Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 AM

858 posts, read 680,594 times

Advertisements

Every day I receive between five and ten emails, texts or phone calls wanting to talk to me about "great" employment opportunities.

They all ask for a current copy of my resume, will talk to me for 30 minutes then.....DISAPPEAR! "POOF"

They never contact me again. What is the point? Are they all just collecting resumes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 10:18 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Every day I receive between five and ten emails, texts or phone calls wanting to talk to me about "great" employment opportunities.

They all ask for a current copy of my resume, will talk to me for 30 minutes then.....DISAPPEAR! "POOF"

They never contact me again. What is the point? Are they all just collecting resumes?
Many of them are trying to hit their quotas for making contacts, collecting "candidates" for their database, without any real opportunities in the pipeline. The life of a recruiter at many of these staffing agencies is the life of a sales person. A lot of them are just trying to be busy so they can collect the paycheck.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:23 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Quote:

Are these third party recruiters or are they internal recruiters?

Third party recruiters have a quota of how many people people they have to talk to. So if they're wasting their time doing these phony-baloney screenings, they're not actually placing real candidates to jobs - and soon will be out of work because their commission check won't cover their rent. They'll quit to get a raise at a Mcjob instead.

Internal recruiters usually don't do this nonsense.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:

If these "great" employment opportunities were not jobs I applied for, I move on. Receiving traffic from companies that say, "We received your resume." when you did not apply, "We want to interview you for the position you applied for." when you did not apply for the position, or "We want to talk you about another position rather than the position you applied for." do not bode well.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:22 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:

Sure. In my line of work, they are 99% from some foreign country hiding behind a New Jersey business address or area code. They have ten seconds to convince me why I should speak with them, if-that. Cold calls get short end of the stick, send me an email first as my time bills at a couple hundred bucks/hour. And I send a response to them to the above effect should there be any pushback.

Legitimate retained recruiters are another ballgame entirely, and invariably have a vastly different approach to executive candidates.

I may be misreading but if the implication is 30 min x (5 or 10) conversations/day, we're looking at hours per day on the phone being trolled by bottom feeders? Not a chance. My resume is never handed out willy-nilly. LinkedIn is an up to date living profile of my work experience, swept thoroughly for impact by a couple professional services to maximize impact. That was money well spent. If they can't/won't get that, they're a fraud or resume harvester: the OP's question. 30 seconds after some jerk wants me "send a resume" I hang up. Maybe 10 seconds.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Are you sure these are even actual recruiters? There are many ways of hackers obtaining personal data from people.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:09 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Many of them are trying to hit their quotas for making contacts, collecting "candidates" for their database, without any real opportunities in the pipeline. The life of a recruiter at many of these staffing agencies is the life of a sales person. A lot of them are just trying to be busy so they can collect the paycheck.
Pretty much.

NO WAY they get paid for only successful placements...

Old 08-18-2021, 02:10 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Are you sure these are even actual recruiters? There are many ways of hackers obtaining personal data from people.
Not yet. But believe me that's coming too...

Old 09-02-2021, 04:51 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,485 times
Got a bunch of these in recent years as I started applying for contract work. One thing I did (recommended to me by a professional) was to remove my address from the Resume and just leave the city and state. I apply to local companies a lot, so did not want to remove my location entirely.

Am also considering removing my personal Linkedin URL from the Resume. I keep almost all of my Linkedin info (including photo) hidden from third parties who visit the URL.

The latest suspect outreach was from a local company with a reasonable website. However, after I sent in the Resume, a second person from the same company asked me for my Resume the next day.

Must be what "modest" suggested above regarding their achieving database submission quotas.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Hey TexasRoadkill, where are you applying with your resume?
If you apply at bigger job sites like LinkedIn, indeed, glassdoor, then this issue is not as common. One reason for that is that it's expensive to advertise there, so less risk for spam

Nura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment