Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 09:50 PM

72 posts, read 57,126 times

Advertisements

So I put in for a position and got a call before I saw the next status on my application, lady interviewed me on the spot and mentioned about letting the references know they may call, and they did just that the same evening. Won't read too much into it but does it mean they may be considering me for the position? Anyone have current experience with the government hiring process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 09:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
It must mean they are really desperate to hire and having a tough time finding acceptable candidates. Do you have a niche high demand skill or applying in an undesirable location?

Usually the process is painfully slow and there is huge competition. Back on my last search I put in 200+ applications and my results were about
50% black hole
20% found not qualified ( I only applied to jobs I was well qualified for relating to science)
25% not among best qualified
5% referred
and about 1 in 5 referred led to at least a call from a hiring authority.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:38 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Yeah, that's... not normal. Had the position been up for a long time? Is it COVID-related?

Old 02-10-2021, 11:21 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Post a link to the announcement, so we can see what type of job listing it is/was. It could be a direct hire position that could be expedited to that extent, but it's impossible to say with the information you've provided.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:27 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It must mean they are really desperate to hire and having a tough time finding acceptable candidates. Do you have a niche high demand skill or applying in an undesirable location?
This. Agree that without knowing whether this is a niche position with very specialized qualifications few possess, its hard to evaluate.

If its not, you'd better look carefully at the vacancy to make sure you understand what it entails including the working conditions, term of employment (actual career status, limited term, intermittent, local commuting area candidates only, etc), salary vs COL in that location, fine print about benefits or lack of them (health insurance, retirement, status in terms of advancement, etc). If it would require relocation, who pays for that? There are public sector jobs that are very difficult to keep staffed for good reason. Make sure you investigate what those reasons might be.

Definitely check when the vacancy was actually posted. There are long standing "vacancies" that are really just a vehicle for an agency to maintain a register of qualified applicants to pick from when future positions do open up...those jobs don't actually exist at the moment. If/when they do open up they may not be located in an area you'd want to live/work.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:14 PM

72 posts, read 57,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Usually the process is painfully slow and there is huge competition. Back on my last search I put in 200+ applications and my results were about
50% black hole
20% found not qualified ( I only applied to jobs I was well qualified for relating to science)
25% not among best qualified
5% referred
and about 1 in 5 referred led to at least a call from a hiring authority.

It was for a motor vehicle operator and I have a CDL license with a passenger endorsement

Old 02-10-2021, 05:18 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Yeah, that is very unusual.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:11 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
We have direct hire and can move fairly fast. Where the process slows down is when it gets to HR. I have interviewed people and made informal offer the same day.

A big problem we have and why we can do that is government pay simply can't compete for the types of jobs we're hiring for. We can offer a GS7 for a recent graduate vs industry which is offering $15K-$20K more. For experienced staff, our jobs top out at GS13 with private sector offering $30K more for equivalent positions. Even worse in areas like Silicon Valley where the gov tries to hire software experts for GS12/13 pay and any talented person just laughs at it.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:47 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt15 View Post
So I put in for a position and got a call before I saw the next status on my application, lady interviewed me on the spot and mentioned about letting the references know they may call, and they did just that the same evening. Won't read too much into it but does it mean they may be considering me for the position? Anyone have current experience with the government hiring process?
I've held a few government positions and NO ONE has ever called me to interview me on the phone. Generally, the process for these positions can take MONTHS. What agency was this with? Maybe they do have serious staffing issues but this sounds very unusual.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:48 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt15 View Post
It was for a motor vehicle operator and I have a CDL license with a passenger endorsement
No background check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment