Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 09:44 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times

Advertisements

At my job right now lots of changes are being made and its making some people frustrated and said...."I am going to HR" What can be accomplished when going to HR when a manager sends you to another dept? I didnt think they could do anything if the head of an agency decided to make changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 09:49 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
Nothing. HR is not your friend, they work to cover the company. Almost all changes go through HR for vetting (in a bigger company)

Old 08-11-2021, 09:51 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Nothing. HR is not your friend, they work to cover the company. Almost all changes go through HR for vetting (in a bigger company)
That's what I thought when someone who was placed in a new role said......."im going to HR"

Old 08-11-2021, 10:25 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
HR can easily make note of the complainers for the next round of layoffs.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:20 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
It depends on what you mean by going to another department, what you were hired to do, if there is a union or other contractual obligation, substantial change in hours or pay. In general, scheduling is a management right, but they can't reassign you from being a clerk in the mail room to repairing IT equipment.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:53 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Basically this. HR is for the employer, not for you.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:55 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
HR would just be like 'okay'. Next thing you know, you get walking papers. The best thing to do is quietly look for another job.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:27 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
At my job right now lots of changes are being made and its making some people frustrated and said...."I am going to HR" What can be accomplished when going to HR when a manager sends you to another dept? I didnt think they could do anything if the head of an agency decided to make changes.
People who go to complain to HR are under the mistaken belief of what the role of HR actually is. In every organization, the head of HR reports to upper management, they aren't some independent body which has any power. They aren't there to protect the employees. But for some reason, some people think that's what HR does and they don't. Anytime you go to HR to complain, they take notes and report the conversation to your manager. Then it is the manager that decides what to do about. The vast majority of the time, that employee is now labeled a troublemaker. This doesn't win any favors for the employee. After being hired you only talk with HR if it has to do with your benefits and possible corrections to payroll. The only control HR has, is over HR itself. They don't hire or fire anyone, they only do that under the direction of management.

Anyone who tells co-workers "I am going to HR" just revealed they have no clue as to how things work.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:40 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Agree with the rest. HR is basically expected to a robotic extension of ownership and if you are defiant, you be gone.

At best, you can ask a nice HR person how ownership will react if you defy or complain about one of their changes.

Ownership/management almost always knows how employees will react to the changes they make.

If you are lucky enough to work for a good company that actually cares about its employees, they will ask input from the employees before making a change.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:20 AM

202 posts, read 124,522 times
Likely, their next performance reviews won't be pretty and they will be managed out using a performance improvement plan or they will get laid off out of the blue for "business reasons."

HR is good for reporting serious issues like sexual harassment but not the garden variety "I don't like my manager," "so and so is being mean to me," "I don't like this new policy" types of complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment