Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 06:56 AM

73 posts, read 34,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I would have worked at the original Seattle Starbucks, when all the 'baristas' had pink and green hair and getting a coffee there was like getting a drink in "Cocktail." It was a performance....it was fun.....they were FAST.....
Now, the 'baristas' look at you like they're doing you a favor making you a $5 coffee. (I don't go there anymore unless I'm desparate.)

These may be fine for interim work while you figure out what you want to do with your life.......but...figure out what you want to do with your life. Eventually, you will become worn out being a server.
I am going to be working in child care but I just wanted to work at Starbucks part-time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 08:00 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,978,704 times
I rather stock shelfs for 8 hrs than serve very demanding coffer drinkers for 8 hrs no question.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:02 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,148,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I would have worked at the original Seattle Starbucks, when all the 'baristas' had pink and green hair and getting a coffee there was like getting a drink in "Cocktail." It was a performance....it was fun.....they were FAST.....
Now, the 'baristas' look at you like they're doing you a favor making you a $5 coffee. (I don't go there anymore unless I'm desparate.)

These may be fine for interim work while you figure out what you want to do with your life.......but...figure out what you want to do with your life. Eventually, you will become worn out being a server
I know the vast majority of those here on the W&E forum really like to believe this a niche forum for white collar workers, but....maybe it shouldn't be?

All jobs need done. There's nothing wrong with anyone trying to do an honest day's work. I think it'd be great if we'd see less condescending derision the few times people want to come to start threads that don't fit into some kind of model ideal. (Especially when it wasn't even asked for.)

Old 08-07-2021, 08:38 AM

5,776 posts, read 11,422,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How about working at the Starbucks inside the Kroger, we have that in Issaquah, WA.
In Tucson, AZ I often shopped at Fry's (Kroger chain in AZ) where there was a Starbucks inside the store. They also had a sit-down section, where (before Covid) you could park a shopping cart and sit down for a coffee. I often got a small brewed "Pikes Place" coffee and read my Kindle book for a bit while on a shopping trip. I also often chatted with the Starbucks manager there, who was always very friendly. She had worked for that Fry's store for about 30 years. The employees who manage and work at Starbucks inside the Kroger stores are Kroger employees, not Starbucks employees. As Kroger employees, they were well paid with good benefits. One big difference is they did not have a "Tips" jar at the register like a typical Starbucks (or any other coffee house) usually has.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:52 AM

9,504 posts, read 5,295,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The problem with Starbucks is that 'heroes' are now trying to one-up each other on Tik Tok by ordering the most complicated and time consuming drinks to make.

When you're in the middle of a very busy shift with impatient customers, imagine some A-hole thinking it's 'cute' to order a drink with 30 ingredients in it and requires modified cups to hold all the stuff.
Well, hang on now......what if the person wanting the complicated drink is NOT a hero or an A-hole?? They are the customer....and unless you don't make that drink, then you serve the customer what he wants.

In the old Starbucks days, this would be a nonstarter. It'd be done toot-sweet, with swagger and style, everyone would be impressed and be on their way with their Venti half-caf, soy latte with a shot of hazelnut and cinnamon sprinkled on top.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:03 AM

202 posts, read 125,376 times
It seems like bagging groceries, stocking shelves, or working as a cashier would be easier than making complicated drinks for people. People also tend to be finicky about food and drinks.

Typical grocery and barista jobs aren't exactly lucrative, so I'd just pick whichever one is easiest and is less stressful. If it were me, I'd work as a night stocker for a grocery store. You don't have to regularly put up with attitudes from the general public.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:43 PM

6,840 posts, read 11,595,458 times
I realize the OP is just looking for a fill-in job, but if they were looking long term, I might suggest grocery for the various ways your career could progress. Example: a friend’s son got a job as a sacker at age 16. Moved up to cashier and then produce clerk. Got acquainted with a merchandiser for a major food manufacturer, who offered him a part time job (by this time, kid was in college). Got promotions to fulltime merchandiser and then sales rep. He’s 43 now and still in the food business and pulling down good money.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:46 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,693,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I know the vast majority of those here on the W&E forum really like to believe this a niche forum for white collar workers, but....maybe it shouldn't be?

All jobs need done. There's nothing wrong with anyone trying to do an honest day's work. I think it'd be great if we'd see less condescending derision the few times people want to come to start threads that don't fit into some kind of model ideal. (Especially when it wasn't even asked for.)
Thanks for saying this. Not everyone has/had a gov't job or worked in IT.

When I moved to a tourist town, there was no jobs except tourist-related. I found a nice resort and worked there as a server prior to retirement. It was fun, great customers, wonderful scenery and I netted $30 an hour. Better than some corporate jobs!

If I was the OP and willing to work in service jobs, I'd try for a nice restaurant with good tips. You have to get the right place though. I went through 4 other restaurants who cheated all their employees until I found the right place.

The barista job, you have to stand in one place for so long, like a grocery checker. I'd find that difficult. You get to run around as a server and get your exercise at the same time!

Old 08-08-2021, 03:00 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,244,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_34 View Post
I'm going to be working as an early childhood assistant at a school during the week. And I just wanted to maybe work at Starbucks on the weekend it's just to earn some cash.
If this is only for earning some extra cash, any Mcjob will do.

If you're trying to move up in your career in early childhood education, perhaps work in a preschool part time?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:10 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,059,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

The barista job, you have to stand in one place for so long, like a grocery checker. I'd find that difficult. You get to run around as a server and get your exercise at the same time!
This is off topic but I've noticed that in various European countries the grocery store cashiers sit on stools. Has anyone ever seen this here?

And, I'm wondering, why not make it more comfortable for the cashier?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment