Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 11:08 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times

Advertisements

Interviewers who were mean. I remember one when I was in my 30s. Big US company. Interviewed by two drop dead gorgeous HR girls in their late 20's. Right from the start they were mean. After 5 minutes I said "s**** this" and got up and left. I did that several times thru the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 01:28 AM

513 posts, read 736,855 times
"A red flag is when none of the interviews are actually in the office building."

Yes, I second or third this. I was promoted to an organization where my boss was an alcoholic, the enlisted who worked for him knew more than he did, he arrived hungover for duty most of the time, the other clerical staff would not go near him, HIS boss cursed him in the hallway; the office had stacks of paperwork everywhere; there was no file system and all so-called files were stuffed into various file cabinets; everybody was TDY all the time. I was told the place I had worked before was not the "real" Air Force. Needless to say, morale was very low. That was the lowest point for me in over 20 years as a civilian working for the military.

Thankfully, I got out of there as soon as possible, even though I had to take a downgrade to do it.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
LOL! I always laugh at the ping-pong table and all of the like. It's there to collect dust. Yeah, it looks "cool" and hip that they are there, but like you said, if you're caught playing one of them you're screwed. If you have time to play it, the boss will think shouldn't you be using that time to work? All in all, it's just BS to try to attract people to suffer there.
I'll admit that the ping pong table is bs. If you're given 30 minutes for lunch, you're stuffing yourself. Playtime is for home. However, one graveyard job had 4 of us playing at various times, since the machines were automated.

One temp job had me stacking coin bags for the fed reserve branch in Portland. They had 1 hour lunch and pool tables (note the (s)) as there were 4 of them. Ping pong, ice cream machine and even shoe buffer.....I should have tried harder to get hired there......

Old 09-13-2020, 06:54 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Sorry...but who wears clogs to any job interview where they honestly expect to make a good impression? Hate to tell you this, but when it comes to landing a great job, your appearance speaks loud and clear about you. You can have an impeccable resume, but not get past the initial phase because of the way you present yourself. You don’t have to agree with that or even like it, but it’s the truth.
When you've had surgery on your foot the footware should be less of a "judgmental" reasoning to dismiss a well qualified person. So be it , my attire was presentable, I can't say the same for this Ladys attitude or narrow ways of conducting an interview. Steve Jobs often wore casual attire, It didn't change his intellect or furthering his business. narrow minds though think as conveyed in your post.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:14 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
When you've had surgery on your foot the footware should be less of a "judgmental" reasoning to dismiss a well qualified person. So be it , my attire was presentable, I can't say the same for this Ladys attitude or narrow ways of conducting an interview. Steve Jobs often wore casual attire, It didn't change his intellect or furthering his business. narrow minds though think as conveyed in your post.
Are you really comparing Steve Jobs to some schlep coming in for a job interview in casual clothing???

Steve didn't have to go to job interviews, he created the company from the ground up. People like him, Zuckerberg, Cuban, etc. have the luxury of dressing how they want. John Doe applying for a $50k/year job at ABC Corp do not.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:41 AM

4,959 posts, read 2,708,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Are you really comparing Steve Jobs to some schlep coming in for a job interview in casual clothing???

Steve didn't have to go to job interviews, he created the company from the ground up. People like him, Zuckerberg, Cuban, etc. have the luxury of dressing how they want. John Doe applying for a $50k/year job at ABC Corp do not.
I think the point was that wearing different kinds of clothes doesn't further a person's intellect or further their business, and companies should realize that. It doesn't matter whether it is the owner of a company or the lowest employee. Of course business owners can dress any way they want, but that doesn't make them more productive. Neither does forcing ordinary workers to dress up improve their productivity either. Companies have to realize that their policies impact how potential workers perceive them. In an era where business suits are going the way of the dinosaur, it may not make too much sense for companies to have stringent dress codes anymore.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:06 AM

35,058 posts, read 31,278,237 times
The family thing is one I hate. It's hard for a newcomer to join the clique.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:11 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I'll admit that the ping pong table is bs. If you're given 30 minutes for lunch, you're stuffing yourself. Playtime is for home. However, one graveyard job had 4 of us playing at various times, since the machines were automated.

One temp job had me stacking coin bags for the fed reserve branch in Portland. They had 1 hour lunch and pool tables (note the (s)) as there were 4 of them. Ping pong, ice cream machine and even shoe buffer.....I should have tried harder to get hired there......
Aye, I have noticed this to. Some offices have nice lounges, ping pong table, darts, tv etc... but if you lunch is only 30 mins how are you ever going to enjoy the ping pong table, darts etc...? If you have an hour lunch it seems more feasible but that is assuming you don't won't be doing something else during that hour lunch.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The foolproof indicator is energy in the halls. If the atmosphere is lively, then okay. No workplace is perfect, but if people seem to be in reasonably good spirits, then it's a good indication of a company that actually cares about its employees. If, on the other hand, things are quiet and the employees have this vaguely hunted look about them, then you know it's a hellhole.
I worked for one company for quite a few years and it had that energy. Not 100% of the time, but pretty consistently.

I moved to another where everyone seemed to hide in their offices, eating lunch there and not talking with others. Horrible place.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:40 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Interviewers who were mean. I remember one when I was in my 30s. Big US company. Interviewed by two drop dead gorgeous HR girls in their late 20's. Right from the start they were mean. After 5 minutes I said "s**** this" and got up and left. I did that several times thru the years.
You got up and left in the middle of an interview "several times???" Sounds like you are the problem, not the interviewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment