Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 09:36 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,351,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
I had worked for a software company (1995) where a sales guy was hired at, full salary/ commission to sell our products. Worked remotely due to client visits, maybe one day/ week in office. He also arranged this kind of job this with two other companies, so he was pulling 3 full time paychecks and commission simultaneously on whatever he sold and none of the 3 companies were wiser.
how was he getting commissions from 3 different companies simultaneously? Did the customer receive the order 3 times?

I'm not saying people don't try to cheat the system by working more than one job at a time. But no one is earning commission from multiple companies for selling the same product, the commission gets paid after the company receives and ships the order (in some industries, when they have been paid by the customer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 10:02 AM

478 posts, read 300,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
how was he getting commissions from 3 different companies simultaneously? Did the customer receive the order 3 times?
Umm, selling different products for 3 different companies?

Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 1,644,784 times
Or you can subcontract your work out and pocket the difference…

https://forums.theregister.com/forum...ces_job_china/

“…A security audit of a US critical infrastructure company last year revealed that its star developer had outsourced his own job to a Chinese subcontractor – and was spending all his work time playing around on the internet. The firm's telecommunications supplier Verizon was called in after the company set up a basic VPN system..”

Old 07-23-2021, 06:16 PM

46 posts, read 30,063 times
One Full time job plus one or more part time gigs is the way to do it. Let the part time jobs know your schedule is complicated and you can't take calls when ever. So you can always be available for the FT job.

The spouse can't know there are sidepieces...the sidepieces know where they stand but make sure they feel appreciated. :-)

Old 07-29-2021, 12:23 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,615,683 times
I’ve done it before several times. In most cases both jobs weren’t aware of each other. I’m a senior software engineer so it’s very very very rough. Whenever I’ve done it I’ve had little to no time to myself. So the burnout is serious. And of course the people I worked with notice a drop in my performance. A few time the job found out and I was fired on the spot.

It’s only good if you have 2 jobs with low workloads. Or management workloads. You really can’t be a high performer on the job. So you have to be somewhat average on both jobs. I have noticed whenever I do commit to 1 job I just kill it. Since I’m so use to managing multiple jobs I usually just blow a job away and over perform in projects. Leading me to get bore, leading me to get a 2nd job. Now I have more to focus on, so im content with one iob and I’ve saved enough money

Old 07-31-2021, 07:38 AM

315 posts, read 306,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I’ve done it before several times. In most cases both jobs weren’t aware of each other. I’m a senior software engineer so it’s very very very rough. Whenever I’ve done it I’ve had little to no time to myself. So the burnout is serious. And of course the people I worked with notice a drop in my performance. A few time the job found out and I was fired on the spot.

It’s only good if you have 2 jobs with low workloads. Or management workloads. You really can’t be a high performer on the job. So you have to be somewhat average on both jobs. I have noticed whenever I do commit to 1 job I just kill it. Since I’m so use to managing multiple jobs I usually just blow a job away and over perform in projects. Leading me to get bore, leading me to get a 2nd job. Now I have more to focus on, so im content with one iob and I’ve saved enough money
Wow, this is really insightful branh0913

Old 07-31-2021, 07:37 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,757,558 times
I am doing this now. Started out unintentionally where I got laid off, but got an immediate high paid, low stress contractor role that is a 3 month maternity backfill. Another contract role came up (all while I've been trying to find my next permanent role), and it's worked out great.

A good way to test these waters, when changing companies, simply don't tell company A you are quitting... Start at company B, and see how it goes. If it becomes too much, quit company A, which was the original plan anyway.

It helps if both roles are:

1)remote
2) 1099 (not W-2)
3) pacific/eastern time zone

Old 08-01-2021, 10:14 PM

72 posts, read 58,838 times
As someone who works remotely in IT, I would love to try this -- but my current job has SO many meetings every day it would likely be impossible.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:20 AM

35,282 posts, read 31,645,453 times
We just had a person leave for another company with a remote role and he’s 1099ing for us remotely on the side.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:44 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,700,907 times
I'm sure this happens all the time. My company has been hiring contractors from Texas at $85/hour. A lot of them can't be found during the work day or reply to messages hours later. And so we get rid of them after a few months to hire more. It's really tough finding good workers in IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment