Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2021, 08:34 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,625,189 times

Advertisements

Long story short 4 months ago I left an amazing job out west to be relocated back to the east coast. The company I had previously worked (before taking the west coast job) for rehired me but with the idea I had to basically work my way back up into my management position I had held previously with the company. I did it for several reasons the main one being that I actually enjoyed my time there and only left bc my partner and I had our sights set on living out west. I have been back for 4 months; some positions did open up but they told me one person higher up who makes the ultimate decision said he wouldn’t sign off on me getting promoted until I’ve been back 6 months.

I took a large pay cut to come back ; I mean large!! I started looking at jobs while I was back here and I found one in particular, interviewed for it (quite an exhausting interview process; took over a month to prepare then a panel). Fast track to two weeks ago.. they gave the job I originally applied for to ab internal applicant however offered me that persons job (who is still in management but one step below the one I applied for).

This job offer pays me more than I’ve ever made before and I only 4 miles from my apartment vs. 35 miles to my current job making a lot less in a non management role.

If I take this job I know the same person holding me back now will not allow me to ever come back.. and my door in this company will be closed. This is tough bc the culture is more my style rather than the one I might be moving to.

Should I continue to wait for a management role in my current company where I have no idea when I might get promoted (I won’t even be eligible until 2 more months) or take this one that is a sure thing?

My paycheck will go up $800 a MONTH and that’s a BIG factor for me. I originally turned down this companies original offer; they came back to me with this one a week later.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Last edited by Teebyrd86; 08-24-2021 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: I said $800 a week meant $800 a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 09:18 AM

779 posts, read 426,667 times
There are a lot of details we obviously don't know about your situation, but in general I'd lean towards a fresh start at the new company.

I've never returned to a previous employer although I've had them reach out asking if I was interested in coming back. One of the main reasons for not going back is what you describe. This concern over being held back or even "punished" because of the history. Maybe after 6 months back everything will turn out great. Or maybe they'll keep passing you up because they think you're going to leave again. It's impossible to say. I just feel like I have enough to worry about career wise without adding the worry about someone holding a grudge because I left then came back.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:22 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,344,282 times
You are using your current employer as a safety net. Stop it. If you left me twice, I wouldn't take you back anyway.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:33 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,625,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are using your current employer as a safety net. Stop it. If you left me twice, I wouldn't take you back anyway.
Safety net? Hardly

I know I won’t be able to come back that’s part of the reason I’m hesitant to take the new job. I came back to my current employer because I enjoyed working there and love the company however it’s difficult to live on what I currently make and I can’t wait much longer for a promotion.

I had to move back to the east coast to help care for an ill friend who recently passed away.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2021, 11:52 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,344,282 times
I see. Unless you have some reason to believe the new company would be unbearable, I'd rather have the raise. Put in a year or two and then find a better fit if you don't like it. Promotions are too much of a crap shoot. You might get promoted in 3 months; you might not get promoted for 3 years. The new company has offered you a job twice, so you are obviously a good candidate.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:58 AM

130,749 posts, read 12,197,426 times
$800 a month more & a short commute, take it. You might have to wait for years before you get a promotion at the old company. It's Ok to say Goodbye.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:48 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,242,408 times
Take the new job, you were woefully underpaid in the old job.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,850 times
I've never returned to a previous employer although I've had them reach out asking if I was interested in coming back. $1000 a month more & a short commute, take it. you might not get promoted for 3 years. The new company has offered you a job twice, so you are obviously a good candidate.Mod cut: no links from new posters with less than 10 posts.

Last edited by Mikala43; 09-05-2021 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-05-2021, 10:43 AM

997 posts, read 712,916 times
If the new job your current company offered is still $800 short of what you would get at a new company--I would take the new job. Plus the commute is shorter! That's a big gamechanger unless you don't mind long commutes.

Given your history and they way they are treating you--I think you are being punished. They know you can do the higher paying job but you were intentionally passed over. You don't need to go back to current company ever again. That bridge is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment