Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 07:39 AM

61,669 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I know Bobsell will pop in here and say "sales and Mcjobs are the only jobs you can get without experience", but that can't be true. Are there just really no true entry-level jobs any more that don't suck? I would like to make more than the 34k that I currently make but I feel like no one will hire me, and I don't want to stay in the field of warehouse work. Also, most internships don't pay enough to survive on so I don't see how an adult can take one.
You might have to start at the bottom, get paid less, do your absolutely best to show your talents and potentials to get promoted. At your age you should have already some skills or gather some experience.
Why don't you go back to school or take courses online to be qualified for better jobs that McD, or warehouse?

I think you said you have degree in marketing.
You might want to read this:
https://amp.reddit.com/r/marketing/c...the_marketing/
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140...-no-experience
https://www.roberthalf.com/blog/sala...marketing-jobs

There is demand and pay is great too. You just need to get started.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/m...g-managers.htm

Last edited by elnina; 05-03-2021 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,722 times
I think it's a combination of who you know and how good your people skills are. My friend told me that his nephew has super people skills and got into a great job with little experience making 50% more money than his uncle, just from being able to talk his way through the interview.

Meanwhile, at my previous job, they hired a 25-year-old to take a huge supervisory role overseeing two departments including several people his parents' age. All this because he used to work with one of the senior managers at a different company.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:50 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times
You have to know someone - make connections. I couldn't get a job in my collage major for 15 years. I was running a cafe and some of my best customers were chemists from a lab. When the cafe got closed I had some chemistry connections and got a chemist job.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I think it's a combination of who you know and how good your people skills are. My friend told me that his nephew has super people skills and got into a great job with little experience making 50% more money than his uncle, just from being able to talk his way through the interview.

Meanwhile, at my previous job, they hired a 25-year-old to take a huge supervisory role overseeing two departments including several people his parents' age. All this because he used to work with one of the senior managers at a different company.
Absolutely. It's all about your network and how well you are able to sell yourself.
Even for an entry level position you should do extensive homework to impress: know about the company visions and goals and ways to present yourself as dedicated, hard working fast learning individual who wants to contribute 110% to the company success.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:13 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My mom is French, speaks French, Italian and Spanish and we had a Spanish speaking nanny. My dad is from Spain and fluent in English, Spanish, ( Latin and Castilian) French and Italian. The language we ( my twin brother and I) spoke was dependent on who we were speaking to at the time. We’d have to answer questions in the language they were asked. My partner speaks French, Italian and English. I started speaking French, English and Spanish to “our” twin boys from conception. It wasn’t like learning 4 different languages, but rather one giant language. Lol I will teach our kids to speak foreign languages in the same way I learned. It was more like just learning to talk rather than learning a different languages. 19 years of immersion learning. ( at that point).
I didn’t even mention the language that my twin brother and I made up to confound the nanny and most people. Words, facial expressions, hand signals… lol
Nice!

I can see why the Airline was eager to hire you. It's rare to find someone who can speak so many different languages.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Nice!

I can see why the Airline was eager to hire you. It's rare to find someone who can speak so many different languages.
In the US, yes. Otherwise - no. I speak 5 languages - certified in 4. Most people I know speak at least 2 or 3.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:48 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In the US, yes. Otherwise - no. I speak 5 languages - certified in 4. Most people I know speak at least 2 or 3.
Even globally, only 3% of the population speaks 4 languages. And people like you who speak 5 or more languages only make up 1% of the world's population.

I respect your humbleness, but I still think having a skill that 97% to 99% of the world doesn't is something special.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

I think some places now are relying more on various skills tests though. My job never used to require one, but the group hired after me had to complete one. I know the place where my sister worked was also like that. They had more “fit” related questions, but after having negative press about lack of diversity and how the interview process tended to weed out minorities and women, they switched it to more of a skills-based testing. FWIW, my sister applied and interviewed for her job both before and after the switch and said that the first one was just awful and based more on knowing the jargon/specific terms in the field than actually doing the job itself.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:11 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Yea, languages are a great way to give you a leg up for a job. Or ... even get you the job.

Of course ... it's got to be the right language.

Spanish and Chinese are the big ones from the job postings I've seen.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:18 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
How'd I get my first job without experience? By having a Bachelor's in Architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment