Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 PM

560 posts, read 1,551,866 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I have a question to all of you regarding jobs.

1st Scenario - you have a job with GREAT benefits, pay is ok but the work environment (i.e your co-workers, boss, etc) is horrible

2nd Scenario - you have a job with no (or very little) benefits, pay is ok and the work environment is pleasant.

Assuming both of the above jobs pay the same, which would you choose? Am I crazy to think work environment is supremely important? Are there actually people who would work any job just because of the benefit and pay? I appreciate your inputs. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 AM

217 posts, read 555,282 times
If they pay was much better with scenario 1, I would suck it up and take it (depending on what field).

Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 AM

217 posts, read 555,282 times
It also depends on how much you need the benefits. If you don't care go with scenario 2. Just think how much insurance costs these days, if you get sick, it's coming out of your pocket.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,217,302 times
Your happiness or lack of same can really affect your mental and physical health.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,139,191 times
You suck it up at the higher paying position for a while. During that time save as much money as you can by forgoing vacations and luxury purchases (big TV's, new car, etc). Then after a couple years, quit and go work at a lower rate in a great environment.

I know of two people that have done just that in the past year and a half. A better environment was the "light at the end of the tunnel" that got them through the day at the crappier, better paying job. When the more lucrative position became unbearable, each resigned.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 AM

78 posts, read 199,379 times
I have been in management for 15yrs. In that time I have seen a million miserable people who hate their job. Actually, they hate there life and take it out on those at there job. Either way, I believe in a simple rule that I borrowed from "life is good"; "Do what you like.Like what you do." This includes environment, commute, job satisfaction, everything.

I am also guilty of changing jobs when it is no longer fulfilling. This has led to the development of my career in change management. I love facilities that are not functioning well. Instead of seeking a leadership role within the organization, I now do consultations. Once the challenge is gone I move onto the next project. One last bit of advice, money is not everything. To think that money will make you happy is a mistake that many people make. Sure it helps pay the bills and provide some fun things in life, but if you are miserable you will never enjoy the fun stuff. To equate money to happiness is basically saying that only the rich are happy and we all know that isn't true. IMO take the job that provides the best environment(total) for you. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:39 AM

4,299 posts, read 5,975,330 times
Default Employer provided benefits are not magic....

You can often enroll in these same insurance programs yourself for less than the contribution towards the premium your employer charges you! Plus, your employer can change, decrease, eliminate, etc. the benefit plan or underwriter at any time.

The work is the most important thing. It has to be something you truly enjoy, in an environment that you can tolerate for nearly 1/2 of your waking hours. Pay needs to be sufficient to allow you to do the things that are important to you during the other 60% of your waking hours (home, family, recreation, future planning).

Too many people chase benefits as if they were the Holy Grail, while an increasing number of companies are using the worker's contribution towards premiums as a corporate income stream.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,659,202 times
I would say that there are a lot of factors to consider here besides just the two things that you mentioned.

For the job with benefits, what kind of benefits are we talking?

For the job without benefits, would you be able to provide the same benefits for yourself?

I have seen too many close friends and family have major problems because of not having health insurance, including my own sister who was just out of college at the time. To me, health insurance is a requirement, not an option. Whether your company is paying or you are. Everyone should have some form of health insurance, regardless of age, but I think many people in their 20's and even early 30's think they are invincible and forego it.

I have also seen friends in great jobs with great pay that they love, but their employer doesn't offer good vacation and sick leave options. When you are only allowed 3 sick days a year and you get pneumonia, what then? All the money in the world is really not worth much if you can't spend it on a nice vacation every once in a while!

My sister is currently sticking it out in a job with a whacked out environment, including a micro-managing/backstabbing supervisor, intra-office adultery, and not so kosher management practices. The pay isn't even that great, but the experience she is getting, and the benefits, are worth it to her to stay for her two years (she is halfway through). But she is always looking out for, and sometimes applying for, something that looks better.

Just remember, no one job is forever. A career consists of many different jobs, and they will each provide you with a different perspective and experience to carry on to the next. Personally, I think that learning the skill of dealing with annoying or difficult people is something that can be used throughout your career.

In the end, it's really a matter of what you will be more comfortable with. Either way, it's always good to have one finger on the pulse of available jobs in your field, so that if something really good comes up, you can go for it.

Last edited by miamiblue; 05-06-2008 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 AM

183 posts, read 672,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratelife View Post
I have been in management for 15yrs. In that time I have seen a million miserable people who hate their job. Actually, they hate there life and take it out on those at there job. Either way, I believe in a simple rule that I borrowed from "life is good"; "Do what you like.Like what you do." This includes environment, commute, job satisfaction, everything.

I am also guilty of changing jobs when it is no longer fulfilling. This has led to the development of my career in change management. I love facilities that are not functioning well. Instead of seeking a leadership role within the organization, I now do consultations. Once the challenge is gone I move onto the next project. One last bit of advice, money is not everything. To think that money will make you happy is a mistake that many people make. Sure it helps pay the bills and provide some fun things in life, but if you are miserable you will never enjoy the fun stuff. To equate money to happiness is basically saying that only the rich are happy and we all know that isn't true. IMO take the job that provides the best environment(total) for you. Good luck.

Couldn't agree more on money not buying happiness. A year ago I had a six figure job with incredible benefits, and I was completely miserable. Having all that extra money did nothing for me when I was so unhappy. It began to affect my home life, my health, I was spending less time with my daughter and my wife and I were in counseling with our marriage on the verge of falling apart. I ended up taking another job where I make barely over half as much with benefits that are still good but not great; the difference though is that I'm happy and enjoy what I do, and my wife and I couldn't be better. Sure, the bills are a little tighter, but frankly, I wouldn't go back to that other job if the pay was twice as much as it was before.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,941,524 times
NC_Native - you are my alter-ego. I left a job I relocated to Charlotte for, returned the relo money to the company and left after 6 months of misery! No one was happy at that place. I took a significant pay-cut, travel a longer distance, but I never feel like a sack of potatoes going to work in the morning. My boss is a great guy and the people are professional and don't stab you in the back. I get to work from home as I need to. The people are simple, friendly, laid back and very involved in community service. We thought that we would have to do so much belt-tightening, but found out we really did not need to. More important is the evident contentment and happiness I feel, the lack of tension at home and a much happier work and home life. Even if I continue to get job alerts, I just delete them even without reading. I hate to take the chance for higher pay and get myself into yet another bad environment. Money just does not buy happiness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment