Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 09:11 AM

2,146 posts, read 1,501,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I know several Pharmacists. They might not call it a residency but there were a couple years after graduating Pharmacy school (that was several years of graduate school after their undergraduate degree) and had a ton of debt. A fair amount of their salary from CVS and Walgreens goes to paying off that debt.

They are not Medical Doctors but Doctors of Pharmacy.
My dad was a pharmacist and had his own store in a small town. He made a good salary but consider where we lived....in a small northern mid west town out in the boonies. One day I asked him how it felt to make so much money (to me it seemed that way) and he replied "$120,00.00 a year is nothing but $120,000.00 worth of headaches."
Whatever that meant....and there....that is your interview from someone who "has been there/done that."

Old 08-26-2021, 09:20 AM

3,400 posts, read 2,051,362 times
One of the most important skills needed to being successful in life is being able to communicate effectively. There are so many ways your post could have been worded without coming across (hmmm, not sure what I'm allowed to say here but you get my drift.) Your post doesn't show you in the best light. Your reference to "Karens" shows you have no problem lumping people into categories in a negative way.

Drive, ambition and the knowledge that there is usually (not always) a correlation between the amount of money one makes to the level of difficulty in the profession are things to be aware of. Think of the most successful sales people and how few make hundreds of thousands of dollars. People in commissioned sales who make the big bucks have been through enormous amounts of rejection that others couldn't handle. People who make a lot of money usually spend a lot of time honing their skills whether through education or actual on the job training.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make a lot of money. It does take more than just wanting it to make it happen. Look to people who have been successful in a field that you think you might enjoy and ask nicely, without putting other people down, for their advice and a possible mentorship.

Many times people are flattered when asked for advice. There's a national group of retired business owners who like to help ambitious young people. The organization is called S.C.O.R.E.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:21 AM

15,932 posts, read 7,917,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Become a lawyer. 4 years college plus 3 years law school. Pass the bar exam and you get a license to rake in the money hand over fist.
The average pay for new law school graduates is less than $50,000. Overall, it's not as lucrative as people think.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:30 AM

15,895 posts, read 20,861,079 times
I can understand where the OP is coming from. Neither one of my parents graduated HS because I was a nice surprise for them. My childhood consisted of playing with rocks and boxes and fond memories of buying a new toy when a local store went out of business and had a fire sale. My poor dad was working from 6AM to 11PM pretty much 7 days a week just to support us.

To get where you want to be requires a lot of hard work. Schooling, studying, internships (if applicable) and working your way up the ladder. You also need to be somewhat good in the field you pick. Just saying "I'm going to be xxx" doesn't automatically mean you will have a successful career.

I'm an engineering manager these days. It took a lot of hard work to get to this point. Our new hires start at $80K plus bonus right out of school. After a couple years they can promote to something in the 100's and then you keep moving up. We've had a few fresh engineering grads wash out and change careers completely. It happens.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:54 AM

5,123 posts, read 6,195,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Welcome to my world. I got a BA degree but spent nearly a decade in warehousing and distribution with like a month experience in office logistics. I'm currently earning the highest wage I've ever made but my contract could expire at any time.

Forget 200K, I'd settle for half at this point. Heck if you convince me I'll settle for a a quarter of that minimum. I yearn to be middle class rather than just working class. Don't even need a big fancy house; just an apartment in a quieter, semi-affluent part of a city or metro.
SInce when did Middle Class exclude working class? At least in most areas I grew up the blue collar 'working class' were pretty affluent skilled workers. Also having a BA hasn't been more than an entry ticket to the work force for 40 years. It began when attending college was a way of avoiding the draft. The main mission of the Guidance department in my high school was to find schools that the average (or below average) graduating males could be accepted at.

After that it became easy for companies to add a check off box during their application process for 'college graduate' and assume that anyone who couldn't figure a way to avoid the draft wasn't worth considering for even entry level jobs. Before that major companies like IBM hired many people out of high school and put them in training programs. Many of those people rose high up in the organization. Since that point most companies start their training program after college.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 61,498,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
SInce when did Middle Class exclude working class? At least in most areas I grew up the blue collar 'working class' were pretty affluent skilled workers. Also having a BA hasn't been more than an entry ticket to the work force for 40 years. It began when attending college was a way of avoiding the draft. The main mission of the Guidance department in my high school was to find schools that the average (or below average) graduating males could be accepted at.

After that it became easy for companies to add a check off box during their application process for 'college graduate' and assume that anyone who couldn't figure a way to avoid the draft wasn't worth considering for even entry level jobs. Before that major companies like IBM hired many people out of high school and put them in training programs. Many of those people rose high up in the organization. Since that point most companies start their training program after college.
That was up until Viet Nam. Once that got cooking most companies wouldn't hire any male of draft age due to thinking that once that guy hit 19 he'd be drafted and the company would lose that year of training for at least two years.

On a more global note, I find this thread, and its premise, mildly disgusting.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:34 AM

12,140 posts, read 23,511,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Become a lawyer. 4 years college plus 3 years law school. Pass the bar exam and you get a license to rake in the money hand over fist.
That's not how it works.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:43 AM

11,224 posts, read 6,844,442 times
The little I know about the billionaires, didn't they set out to do / accomplish something they loved and were passionate about? Starting out in garages, tinkering around to create a dream they had?

The dream itself wasn't necessarily becoming incredibly rich at the beginning. Even Ford, didn't he basically want the average Joe to be able to afford a car?

Just seems to me their goals were not JUST to make the big bucks, but to pursue their passion....

Old 08-26-2021, 11:27 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,267 posts, read 4,401,926 times
All I can discern from the OP is a strong sense of entitlement (which is ironic when you consider the screen name of "Therearenoshortcuts..."), which tells me all I need to know. The rest of you can discuss this until you're blue in the face, but there's no fixing someone like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment