Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 11:57 AM

808 posts, read 540,885 times

Advertisements

I've retired from the tech sector. While I was a working software developer, I took advantage of several opportunities to join organizations purportedly designed to support women in non-traditional fields, as well as supposedly helping women advance in their careers.

I can say they were pretty much all a waste of time and money.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board found value in one of these organizations, and what that value was.

I found them mostly to be marketing platforms for sales people with an agenda, usually led by clueless marketing people, or people who wanted to use it as a platform to advance their own careers.

Maybe I just didn't know how to work the system?

(that is such a female thing to do - assume I was the person doing it wrong! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 12:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,072 times
Not a woman, so just putting that out there. But I would assume, as with a lot of these types of organizations, you get what you put into it. For some people, it might just be the best opportunity they have at networking (especially with WFH being so prevalent). For others, it might be a way to keep a finger on the pulse of latest market trends in the field or industry. And yet others may simply use it for no other purpose than to meander and socialize.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:39 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
My daughter belonged to several while in college with a mixed bag of results. I think she found the best results in being active in a traditional professional society vs a women's only support group. I think being active with your peers regardless of sex creates opportunities for all. You remember those folks who were on a committee with you.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I've retired from the tech sector. While I was a working software developer, I took advantage of several opportunities to join organizations purportedly designed to support women in non-traditional fields, as well as supposedly helping women advance in their careers.

I can say they were pretty much all a waste of time and money.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board found value in one of these organizations, and what that value was.

I found them mostly to be marketing platforms for sales people with an agenda, usually led by clueless marketing people, or people who wanted to use it as a platform to advance their own careers.

What were your expectations? I've seen such orgs offer career info, work at the college level, facilitate mentoring and networking.

What were you looking for that you didn't see or get?

Old 08-27-2021, 09:07 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
I don't know about women's career organizations, but churches depend on women to get the jobs done. Single males like me who attend church on a regular basis are rare.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:47 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My daughter belonged to several while in college with a mixed bag of results. I think she found the best results in being active in a traditional professional society vs a women's only support group. I think being active with your peers regardless of sex creates opportunities for all. You remember those folks who were on a committee with you.
Agree with this. What ends up mattering more is that you participate in your chosen field.

When I first started out in my chosen field it was dominated by men though that's not the case now. I felt from the beginning that gender was just a personal detail. Didn't have much to do with the work. I still feel that way. If you can't empower yourself, that's a problem regardless what gender you happen to be. Every once in a while I'd see announcements or flyers about professional women's organizations pop up. I did know women who joined them, but in conversations with them about it, I often got the feeling they didn't really offer anything other than I had already gained from doing the work, doing my own networking, being professional, and trying to be inclusive from the get go. Maybe there are women who don't develop those professional abilities without mentoring. Just didn't happen to be one of them.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:59 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
Quote:
That's terrible but not entirely unanticipated....My former supervisor said something similar.

"[Race] in... " unfortunately has been a lackluster experience as well.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:22 PM

6,968 posts, read 2,699,716 times
Women are competitive with each other to the point of throwing each other under the bus whenever it benefits them. These "women in" networks are a joke. They don't support other women at all. They will put on fake smiles and pretend to get along, but it does not transfer to the work environment. My wife had a manager who refused to share her network and that is what it's supposed to be about.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:51 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:

I believe at one time, these special interest groups just for women served a purpose and had good intentions. But I see few of them active in that sort of situation. For example, if you are software developer look to network with software development situations in general not those designed especially for women. I guess in the workplace I see so many women in positions of management, that I don't know if they really need the help in 2021. I think it greatly depends on the field and the companies you are working at. I think for young women, such as in school it might be helpful to them.

So-called networking events in general are kind of a waste of time. Those are usually full of people ready to hand you their business card and want to setup a time to sell you something you don't need. What you really need to do is do networking through specific groups of things that interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment