Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:53 PM

618 posts, read 939,013 times

Advertisements

I started a new job and the system owner, the CFO has not granted access. Because of security, there has to be system authorization for select users. So unfortunately I am only able to do maybe 60% of my job. IT and my direct bosses have asked him via email and instant messenger. Apparently there has been no response from him. I dont get it. Why won't he approve. How hard can it be? Should I contact him directly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 09:53 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I wouldn’t. Jumping the chain of command is often frowned on. But document that you have told your immediate supervisor and CONTINUE to do so. Make sure he/she knows how it is limiting your performance.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Sounds like a pretty standard start for any large company, honestly.

And definitely don't jump ahead of the chain of command. The person approving it most likely has 90 other things going on, and for better or worse, you're just not a priority.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I started a new job and the system owner, the CFO has not granted access. Because of security, there has to be system authorization for select users. So unfortunately I am only able to do maybe 60% of my job. IT and my direct bosses have asked him via email and instant messenger. Apparently there has been no response from him. I dont get it. Why won't he approve. How hard can it be? Should I contact him directly?
Knowing zero about your role or firm, I would however state that "under no circumstances should (you, the worker) contact the fellow granting access to (whatever), unless first contacted." It won't help. It could hurt. Sometimes you can't fight City Hall. As the new gal/guy, I would not rock that boat right away.

Across the decades I've done subject matter expert work for a household name IT firm with a market cap of $1.56T. That's trillion dollars, with a T. I've been an employee there for hell if I'd know how long, it all blurs and doesn't really matter, end of the day.

One of their not-so-amusing flaws across decades is security access management. They have their reasons, I get it, but they cannot onboard people to all their resources rapidly. It may take days, or weeks. I've run up against them on various matters and they are a rock upon which such waves of angst break harmlessly. Because I don't need to know, I will never know why their processes in this matter take quite a while. It can be frustrating.

Emailing managers, expediting, calling the Pope*, nothing moves them faster that I know of. One day things may change, and yes they may have their reasons, but...patience.

Patience, young Padawan. This shall come to pass when it does.

*Okay, I never called His Holiness for help, but just about everything-but.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:33 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Par for the course.

I do access related stuff sometimes. It can be weeks before everything gets done. The team that does this is overworked and undermanned.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:47 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Don't panic.

Just do your job as best as you can. Your bosses know this is not your fault. Eventually, that big boss must authorize the access.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:01 AM

618 posts, read 939,013 times
Just mind blowing. He is costing the company $

Old 10-30-2020, 09:06 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Definitely don't jump the chain of command. Whenever you check in with your immediate supervisor, bring up that you still don't have access to resource X, which is affecting your ability to do Y.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:27 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Just mind blowing. He is costing the company $
Perspective is important. He could be working on a project where if he screws up, there's a large price tag. You not being able to do part of your job for a few weeks doesn't carry that kind of financial impact.

I approve quite a few things. It's part of my job, but not the main thing I do. As an example, one major project I was part of had a seven figure price tag if we missed a certain deadline. I absolutely was slow to respond to other things when that was going on, and I know that cost the company money. What it cost though was nowhere near as expensive as what I was working on instead.

Be patient. This isn't a big deal. Your boss knows how things work, and won't blame you.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:10 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
I remember working for a computer assembly company. As security. It took 2 months before they granted me access to the presidents main office area. In the preceding 2 months, I got ******ed out for not finding the coffee pots still left on.

I explained three times that I cant catch what I cant see or smell. Finally they did......Sheesh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment