Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 12:50 PM

73 posts, read 52,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I interviewed last Thursday with a company and I thought I did about average. They said I would hear back by the end of this week at the earliest.

Yesterday, the hiring manager called me and asked if I could meet with his boss for 30-60 minutes today. I said sure, and took time away from work to do so.

I don’t think I did as well as I should have in this interview. There was one question I answered and afterwards he stated “ I would also say this…” so I feel like I messed up with that because I didn’t mention something.

They said they would rank the candidates and let me know within a week.

Do you think I still have a shot? Also - the meeting was scheduled for 45 mins, and it only lasted like 25.

Last edited by StrangeFlounder; 07-21-2021 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 12:59 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Doesn't look good, but keep trying.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:57 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
It sounds like you're at the final level of interviewing so you've done well enough thus far. Your hiring manager's manager is about as high as it gets in a larger corporation (the CEO isn't going to interview you). Without knowing more specifics behind "I would say this...." it would be impossible for us to guess at what that meant. Interviewers understand that the people they're talking to can be nervous/forgetful/etc. and if it is not a job where you're going to be up in front of people speaking, I wouldn't get overly worried.

The 45/25 is mildly concerning simply because it sounds like you didn't take that extra time to ask this person questions. If I have time I always squeeze in as many questions as I can to sound as interested as possible, and to get them talking about themselves (Psychology 101...people and especially higher ups....LOVE to talk about themselves).

Old 07-21-2021, 02:01 PM

73 posts, read 52,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It sounds like you're at the final level of interviewing so you've done well enough thus far. Your hiring manager's manager is about as high as it gets in a larger corporation (the CEO isn't going to interview you). Without knowing more specifics behind "I would say this...." it would be impossible for us to guess at what that meant. Interviewers understand that the people they're talking to can be nervous/forgetful/etc. and if it is not a job where you're going to be up in front of people speaking, I wouldn't get overly worried.

The 45/25 is mildly concerning simply because it sounds like you didn't take that extra time to ask this person questions. If I have time I always squeeze in as many questions as I can to sound as interested as possible, and to get them talking about themselves (Psychology 101...people and especially higher ups....LOVE to talk about themselves).
Hi - I actually asked four questions.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:53 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
Hi - I actually asked four questions.
Hmmmm, okay. Well, generally it's a bad sign when they cut interviews short but you just never know. He/she could have had a meeting to get to, could have kids to pick up, or hey.....they could be like me and be a great judge of character after meeting someone just for a few minutes.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:00 PM

601 posts, read 459,331 times
It's often impossible to predict. I've had an interview where the hiring manager seemed slightly dismissive at the end of the interview, but I ended up getting the job. And other times I've knocked it out of the park in the interview but didn't get an offer. It's hard not to obsess about the minutiae of the situation, but it's best to try to put it out of your mind after any interview.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:13 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,715,111 times
I wouldn't worry about it. You did the best that you could. Keep interviewing and moving forward. Assume that you won't get the job and be pleasantly surprised if you get an offer.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Still overthinking every nuance of the process? You're going to drive yourself crazy OP. No one can always predict how long a conversation will last. Better to schedule more time and not need it than not schedule enough.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:46 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post

Do you think I still have a shot? Also - the meeting was scheduled for 45 mins, and it only lasted like 25.
Until you have a firm offer,, keep applying.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:56 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Impossible to say, but you did what you needed to do: went to follow-up (taking off from work), being there to answer additional questions, etc. Just because the time allowed was longer, didn't mean it was necessary. They probably just wanted to make sure there was enough margin.

Just keep optimistic, see how things go, and continue on (just in case you don't get the position). Good attitude counts. Forge on, no matter what the end results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment