Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 01:43 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,738,960 times

Advertisements

A number of 40+ mid managers were recently fired at my company, a couple of whom were highly regarded. They're now trying to push me out, and I've received some legal advice suggesting I could have a case.

My question is it worth it to sue, and will this stop me from getting future jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 02:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Don't sue.

Do use the possibility of suing as a tool in your severance negotiations.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:52 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
As a group - all those affected - might make for a worthwhile suing venture. Teamwork, my friend. More can be accomplished as a group, plus you won't be singled out as the vengeful oddball.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:50 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,438 times
May be worth it to hire an Employment Law attorney. Having an attorney represent you will get the attention of the employer. Your attorney may not actually want to sue, but him/her threating it and you having an attorney hired itself could very well help you get a generous severance package should it come to that.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:13 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
You can also friend or hire a tough-guy to be seen with around work, or outside. Let them see you with someone not to be messed with. They should get scared and more apprehensive Not that that's a normal approach, but hey, they aren't exactly following the rules either.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-23-2020 at 04:59 PM..

Old 09-23-2020, 05:32 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Age discrimination cases don't do very well. It is excessively hard to prove. Just proving that they hired someone younger isn't going to do it.

It is a known discrimination that is accepted.

I agree with the first poster... pretend like you are going to sue, maybe even get a lawyer to have all conversations with the company about the severance package but corporations know you are bluffing as to anything else and they will produce some legitimate reason you were let go.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:38 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,738,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Age discrimination cases don't do very well.
Ask IBM about that now.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:43 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Age discrimination cases don't do very well. It is excessively hard to prove. Just proving that they hired someone younger isn't going to do it.

It is a known discrimination that is accepted.

I agree with the first poster... pretend like you are going to sue, maybe even get a lawyer to have all conversations with the company about the severance package but corporations know you are bluffing as to anything else and they will produce some legitimate reason you were let go.

I too agree, sadly. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act was well intentioned but unless you have a "smoking gun" it is hard to prive that an individual has had and adverse action taken against him or her because of the employee's age. You may "luck out" and there is an email out there saying "YOu asked for ideas to improve the department and what I suggest is getting rid of John Doe. He's simply gotten too old and I don't think he has what it takes to keep up with us. We need space for a young firecracker who will dare to disrupt!" Or some nonsense. But that is verh unusual and you won't even know if that's out there until you are into discovery, which is pretty deep into the case.

It sounds like you've already spoken to an attorney about the specifics of yur situation so s/he will have a better idea of your chances but in most cases it will be best used as leverage.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:07 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
I wouldnt,OP.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:11 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
A number of 40+ mid managers were recently fired at my company, a couple of whom were highly regarded. They're now trying to push me out, and I've received some legal advice suggesting I could have a case.

My question is it worth it to sue, and will this stop me from getting future jobs?
Did they got fired because of their age? Was it the stated reason? I don't think so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment