Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 06:24 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,951,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Doesn't apply to me I need to be where my lab and equipment are, though I'd prefer more people WFH to keep the darn traffic down.
Exactly. It benefits everyone, particularly those who have to be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 06:37 PM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 19 days ago)

11,349 posts, read 7,414,783 times
No worries, no problems, no hassles, here. WHF 100% from here out, in a system that keeps making more and more sense over time. WHF is the biggest blessing for our company, beyond anyone's wildest dream.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:59 PM

6,281 posts, read 4,732,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'm an essential employee, so none of this WFH stuff applies to me. Last week I read an article that said people were quitting their job rather than go back to the office. Today I read an article that said more people wanted to return to a dedicated workspace rather than WFH. In either case, find a job that works for you.
It doesn't apply to me either.

And while I am sure there are many employees who WFH who are good employees/hard workers, and some people have been made to work from home when that wouldn't be their preference, there is also a sense of entitlement that I'm seeing many people who WFH have gotten.

This is particularly noted given the stress and possible danger to their very lives essential workers who work around a lot of people have had to put up with the last 18 months, such as abuse from customers or even coworkers who don't want to follow safety rules, etc., while the WFH crowd hasn't had to deal with any of that.

There are some days that I'd rather not go in the office either, and would prefer to just be hanging out at home, but I still go in because someone needs to be there to perform my role properly the way my particular workplace is structured. We could possibly be hybrid and I would enjoy that, but my workplace culture and field is very traditional so we're not. It's not my call as to whether WFH could happen or not anyway, but my position and the positions of my colleagues aren't the types of jobs someone could just walk off the street and do without an advanced degree, specialized experience, and certain certifications.

Perhaps my semi-retirement days will be "work from home".

Last edited by Jowel; 08-24-2021 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-24-2021, 08:14 PM

1,100 posts, read 895,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Um... that's not an excuse. It's a legitimate concern that specific CEO raised. And there is no indication in that article saying that CEO is even against WFH. They simply said that dealing with a potential higher turnover rate is a concern.
The extended and maximized unemployment benefits are causing the turnover. People are getting something for nothing.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:09 PM

7,064 posts, read 9,163,090 times
My wife hasn't set foot in the office since Mar '20, and there is really no need to. She does software support (government accounting) and it was all remote work anyway, no clients ever came to the office. Her other job (P/T for a large outdoor products company) sold off their call centers even before the WuFlu happened and went to WFH.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:32 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,135,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'm an essential employee, so none of this WFH stuff applies to me. Last week I read an article that said people were quitting their job rather than go back to the office. Today I read an article that said more people wanted to return to a dedicated workspace rather than WFH. In either case, find a job that works for you.
Well said.

I have no problem either way. I've worked in an office throughout most of 2021, up until recently. Only thing that really bothered me was early on (late 2020) when some of the colleagues weren't respecting mask mandates.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:31 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,951,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is particularly noted given the stress and possible danger to their very lives essential workers who work around a lot of people have had to put up with the last 18 months, such as abuse from customers or even coworkers who don't want to follow safety rules, etc., while the WFH crowd hasn't had to deal with any of that.
Let's say hypothetically you're a school crossing guard or a building inspector.

Wouldn't you love being able to find parking instantly instead of it taking 30 minutes adding to your commute from site to site?

Wouldn't it be great to only have to deal with 2 annoying co-workers instead of 12 in-person?

Wouldn't it be great to have the slackers be at home instead of in the way? (They were just taking up space and chatting away, anyways)

Wouldn't it be great to have your commute time cut in half because there's literally no accidents, traffic jams?

I could go on and on, but the point is when WFH is am option for others, you also benefit.

When everyone was away from NYC it was a paradise. Now it's returning to hell again....

Old 08-26-2021, 01:10 PM

23,955 posts, read 33,955,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
New excuses are being made by employers that want their remote workers back in the office. "Disassociating" from your workplace and playing Mr. or Ms. Dress Up are two of them. These traditional and reactionary companies just have to have their employees working the "correct" way - in the office under the watchful eyes of management.

https://news.yahoo.com/employees-get...110306951.html

Remote workers say they're happier, but working from home brings its own problems

Quote:
A survey of over 4,000 UK office workers by Microsoft and YouGov found that more than half (56%) felt they were happier when they were able to work from home. However, this positive attitude towards remote working does not necessarily translate to the work itself.

Nearly one in three (30%) of those surveyed said they were working more hours while working from home, with 53% saying they felt they had to be available at all times, as well as take fewer breaks (52%).

Old 08-27-2021, 08:03 AM

35,349 posts, read 31,793,012 times
I think most people get bored or frustrated from time to time.

I had two really slow days earlier this week where the day just ground on. That's easier to handle in the office if you have someone to talk to. You sometimes do feel divorced from the work, but I'm not sure that's anything specific to telecommuting.

With that said, I have no idea to back to full time, butt in seat office work.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:39 AM

6,520 posts, read 9,922,299 times
I didn't like wfh at first, but after setting my office up properly I really enjoy it now. I do a LOT more work because its easy to just login and check email or status of things. when I wake up early I dont have to waste time before going to work, I just sign on and start. I still go into the office for hardware problems or changes we make, but other than that I am grateful for each day I get to wfh from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment