Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 AM

29 posts, read 41,679 times

Advertisements

Let's say you work in a high paying job, but it also has high stress (fast paced, long hours). The salary you are making (and what you could further make) is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Once you leave, there is no going back. When would you feel comfortable leaving for something with a better work/life balance? Would it be according to a certain amount of money saved or net worth achieved? Some other metric? A new job would provide better work/life balance but the pay would be much less (although still good).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 12:10 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,240,908 times
What's more important to you?

Money?

Or work/life balance?

Old 10-06-2020, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What's more important to you?

Money?

Or work/life balance?
Yes, while we would all like both, that's not always possible. Can you manage your normal bills, save some money, and have some vacation/entertainment funds left on a lower salary? It seems like your current job will have prepared you well for less stressful work, but unfortunately, hiring managers might wonder why you are downgrading if you disclose your current salary.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:16 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,806,422 times
You ask that, or those questions and you'll get different answers. It's all depending upon the individual.

For example, I play the state lottery. If I hit 1 million. I'd end up with 300-400K with all taxes.... that's enough for me. At $3,500 a month, that's 7 years at that rate.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:08 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,334,854 times
How much money, and what kind of hours are you talking about?

Old 10-06-2020, 01:21 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,022,448 times
What is all that money worth if you dont have time to spend it and have fun?

Life is too short to be always working, except if you really, really love your job.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:34 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,262,234 times
It certainly depends on the person.

For what its worth, I left a good paying job to become self-employed. I've been fortunate to nail down a few clients and the money has been good thus far, however the hours can be kind of brutal. With that said, I'm much happier. I'm my own boss, I set my own hours when I don't have multiple deadlines on my shoulders, and I have more pride in what I do. Running my business has kind of become a job and hobby at the same time. I'll likely make less this year than I did at my job last year, but I'm still making a good living. And again, I'm happier. So I'm gladly making less money. I've gained so much more as a result of quitting that job. That's just me.

Further, I have a buddy who worked 5 years in a high pressure job. He made well over $110k per year (not including bonuses and stuff) and worked 80 hours a week. Literally, this was weekly. It took a toll on him, he went in one day and said screw it, he quit. He's now working a 40 hours a week M-F job and making $52,000. And you know what? He's so happy. He has more time to himself, he's joined a softball league, and now has a girlfriend, something that was impossible for 5 years.

It depends on you. The $52k I just mentioned may be living poor for your standards, or that could be 100% feasible. For my friend, he chose less money for a happier life. I think it was a good route for him to go and he agrees.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:07 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,051 times
I've heard of friend's of family do this. They put in 60 to 80 hour weeks in these "high powered" financial companies or law firm. They're paid REALLY WELL. But the really long hours means it's much better suited for those who are young and healthy, don't have any family obligations, and can put their social leaves in 2nd gear. They save their money, and move on to jobs that are "more normal".

I've met many old timers (40 to 65yo) who used to do these types of works, including in Silicon Valley. No more. They got enough money saved up, and they have no desire to go back to such work environments.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:24 PM

21,030 posts, read 27,333,492 times
When do you realize it is time to move on?
  • Your work unit has a perpetual issue with turnover. More coworkers and supervisors leave and few are hired.
  • You are doing more tasks than what you are expected to do on a consistent basis.
  • Your pay has not increased significantly. Any new hire that has onboarded has a higher pay rate than you.
  • You are not allowed to take mandatory vacation time. That time is forfeited at the end of the vacation year.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:28 PM

1,169 posts, read 754,896 times
And for $, look at your income needs, consider the interest/dividend income figure from an amount saved that will achieve that need, and maybe make that your goal for blowing that particular popcorn stand?

Mine was 80% income replacement. I put in my papers the next month after achieving the "deferred compensation" savings goal. Now I'm working again in a lower paid but much-more-satisfying job for only as long as I want to do it - and achieved about 120% income replacement as a result
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment