Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 07:39 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times

Advertisements

There are news reports in the past few days about a high-powered professional who accidentally emailed a sensitive internal document to his and his client's adversary. It got publicized, and even the document is now posted online.

I find that horrifying. We all make mistakes, particularly sending emails to the wrong people. Surely everyone has done that--or will do that--at least once.

When you receive an email by mistake, don't you delete it and maybe notify the sender? Some professions have codes of conduct that require that. But even if you don't work in a field with a code of conduct, wouldn't you do that?

The professional is probably incurring a lot of career damage right now. But to me the bad guy in this situation is the recipient of the email, who published it online and sent it to the press instead of deleting it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 07:55 AM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
Did he Reply to All? Not look at the auto-filled names in the To box? Aside from being embarrassing, it can be devastating to a company.

But, to answer your question, when I receive an email clearly not meant to me, I delete it after notifying the sender.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:01 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
There are news reports in the past few days about a high-powered professional who accidentally emailed a sensitive internal document to his and his client's adversary. It got publicized, and even the document is now posted online.

I find that horrifying. We all make mistakes, particularly sending emails to the wrong people. Surely everyone has done that--or will do that--at least once.

When you receive an email by mistake, don't you delete it and maybe notify the sender? Some professions have codes of conduct that require that. But even if you don't work in a field with a code of conduct, wouldn't you do that?

The professional is probably incurring a lot of career damage right now. But to me the bad guy in this situation is the recipient of the email, who published it online and sent it to the press instead of deleting it.

Thanks.

I haven't been on the receiving end of an email sent to the wrong person (sent to me), but I've sent non-sensitive emails to the wrong "John A. Smith" out of my institution's directory a couple of times. Both times the recipient kindly replied to me and said I had the wrong John Smith. I found this very courteous and helpful. Considering it, I would not just delete an email sent to me by mistake...I'd just reply to the sender and tell em you've got the wrong guy.

Old 08-14-2021, 09:44 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
...I would not just delete an email sent to me by mistake...I'd just reply to the sender and tell em you've got the wrong guy.
Yup - I've done this exact thing a few times over the years
(I work for a large DoD laboratory located in Southern California - there is someone else who shares my name working for another DoD laboratory on the East coast, and I occasionally receive emails clearly intended for him - when I reply to the sender I include my doppelganger on the "To" line; I would hope he would reciprocate if anything intended for me gets sent to him by mistake).

Old 08-14-2021, 10:59 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Heh! Had a temp service accidentally included me in an email that discussed planned removals of Temps not performing well. Replied that "I'll keep this quiet, but don't keep me on the list"

They responded "Thanks" and included a (embarrassed emoj)

Old 08-14-2021, 02:42 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I would definitely reply to sender informing them of what I felt was a mistake. I would leave the message entirely alone (no forwarding, re-directing, sharing, deleting, etc) until they respond to me.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:48 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I had a Vice Principal that would do that, email observations and evaluation documents for a teacher not to just the involved teacher but the rest of the staff.

Just one more reason I walked out of the building after almost 31 years the last Wednesday of October 2014 and never returned. It was really the recommendation that I have more Kleenex stations around the room that pushed it over the edge.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:49 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
I haven't been on the receiving end of an email sent to the wrong person (sent to me), but I've sent non-sensitive emails to the wrong "John A. Smith" out of my institution's directory a couple of times. Both times the recipient kindly replied to me and said I had the wrong John Smith. I found this very courteous and helpful. Considering it, I would not just delete an email sent to me by mistake...I'd just reply to the sender and tell em you've got the wrong guy.
We do exactly that with emails and faxes.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:27 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
At my first job after graduating college, I was one of three people with the same first and last name. We all had unique middle initials. One of the other two was an executive in another division. I would receive many emails intended for him. My standard protocol was to forward the emails to him, notify the sender and then delete the email for my mailbox. In subsequent scenarios I try to do the same steps but if I don't know the intended recipient I will just notify the sender and delete once they acknowledge my communication. I never save improperly addressed emails, I have enough of a history of legitimate email clogging up my mailbox.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:55 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Our business email had a standard disclaimer .

Delete being the operative directive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment