Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 04:34 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,846 times

Advertisements

I don't like the idea of them assigning you work which you aren't trained fo that you deem is critical work which could result in the serious injury or death of someone if it isn't done perfectly. If you want to do this other type of work there, I would ask about training and what they do to insure the quality of what you do before it is delivered to the end-user. If they give you indirect answers about this, or just tell you to "be careful" or "do it right", I would update the resume and look for another job.

As for the junk in their garage, if you feel that is in violation of safety or EPA, I'd report it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 05:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 5,250,459 times
If it is illegal or unethical or you have not been properly trained for a position, then I say you can decline to perform it.
Of course, most job descriptions has that one line: "and other duties as assigned." That's where they get you....but IMO that assumes you have been trained, or will be trained, for the other duties.
I would have a serious conversation with your supervisor about it and if you can't resolve it at that level, then go to HR.

Have you actually been directed to do the tasks yet???

Old 02-13-2021, 06:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,691,235 times
OP, you have come on here numerous times complaining that you apply to jobs and don’t get interviewed/considered. Most people who do get considered for positions agree to take on extra tasks. That’s just the way it is. It gives them the ability to show that they can learn how to do new things.

If you don’t want to program radio equipment because you don’t have the training to do it safely, that is one thing. On the other hand, I agree with tnff that asset disposal is often a duty of an administrative assistant. I could also be a beneficial skill you could use to market yourself for other positions. You could say that you helped properly dispose of a lot of equipment that had built up over years. That could be a highlight on your resume.

Work is called “work” and not “play” for a reason. Most people aren’t passionate about their jobs. Most people with integrity will attempt to do their jobs well if they don’t want to stay in that position for life or get fired.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:27 AM

10,106 posts, read 6,452,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I have done this in the past in a different dept. and they just got frustrated and stopped asking. I guess I will have to get a better fill of the culture.
Perhaps that's why your experience in a different department was "not good' and you received a "talking to"? If this becomes a pattern due to your refusal to do certain tasks or your doing them poorly or incompetently, you will likely end up without a job at this company.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:21 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,903,418 times
Employees at my workplace can decline to do a job under a few different circumstances:

1. Unsafe or is likely to create an unsafe situation.

2. Unqualified to do job or have not been trained on the job. In this case, the employee needs to let the supervisor know they don't feel comfortable doing the job. The supervisor is obligated to provide training/re-training or have the employee trained/re-trained by an employee who is qualified to do the job.

3. Ethically questionable or outright unethical. This is more common with white collar workers. Being asked to "fudge" numbers or alter data would be an example of this. The employee is expected to call the ethics hotline or report it to HR immediately for investigation.

Employees are not allowed to refuse a reasonable request or to refuse training in a new role from a competent trainer.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:14 AM

6,470 posts, read 3,995,339 times
As an admin person? Unfortunately, there's very little you can refuse to do.

In the first case, yes, I think you have grounds to refuse. Just tell them what you told us: this is technical equipment used in life-or-death situations, you do not have technical training, and you are not qualified to work on this equipment. (They might tell you to do it anyway, though you can try to point out that just because the last person did, doesn't mean you should; they may have been more mechanically-inclined, for example.)

In the second case... if they hand it to you, you'll just have to cringe and bear it. Much of the life of an administrative person is doing the jobs other people don't/didn't want to do, and fixing the messes other people make. People will treat you as their trash can, taking any task they don't want to do or find "too boring," and throwing it at you. That's the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If it's not in your job description, then bring that up to HR.

If you're tasked with anything you aren't qualified/trained to do, the liability would be on you AND them.

Do you have a written job description?
Job description for administrative positions usually has something to do with "assisting" other employees, and usually has a clause about "other duties as assigned." Which means whatever they decide to throw at you, you do, unless it's grossly outside your job duties (like your boss telling you to pick up their dry cleaning or come over and babysit their kid).

And, I doubt much liability would fall on the company. If something happened, OP would simply be quietly let go; if there was any kind of public outrage, the company would publicly say "we've sacked the employee who screwed this up" and the beauty of it is... an admin person is a cheaper sacrificial lamb than a technician who is probably paid more and harder to replace.

Quote:
It would require quite a bit of work. It involves programming radios. This is a very niche field, unlike other technology skills. I could probably take on the task, but there is no reason for me to do it. I won't get a raise, I won't get a promotion, it would be for nothing.
Yup. That's how admin work is. Wait until they're understaffed and want you to take on the work of two admin people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In the case of them asking you to do things for which others are certified or trained, I'd ask for training.
That doesn't make much sense. Then they'd have another technician, not an administrative assistant.

Also, it's doubtful the company trains the other technicians. They are likely expected to come to the job interview already having the required education/training/certifications. Even if OP did decide they want to move up in this field and become a technician, they would likely have to complete the education/training on their own time/dime and then apply for the position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Taking on additional duties is nearly always a benefit to the employee. You may not see it because you're looking for an immediate return in your paycheck. Where it makes a difference is when management starts looking for someone to send to a special program, or gets some extra recognition, or moved onto the promotion track. Someone who is a go getter and steps out gets the reward.
That doesn't often happen for people in admin positions. Usually what it means is that the bosses know who they can go to when they need to load even more work on someone. It's rare that administrative assistants receive training, there aren't usually "special programs" for admin people because it's not a high-level job that a company is going to waste money on, and OP has already said there is no promotion past this position-- the only way forward is to become a technician, which is a different job track, not a continuation of/promotion on this one.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
As far as training and certification goes, the devil is in the details. There's a difference between a airline baggage loader declining to replace a broken instrument on a plane because they aren't trained as an aviation mechanic, versus an office worker refusing to clear a paper jam because they aren't trained as a copier repair tech.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
That doesn't make much sense. Then they'd have another technician, not an administrative assistant.

But could that other technician also fulfill the duties of the administrative assistant?

Old 02-14-2021, 12:15 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
[quote=K12144;60400548}...
That doesn't often happen for people in admin positions. Usually what it means is that the bosses know who they can go to when they need to load even more work on someone. It's rare that administrative assistants receive training, there aren't usually "special programs" for admin people because it's not a high-level job that a company is going to waste money on, and OP has already said there is no promotion past this position-- the only way forward is to become a technician, which is a different job track, not a continuation of/promotion on this one.[/QUOTE]

Every admin I've know who wanted to move up has moved up. Not because there were promotions in the admin field, but because they took on tasks that gave them the skills to sidestep into a different field where there were promotions. Some even moved into management themselves. The only one who didn't either took great pride in being a professional secretary and moved up to secretaries to senior management OR who held the admin assistant job description too closely and refused to take on additional duties that would set them up for advancement.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:24 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,922,206 times
Quote:

I have no knowledge of the process and person B. should have been doing this years ago. but did not. I am fearful that I will be asked to take on this huge task that is not in my description and something I have not been trained for. What is the best way to handle this situation?

Just say "Oh, I can do that." Then go figure it out. That's how you get ahead. Accept challenges and take initiative.

Then you are in your 60s and have hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank and your house and cars are paid for, then you have the luxury of saying no to your boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment