Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 10:54 AM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 20 days ago)

11,349 posts, read 7,414,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
This just in: employers attempt to pay employees less than what they bring in for the business in order to profit off of them!

WHY AREN'T YOU OUTRAGED!!!
So what are you going to do about them paying less so they can make more profit? Huh? Tell us exactly how you're going to change the thousands of employers across this country.

I'm not outraged because getting angry wouldn't change squat. I'm not some emotional simpleton and puppet who people/media try to spin and wind up to get angry and emotional for self-destruction. Cut those damn puppet strings dude! Take a look at yourself, and think for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 11:27 AM

8,390 posts, read 3,904,948 times
Quote:
Might be a communication problem at the school, with not clearly explaining to students what they are learning. I never really heard much about AGILE or LEAN until several years into my career. Granted, I'm not in software development, but those philosophies can be used along all business lines. I'm currently in an accounting program that is very career-oriented, and they still drop the ball with teaching students about relevant business tools and topics. For instance, why doesn't a large component of the program consist of learning some of the relevant tools and systems you'll need to know how to use in the job? Why aren't we learning VBA? Advanced Excel? BI platforms like Tableau or Cognos? Data mining? All of these are prevalent and essential tools in decision-making business roles today. Yet, many programs don't touch on any of it.

The only reason I know this is because I spent the past 13 years in Corporate America. If not for that, I'd have no idea what I was missing out on.
I learned SCRUM in a class and we used it for research projects. AGILE and LEAN are relatively new to the software industry with it picking up in the 90s and having mass adoption in the early 2000s. But in other industries (largely manufacturing) LEAN dates back many more decades.

The reason why your program doesn't include VBA, Excel, Tableau, etc. is because you are likely in a college program rather than a job training program. Seek out professional training schools for this.

BTW, I learned data mining in college as well.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:46 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,636,541 times
Quote:
This just in: employers attempt to pay employees less than what they bring in for the business in order to profit off of them!

WHY AREN'T YOU OUTRAGED!!!
Well yeah, that's why capitalism is inherently exploitative.

In this case the more immediate problem is that companies are too short-sighted to train workers for the future. The whole economy can't operate on a churn and burn model even if that is attractive to individual companies. Tragedy of the labor market commons, or something.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:56 PM

6,332 posts, read 6,922,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Throw in my personal favorite...

Job title: Entry-Level Account Executive (AKA person who makes cold calls)

Job requirements:

* Must be a highly motivated team player
* Must be goal oriented with exceptional attention to detail
* Must be able to multitask between 3-17 different objectives
* Must have 5+ years experience in related field
* Must have bachelor's degree in Business Management
* Must be available to work weekdays, weekends, holidays, nights, 3rd shift, and on call.
* Must be willing to relocate
* Must go first 90 days without getting sick, having a family emergency, or anything that might indicate that you're a human being
* Health benefits are not available at this time
* Sick/personal days (which we get mad at you for using) will accrue at the rate of .0001 hours for every 37 full work days completed (taking a pee during work will negate entire work day)
* 15 minute break for lunch
* Pay Rate $12.50/hour
* .... Oh yeah, and you must have a positive attitude!
I hope the employees unionize here

Old 08-25-2021, 03:58 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,135,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So what are you going to do about them paying less so they can make more profit? Huh? Tell us exactly how you're going to change the thousands of employers across this country.

I'm not outraged because getting angry wouldn't change squat. I'm not some emotional simpleton and puppet who people/media try to spin and wind up to get angry and emotional for self-destruction. Cut those damn puppet strings dude! Take a look at yourself, and think for yourself.
I was being facetious.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:04 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,135,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
In this case the more immediate problem is that companies are too short-sighted to train workers for the future. The whole economy can't operate on a churn and burn model even if that is attractive to individual companies. Tragedy of the labor market commons, or something.
I don't disagree with that particular assessment. I think it's a bigger problem with larger organizations. Smaller orgs with tighter budgets don't have the fiscal flexibility to be so choosy. They have to take what they can get, and that often means someone with less experience or less education. If you want to work at Google, then expect the competition to be stiff. But if you're willing to consider lower pay at a smaller or midsize organization, you might find the leg up that you were looking for.

At the end of the day, if this is the path that most companies choose, then it will eventually catch up to them in the form of an inexperienced talent pool and high labor costs for the few that have experience. That's just basic economics.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:08 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,314,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
"2+ years in REST frameworks with focus on API development; 1+ years in AGILE methodology; 1+ years’ experience integrating with backend services"

So basically someone who attended college? It's still entry level if they're looking for college graduates.
This is hilariously out of touch.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:50 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,951,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
As always, we can either spend out time consumed with looking around and seeing/finding/obsessing about what's wrong (with whatever, fill in the blank), or we can put all our time and attention in doing the best that we can with what we can control, and move forward.

The internet and this forum certainly has its share of the first group. Thankfully, some of the rest of us belong in the latter, healthier group.
At a certain point the only thing the youths can do is make noise. Because you have no experience to leverage at that age.

Many of you are clearly older and don't remember what it was like starting out. And even if you do remember - Times have changed. There simply are not enough living wage jobs for all the grads.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
This is hilariously out of touch.
Unfortunately this is the status quo on here. A lot of these guys "pulled themselves up by their bootstraps" in the 80s/90s and (let's be generous here) early 00s.

But after 2008 in my opinion all bets were off. Everything capsized and unrealistic expectations began.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
At the end of the day, if this is the path that most companies choose, then it will eventually catch up to them in the form of an inexperienced talent pool and high labor costs for the few that have experience. That's just basic economics.
The chickens have FINALLY come home to roost. After years of ignoring my requests to bring in new talent my F100 can now no longer get barely any qualified applicants for the openings we have now.

I find no solace in being right on this. I'm one foot out of the door anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment