make good money, it has good benefits and you're driving their vehicles, not your own. I know you have to work your way up for most of those jobs but I'd still rather do that vs. Uber Eats.
1) It's very easy to quantify: IRS mileage deduction is 56 cents per mile.

2) FedEx/UPS don't let you set your own hours. Also, you typically have to work a good amount of time throwing boxes/loading trucks before you get the opportunity to have your own route. It's super demanding/stressful.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:35 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
So I was watching a few videos on Uber Eats drivers. It seems like a good job. You really have no boss, you set your own hours, all you really do is drive around. One guy was saying he works 5 hours a day, making $100 a day. All you need is a reliable and fuel efficient vehicle.

But that got me wondering, what would be the best cities to do Uber Eats or Doordash? I don't a small city in the Midwest would be good for that kind of thing. Maybe a city like NYC would be best. Like go to Manhattan during the lunch and dinner rushes. You could probably make some bank that way. And a city like that you might need even need a car - you probably bike ride, motor scooter, rollerblade, skate, on even walk orders around. The only issue with NYC is the cost of living like rent.

What do you think?

One video of someone crowing about making $100 in 5 hours. I have a hard time believing that is a consistent number week in and week out. And while you may be able to set your own hours don't believe you will just be able to go in and cherry pick the best hours or the best areas. I wouldn't be surprised if the system has some algorithms built in reward drivers who put in more hours and cover the less profitable hours.

I also suspect there is in really good markets there is a hierarchy (even if unofficial) that controls who gets what runs. A similar 'operation' was uncovered several years ago at some airports where drivers were getting shaken down to be allowed to take desirable runs by a local 'organizer'. Supposedly Uber and Lyft didn't know it was happening when the police went in and busted it up.

Then there are the cases where you get stiffed (people complain about the service and file complaints and of course don't tip) or claim after you leave the order was wrong and demand money back from the delivery service. I suspect the driver eats most of that cost also.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:09 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Try it & find out. I don't take youtubers at face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment