Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 12:11 PM

415 posts, read 371,442 times

Advertisements

I know most of these companies don't even respond when you inquire, but when you get a rejection email do you follow up and ask what made them not move forward, or just move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 12:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
I know most of these companies don't even respond when you inquire, but when you get a rejection email do you follow up and ask what made them not move forward, or just move on?
Better yet, do the unexpected. Make an impression. Don't send a whiny email/letter asking why you didn't get hired. They won't answer that anyway (and the answer is obvious--they found somebody better). If you have the contact info/email address (snailmail address is better--actual written letters will make more of an impression) for the person who interviewed you, or the HR manager, write them an APOLOGY email/letter. YOU apologize to THEM, for not meeting their expectations. Tell them if you ever get a chance to interview again, you'll make it right.

You think they'll remember you then?

--

Old 02-04-2021, 01:45 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
Just move on. The majority of the time, you didn't do anything "wrong" per se. You were simply beaten out by another candidate.

If you're looking to better you presentation - practice interviewing or have others look at your resume.

That said - at the end of the day, how you perform is relative to other candidates and how the person on the other side of the table sees you. You can go to two interviews and do the exact same thing - one will like you and the other may have lost interest 5 min in.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:25 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Quote:
It may make an impression on them, but with the number of applicants they get, I doubt it.

I honestly don't see the point... it's like ending a phone call, one of you says goodbye, the other as well, and that should be that. Don't keep on going back and forth unless there's some business that needs to be resolved.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Nope

Old 02-04-2021, 03:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
I don't bother if the interview didn't go very well but if the interview went great and the rejection email is a bit of surprise I have asked for feedback. Almost never do I get it but there was one interview where we had seemed to mesh well and it felt almost like talking to a friend, then got a "pursue another candidate" email. I replied "Was it something I said? Lol. Anyways, I don't expect it but would appreciate it if you have any feedback for me." A few hours later got a response "Ha ha, not at all. You're a great candidate. It just boiled down to someone with a little more front end and less back end experience."

Old 02-04-2021, 06:12 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Neither HR or Legal wants the hiring manager to open that can of worms.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:22 PM

415 posts, read 371,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Neither HR or Legal wants the hiring manager to open that can of worms.
I get what you are saying if it was something like "you were dressed scruffy," or something, but when you get a generic rejection after weeks of time it just feels very disappointing.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
No. But I certainly don't burn bridges either. It's not often I'm notified by a call, usually just a "Not Selected" email. But if they call I'm always grateful for the opportunity to compete and am confident they hired a good fit for the organization.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
I've only ever asked once. It was an internal job in a different department and location from where I was working. The interview had gone great, I met all of the qualifications and then some...

He actually gave me what felt like an honest, if brutal response. I had to read between the lines, but basically I was too old compared to the rest of the team (the dreaded "fit"), and was too overqualified. I was looking for an easy, low stress gig, but oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment