Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 09:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Wait to hear from your recruiter. You're anxious, and that's understandable, but it's been one day since you emailed. It's the weekend, and you're not the only client/interviewee.
This is exactly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 12:09 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Tiny bit ot, but to we ever “contact” any more? Or do we always “reach out”?
"Reach out" is now mandatory. Get with the times.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:06 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
"Reach out" is now mandatory. Get with the times.
Right?

Old 02-14-2021, 09:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexi[B
ca2;60391206]Yeah, I understand I need to be more patient. It's just been really tough for me this past year. I've been job hunting for almost a year and a half, put out close to 1000 applications, interviewed dozens of times,[/b] and haven't landed anything. It's been so exhausting and demoralizing, and I really don't want to interview anymore. This is the closest I've been to landing anything and I'm just really feeling really anxious.
When someone has in 1 1/2 years, sent out nearly 1,000 applications, and had dozen of interviews, it says to me, you are the problem. You are applying for jobs you would like to have, but the hiring end of the picture, is not impressed with your resume as being qualified, and if you get an interview but no job offers it says you do not impress the hiring team. You are applying for your dream jobs, but do not have what it takes to get you the job.

A good high quality job will have as many as 300 to 500 applicants. Unless you have the knowledge and experience, at least one will be far more qualified than you are, and they will get the job.

You may want to lower your sights a little, to get your foot in the door for the first job, and work your way up from there.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:05 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When someone has in 1 1/2 years, sent out nearly 1,000 applications, and had dozen of interviews, it says to me, you are the problem. You are applying for jobs you would like to have, but the hiring end of the picture, is not impressed with your resume as being qualified, and if you get an interview but no job offers it says you do not impress the hiring team. You are applying for your dream jobs, but do not have what it takes to get you the job.

A good high quality job will have as many as 300 to 500 applicants. Unless you have the knowledge and experience, at least one will be far more qualified than you are, and they will get the job.

You may want to lower your sights a little, to get your foot in the door for the first job, and work your way up from there.
People who have this problem weren't applying for so-called Dream jobs. If it was literally 1,000 applications that is far too much, and there would be no time to do your homework on the company, and customize your resume and application for the specific job. Plus study new skills that are in demand. Just blasting out 1,000 applications when they weren't properly targeted as I described is a waste of time. Let us not forget about the importance of expanding our network too.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:58 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Tiny bit ot, but to we ever “contact” any more? Or do we always “reach out”?
LOL. That drives me nuts. I think if you have a job that requires a lot of PC, then you "reach out". I just contact folks, myself.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:53 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexica2 View Post
It's hard for me to believe that I'm still getting the job if it's been this long after the reference checks. Is it safe to assume that I'm not getting hired?
You should always assume you are not getting the job until you have a signed offer in hand. And even then, things can still go sideways.

There is no point in getting invested in the idea of getting a particular job. Things go wonky all the time. Maybe they lose funding, or managers switch places, or a VP changes strategy, or they've opened up the job as a formality but already know who they're hiring. Millions of people are convinced they're "perfect" for a given job, but the employer disagrees and hires someone else.

Until you actually have a job, act as if you do not, because you don't.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 5,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
You should always assume you are not getting the job until you have a signed offer in hand. And even then, things can still go sideways.

There is no point in getting invested in the idea of getting a particular job. Things go wonky all the time. Maybe they lose funding, or managers switch places, or a VP changes strategy, or they've opened up the job as a formality but already know who they're hiring. Millions of people are convinced they're "perfect" for a given job, but the employer disagrees and hires someone else.

Yeah, I've already moved on mentally and I've assumed not getting hired. I've started applying for other jobs.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:45 PM

155 posts, read 165,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post

When I was in the OP's place (Master's student jobhunting) I went through 5 rounds of interviewing and had been waiting for an offer I had been told would be forthcoming, when the company had been suddenly acquired by a major defense contractor and I got a call that they would no longer consider non-US citizens for employment.
When an offer had been made to me at my last job, I had been advised that (1) The offer can be rescinded if something comes up in my background check that I did not already disclose and that I should not leave my current employment until HR confirms that they green-lighted my application and that (2) I should not assume I have the job until I had actually started. Notably the orientation on my first day was the first time I had been given a copy of the job offer, even though I had signed that I accepted the offer at the interview.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:30 AM

808 posts, read 542,589 times
I remember early in my work career a recruiter told me, "No one ever got rejected because they were too eager for the job. Call".
I took her advice, and called every day to find out the status of the hiring process.

I got the job. Not only was I not the most qualified, I really wasn't qualified very much at all, and didn't last even a year. But they hired me because they were so impressed with my eagerness to work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment