Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 10:52 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

I don't assign any time frame to it. But I do know when enough is enough, and that's the point of departure (at my direction and choice).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 11:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It's up to the individual and circumstances, but best not be too hasty. When I started a new job in 2009 I soon discovered that the previous two people had been fired and left a mess. My supervisor was fairly new and didn't know the system/work that I was doing, so it was up to me to learn it on my own. After a week I wondered whether I had made a bad mistake. Then I discovered that there was a test system, and with help from IT was able to get it updated to match the production system. That enabled me to do a lot of trial and error without affecting any of the customer accounts, and was soon up to speed, and able to start correcting all of the problems. Since then I have had annual performance based raises and two promotions, currently making more than double what I made when I started.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Default You're in it, to Win it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
How do I know if changing jobs is going to be a plus for me? What if I am out of the frying pan, into the fire? How can I judge an unknown environment compared to what is known but appears to make me unhappy? Don't have a lot of options here in my current town or anywhere else for that matter so I went ahead and applied.
One thing I remember that is mentioned in the first addition of "What Color is My Parachute", is a mistake most often made is the applicant sometimes fails to realize they are looking at the (ethics and moral of) employer just as much as the employer may be looking at them. All the things that apply to an applicant, also applies to the employer as well.

Change the dynamics ...

Be prepared at the interview to ask questions, so as to determine whether or not you really want to work there, before you say yes, to the opportunity.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:20 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's up to the individual and circumstances, but best not be too hasty. When I started a new job in 2009 I soon discovered that the previous two people had been fired and left a mess. My supervisor was fairly new and didn't know the system/work that I was doing, so it was up to me to learn it on my own. After a week I wondered whether I had made a bad mistake. Then I discovered that there was a test system, and with help from IT was able to get it updated to match the production system. That enabled me to do a lot of trial and error without affecting any of the customer accounts, and was soon up to speed, and able to start correcting all of the problems. Since then I have had annual performance based raises and two promotions, currently making more than double what I made when I started.
Those Eureka moments are rare now. And often it's not just one system or process that is broken. In today's corporate environment, typically there are so many things broken that the company is irreparably flawed and needs to be Chapter 7/11/13'd but the dumb shareholders keep the Zombie alive as long as they can milk it, or maybe deliberately for a tax loss harvesting strategy.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:15 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I started a job a while back and within one week....ONE WEEK....I knew it wasn't going to be a long-term play for me. I kept interviewing with other applications I had already submitted and found something in about 3 weeks to transition into. Those 3 weeks were looooooong and reinforced my decision to keep looking.

After the lady who was my boss emailed me at 6pm asking why I wasn't online still working, also questioning why I didn't work over the weekend, I quit via email. "Sorry, today was my last day. Good luck." Done.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
After the lady who was my boss emailed me at 6pm asking why I wasn't online still working, also questioning why I didn't work over the weekend, I quit via email. "Sorry, today was my last day. Good luck." Done.
You were working from home? What were your hours and the terms of your employment? Were you SUPPOSED to be working after 6 and on weekends? Just curious...

Old 08-24-2021, 09:53 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
As many have said its going to depend on the job but I try to give a job at least 3 months unless I really, really hate it from the beginning. That being said the longer question is how long will it take to find the next job? You may decide 4 months in, "this is not the job for me" but it may take many months to find another job.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:17 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You were working from home? What were your hours and the terms of your employment? Were you SUPPOSED to be working after 6 and on weekends? Just curious...
Yes, from home. No, during interviews and after being hired it was relayed that "occasional" OT would be needed but in the first week I noticed my supervisor (who had no kids) and a few people who were on my team (one had grown kids, others had none) seemed to live for work and were online from 7am through midnight most days and several of them worked all day/night over the weekend. No thanks, just not worth the comp I was offered.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:04 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
If I was younger I'd be having a field day ... I still might.

Workers quit: It's not me, it's you (LinkedIn)

one reply:
"Your employees aren't leaving just because they've found better opportunities elsewhere. They're leaving because this is the first chance they've gotten to re-balance the scales of their own wellbeing and success, scales that you and your company swung out of whack during the pandemic.

60-hour WFH workweek? Employees hated that. "

another reply :
"The bottom line is that it's an employee's market at the moment."

Old 08-24-2021, 01:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Is 9 months on the job enough to know that you aren't going to be happy? Even when the pandemic ends I don't foresee really enjoying this job.
Yes. I've decided to start a job search for another job in less than 9 months on a job before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment