Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 12:46 PM

288 posts, read 202,744 times

Advertisements

I am in the UK and have been invited to a job interview. The school where the interview is has said ‘if you could kindly do a lateral flow test the night before your interview that will much be appreciated.’ I don’t want to do a covid test and feel pressured to do this. If I don’t do it they may see it as being obstructive and not offer me the job. It has caused me bad anxiety. These tests are not mandatory and I know some people who work in schools don’t have tests. Should I cancel the interview? I’m really not happy they are dictating what I should do with my body and I don’t even work for them. I have also thought maybe I should work in a safer industry for now where I can work from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 01:26 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,004,309 times
They're not "dictating what you should do with your body." They're asking you to take a medical test for their safety. If you don't like it, you have the choice not to interview. (You refusing to prove that you are safe to meet with them and choosing to take the risk of bringing them a virus that's causing a pandemic that has lasted for more than a year and killed millions worldwide is sort of dictating what they should do with their bodies, eh?)

What other employers do or whether it is "mandatory" really has no bearing on anything. This employer is choosing to ask you to take a test. You have already noted that you do not have to comply. But like any other behavior you exhibit at the interview, yes, they may make judgments about you based on it, for better or worse.

I hate to say it, but part of being employed is an employer dictating what you do, sometimes with your body. In addition to owning your time and actions for 8+ hours a day, they may ask you to meet certain physical fitness standards in order to do the job, take a drug test, wear certain clothing or even a uniform, wear safety gear (hard hats, gloves, earplugs, etc.), do work that might be physical demanding or even dangerous, work in an office without windows, use the furniture they choose to purchase, remove piercing jewelry or cover up tattoos, wear your hair in a certain way, etc.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:38 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,981,518 times
Wow. Tempest in a teapot. What on earth is so threatening about a Covid swab test prior to an interview? They're taking precautions to protect themselves and their students from risk. A stranger they don't know from Adam. Not unreasonable right now. You, an unknown person, are refusing to provide a piece of transitory information. It basically tells them you don't care about what they care about. They probably have a dozen other applicants who are not bothered by such a request and will go that extra mile for a chance to get the job. You are telling them you are uncooperative and high maintenance. If by some miracle they hired you anyway what will you do if they require you to get a thorough physical prior to employment, vaccinations for Covid or any other diseases? To accept untested unvaccinated students or students with other health conditions in your classes? Will you refuse those requests too? Do you really think they want to waste their energy and time on an employee like that?

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-03-2021 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-03-2021, 05:43 PM

13,030 posts, read 9,573,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
I am in the UK and have been invited to a job interview. The school where the interview is has said ‘if you could kindly do a lateral flow test the night before your interview that will much be appreciated.’ I don’t want to do a covid test and feel pressured to do this. If I don’t do it they may see it as being obstructive and not offer me the job. It has caused me bad anxiety. These tests are not mandatory and I know some people who work in schools don’t have tests. Should I cancel the interview? I’m really not happy they are dictating what I should do with my body and I don’t even work for them. I have also thought maybe I should work in a safer industry for now where I can work from home.
The place you're interviewing doesn't owe you a job. If you want the job, comply with their requirements.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:06 PM

I know people who works in schools who don’t do the test. The students don’t test so I would be at risk working with the students. I will cancel the interview as I have been told someone else has already been given the job so I would be wasting my time.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:09 PM

4,995 posts, read 2,728,088 times
Quote:
I know people who works in schools who don’t do the test. The students don’t test so I would be at risk working with the students. I will cancel the interview as I have been told someone else has already been given the job so I would be wasting my time.
If this happens at a future interview then decline the interview if you are uncomfortable with the conditions. The interview process works both ways. If the prospective employer does something you feel is unfair or shifty then just cancel on them and move along.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
If this happens at a future interview then decline the interview if you are uncomfortable with the conditions. The interview process works both ways. If the prospective employer does something you feel is unfair or shifty then just cancel on them and move along.
Thank you. I have been needing to see a response like this. I also see lots of people refusing to wear masks too which is frustrating. I will cancel, they should have stated testing in the advert or done online interviews.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:56 PM

10,054 posts, read 18,107,880 times
Quote:
Thank you. I have been needing to see a response like this. I also see lots of people refusing to wear masks too which is frustrating. I will cancel, they should have stated testing in the advert or done online interviews.

But you still never said WHY you have a problem with a simple test?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But you still never said WHY you have a problem with a simple test?
I have extreme health anxiety and am allergic to what is in the tests.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:00 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,802,069 times
Quote:
If they're paying for it, I'd not mind. If the demand I get a shot, that's way different.

If you're allergic to the tests SAY SO. They may try to find an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment