Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:22 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As a business owner, I can understand ALL of these rules that have been brought up!

Not allowed to eat at your desk?? Too bad. Why should I have to pay to get a new computer because someone spilled their drink all over it??

A scheduled lunch hour?? Good. You are right, schedules change occasionally and this is the reason you ask a co worker to change times with you.

No candy or sweetened tea at your office? Bring your own!

Good grief. If all of these work places are so horrible, open up your own business and experience for yourself the "joys" of dealing with employees.
What is your policy for eating desks in your business? Can employees eat and drink at their desks in your business?

Do all of your employees have a scheduled lunch hour?

Do you offer candy in a vending machine or by other means?

If so, why? And if not, do your employees complain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
If a drink is spilled, it would likely only hurt the KEYBOARD...and that can be paid for by the EMPLOYEE that spilled the drink.

There are plenty of businesses where computer use is NOT a daily part of the job, however.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:50 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Why use the microwave when you can brown bag your own cold lunch such as tuna salad, chicken salad or even cold cuts (wax paper in-between pieces) in disposable baggies. Wrap your favorite bread in wax paper, bring a plastic fork/spoon, napkin and juice. You can assemble your lunch without the odors. Use the brown bag as your personal discard bag and close it up before tossing in bin. Throw it all away. One thing I've always hated was to carry plastic dishes back and forth from home to work.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Oh...I didn't happen to mention. Usually the only thing I consume at work, other than soda, is a book. I'd rather work through the lunch break, but they threatened to fire me for that.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If a drink is spilled, it would likely only hurt the KEYBOARD...and that can be paid for by the EMPLOYEE that spilled the drink.

There are plenty of businesses where computer use is NOT a daily part of the job, however.
What about the invoices, checks and other paperwork that might get ruined by a spilled drink? Those can not always be replaced. As a business owner I sure don't want to send out invoices to my customers w/ coke spilled all over them YUCK and totaly unprofessional and tacky. Also would not want to call a customer and ask them to recut a check for us because of a spilled drink.

As for the employee having to pay to replace items they may destroy. Not always practical. We have told employees if they do something stupid and tear up something they are responsible. When that item is something like the door on a large commercial truck........... they don't always have the funds to pay for such. Talk about creating resentment in the workplace. Remember us bosses are the ones w/ the "deep pockets" and can afford to do such according to the workers.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
No, my employer does not provide free health insurance. We once had a pension, but those hired as of 1/1/07 do not have the pension benefit. Again, we pay our own insurance, but I see your point.
Even if each employee pays for their own insurance IF it is thru the company the health and well being of EVERY employee is taken into consideration when the rates are figured up and quoted by the insurance company. The premium you pay is the exact same as someone else that smokes and drinks. Health insurance rates have gone up dramatically every year for the last 5-6 years.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Though these were not directed at me I thought I'd go ahead and answer them. Hope you don't mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
What is your policy for eating desks in your business? Can employees eat and drink at their desks in your business?
Yes, our employees do eat and drink at their desks. So far have not had any issues w/ spills ruining anything. HOWEVER, we do not like for the ones that drive the trucks to eat while driving. Considering all of our trucks carry "Hazardous Materials" I think that is in the best interest of everyone. They DO carry drinks w/ them.

Do all of your employees have a scheduled lunch hour?
While we don't have a set lunch schedule for every employee they have been told they MUST take it during a certain time frame. This is because TYPICALLY during the normal lunch hours business does slow down a tad. Not always but sometimes. The drivers can sometimes pick up something to eat while making a delivery (we do have some customers that are sell resturants, fast food places and bars and some times they will give them something). The people in the office DO have set "times" but again it is not per person like one ALWAYS goes at 11, 12 and 1.

Do you offer candy in a vending machine or by other means?
The only "vending" machine is a small quarter gumball machine w/ 4 items that a charity runs. HOWEVER, we provide and stock a FULL refridgerator of drinks that are FREE to all employees. Sometimes I will buy a box of the peanut butter cracker packets or individual bags of chips. We have known that there are some that will "stock up" and take a bunch home for personal use. Don't like that but unless we put a lock on it and they have to "check something out" not much we can do about it. I'm the one that goes and buys everything and me as a lil ol 40-something female will buy in 1 trip: 12-14 cases of Gatorade, 20+ cases of soft drinks, 4-6 cases of water, paper goods, etc. I load this into my car and take it to the office and most times have to unload it myself. Had one guy work for us that would NOT lift a finger to help nor help restock if he saw the cooler getting low that had the NERVE to come up to me when he knew I was headed to the store to REQUEST a certain flavor. UM, I BUY WHAT I DO DEPENDING ON WHAT GETS USED AND WHAT THEY HAVE IN STOCK! Take it or leave it!

I have said I was going to buy a coke vending machine and put it out on the dock. Only thing is good customers and delievery people that work for others KNOW we have the drinks.

Oh, commercial coffee maker and water jug sit out for all to use for free.

In the summer when it is really hot I will buy popsicles and those flavor ice thingies to keep in the freezer.

My hubby has also paid for lunch for everyone in the office on many occasion.

I think we do MORE than enough.

If so, why? And if not, do your employees complain?
Even though we provide ALL of this and they do not have to pay for it there are still people that complain. If too many complain at one time then I will just "forget to go" or be too busy to. One time I even left on vacation for a week KNOWING they did not have enough drinks to last 1 day. Too many had been complaining about whatever so I did not feel like busting my butt to restock when I had other things to take care of in order to be gone for a week both personal and business related.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:43 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
No, our employees are not permitted to drink/eat at their workstations. We are healthcare providers and the charts of patients do not need to be soiled with food and drink. This also cuts down on bugs.

We have an employee kitchen and lounge with a stove, oven, microwave, refigerator, coffee pot and a large dining table. There is also an outside eating area that the employees use during the warmer months. I supply all the coffee and extras that go with it and bring homemade breakfast items at least once a week.

There is no candy/ vending machine. This is not because I do not want them to have it, but because there is really no need for one. The employees do not care about the lack of a vending machine. We have a bunch of health nuts at work. They usually like to bring their own meals.

To address the issue of replacing the computer/keyboard if drink is spilled. If this type of issue is not specifically addressed in the employee handbook, there is no hope for restitution.

Yes, we had to resort to a scheduledd lunch/break schedule because we had issues with some of the less than responsible employees taking longer lunches than they were supposed to and other employees being left unable to take a lunch break until 2 or 3.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:17 PM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
At my current job, most of the people in my department (around 30) are hourly and perform the same job tasks, so it's no big deal when a group of people takes lunch at the same time. We have a 30-minute lunch break (usually not enough time to go out and get something without rushing) and two 15-minute breaks. Since my day starts at 7:00 a.m., I usually take my lunch from 11:30 to 12:00 noon. I personally don't like eating at my desk, so I go to the company cafeteria instead.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:46 PM

61 posts, read 490,953 times
The last place I worked there were many employees and there were not enough seats in the lunchroom. It would probably hold maybe an eighth of the people that work there. I went out and ate in my car a lot. It was nice to get away and listen to the radio, but there were days that I ate at my desk too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment