Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 08:45 AM

155 posts, read 205,657 times

Advertisements

I don’t get how most employers put entry position but they want people with experience which makes no sense, if you have experience your not looking for an entry role position,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 AM

801 posts, read 548,862 times
They want experienced professionals who are willing to work for entry level salary

Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Entry is simply the lowest level at the organization, or in that department. It does not mean no experience required. The "entry level" position under me starts at about $50k,

and requires 2 years experience. Then there are 3 higher levels requiring additional experience (3, 4, and 6 years) going up to about $80k.

I have seen many signs advertising jobs open with no experience required but they are typically in the $15/hour range. Most recently was at an oil change place, not one I would use if they hire people with no experience.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:05 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,925,493 times
"Entry level" means a few different things. You can be entry level to a particular career path or job band, but still are expected to have professional experience in some way.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:08 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
I don’t get how most employers put entry position but they want people with experience which makes no sense, if you have experience your not looking for an entry role position,
There was a newsgroup devoted to "Entry level jobs" years (1994) ago. But the "entry level" meant anywhere from new to 1.5 years experience.......

It all depends on the employer.....

Old 10-08-2020, 09:39 AM

155 posts, read 205,657 times
I doubt anyone with experience would be willing to work at entry position because then you gonna get people who will complain because they are not making the money they think they should be. Entry should mean to get your foot in the door right or at least that’s how I see it. I can do anything I want if I put my mind to it but employers should list those job as experience required job and not put entry in the title because that is somewhat misleading and I get you don’t have to apply but when you see entry especially for like plumbers, electrician, hvac etc... you are expecting that you could join with 0 experience and you will get on the job training.

Just a quick question I had and I am not looking for a new career or anything to be honest because I like what I do and I make decent money.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:39 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,568,475 times
Because they want experience and want to PAY entry level.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
I doubt anyone with experience would be willing to work at entry position because then you gonna get people who will complain because they are not making the money they think they should be. Entry should mean to get your foot in the door right or at least that’s how I see it. I can do anything I want if I put my mind to it but employers should list those job as experience required job and not put entry in the title because that is somewhat misleading and I get you don’t have to apply but when you see entry especially for like plumbers, electrician, hvac etc... you are expecting that you could join with 0 experience and you will get on the job training.

Just a quick question I had and I am not looking for a new career or anything to be honest because I like what I do and I make decent money.
Even when no experience is required, people that do have experience will apply, and will be more likely to get hired. Where I work many of the current employees started their experience with college or graduate internships.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,134,801 times
Same goes for a college degree. My company frequently makes that a requirement. They have attempted to add that to all of my hires and I always have to go back to HR and have it removed for my open positions.

I run a Software Technical Support team for a 3D Printing company. Our software is very niche and specific to our products. Give me three months and I can train them in everything they need to know to help customers. More interestingly it has seemed in my 15 years of management, those that did not go to college had more out of the box ideas and were less "programmed" with answers.

Same goes with our entry Inside Sales positions. Those that succeeded simply had the gift of gab. Experience selling helps obviously but it is entry and a place for people to hone those skills. At $15/hr you're not going to get much many people with "experience" in Sales. Be reasonable.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:38 PM

10,357 posts, read 6,908,705 times
If you pay bananas, you're going to get monkeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment