Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 05:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,436,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
Yes! Having inherited staff is awful. Not really sure why!
Because "like" tends to hire "like"...typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 06:38 PM

22,072 posts, read 13,099,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
I recently moved into a people managing position and am finding that I really hate it. Everyone has been there a long time, feel entitled, lots of whining about everything. And it's somehow always on me to fix things, not on them to change (this is the company philosophy - that the manager needs to meet the needs of their direct reports). Anyone BTDT?
Is this the Peter Principle in action? Maybe you shouldn't have accepted that promotion!

It sounds a little like the tail is wagging the dog if your employees are whining to you and calling the shots. I tried that with a new supervisor, and he very quickly shot me down and put me in my place. I wasn't a happy camper at the time, but (in retrospect) I see that it was exactly the right move and that he's actually great at his job. I do now respect him.

I NEVER wanted to be in a supervisory role and would absolutely hate it (and probably be horrible at it).

No advice, but good luck!

Last edited by otterhere; 02-11-2021 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 05:35 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,725,381 times
I've found it depends on:

1) the employees themselves
2) the org, and how much blame and directive they put on the managers.

At my last job, I inherited 6 "R.I.P.'s", aka Retired in Place. They had all been there for 30 years, doing a decent job out of tribal knowledge but complacent and close-minded. They made a ton of money for what they did. My boss didn't want to deal with them, so she hired me, a self proclaimed "servant leader" in the interview, to "fire half of them." It's hard to express how stressful it was to have pressure to fire people you haven't even had time to evaluate yourself yet.

At another company, I personally hired the 2 employees, who were young and super ambitious. We were a fun team that grabbed lunch and coffee together. There was no boss or HR pressure to make them something they weren't. It was kind of fun.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:40 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,725,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Several times. I've changed jobs and even taken steps downward but always end up getting promoted back into a management role. I don't like it but I'm good at it. Because I don't have any personal desire for power and don't use the position for self aggrandizement. I'd much rather be known for my technical skills than for my management position.
This is so true. I used to always say that I never wanted to get to a director + level as I have too many W/L boundaries that it would like impede upon them too much.

I kept getting offered promotions, and recently became a Sr. Director. But the stress is killing me. I often wonder if I wouldn't benefit from taking a step or two downwards.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:03 AM

9,504 posts, read 5,291,959 times
These experiences were working for the contractor for a federal agency as a shift supervisor (later, I worked for the actual agency, but never as a supervisor or manager). I was new and came in as a supervisor.

1) It was a beautiful summer day and I took the staff outside for a staff meeting. That got looks and stares from OTHER sups/managers. It was talked about like I'd done something wrong.
2) At Christmas time we were encouraged to participate in helping a needy family - a yearly event. I made it abundantly clear that this was strictly voluntary. Also, the contract employees did not/do not make as much $$ as regular employees and I was aware that 'donating' might not be in the budget, so I never pressed anything. My group ultimately wound up with the most stuff to donate. It was pretty amazing what we put together. I was so proud of us!! Afterward, I was called in by HR and told that someone complained that they felt like they were forced to participate in the 'giving,' notwithstanding the fact that I'd made it clear it was voluntary.
3) and finally, and this is when I quit - I had to direct a clerk to do something....so I went over and quietly made my request. She balked and started complaining. Another clerk (male) got up in my grill about the direction I gave the clerk and actually poked his finger in my chest! HR did nothing to support me.
The clerks were allowed to get away with most misbehavior. And the clerks wanted to unionize, which I always thought was a factor.

It wasn't worth the extra money, and I could not 'supervisor' in a way I thought was good leadership, proper, etc. When I came to be a regular employee of that agency, I never wanted to be a supervisor (worked to death and had no life - but many would do it for a year and then give it up, but keep that higher salary).

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. LOL

Old 02-12-2021, 11:12 AM

15,820 posts, read 20,610,474 times
I'm an engineering manager with a very young staff. (relative to me as i'm 39) I like the people, and I like helping them grow in their careers.

I dislike not being as involved in the ground-level technical stuff as much as I used to be. Now, when I get a project, I assign an engineer and oversee It from a higher level. I don't get to do the "fun" design work, visit vendors and work with new technology, or do some critical thinking. I'm caught up too much in managerial type work, which to be honest, sucks.

I like the money though, but I think I might want explore a new position elsewhere in a more senior engineering role without the managerial duties.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,163,206 times
I used to be one. Switched careers and moved into an individual contributor role. I much prefer solving problems with process and technology than with other peoples' performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment