Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 10:32 AM

81 posts, read 49,286 times

Advertisements

Hi! I’m currently unemployed due to my former industry, hospitality, being completely gutted due to COVID and no rebound in sight anytime soon. I’ve been laid off since March. I worked in hotels for a dozen years, primarily in the finance department. I was an accountant, with experience in accounts payable, receivables, payroll master and income audit.
I loved my work but realize it may be time for a career change, not an easy thing to face in my mid 40s.
I’m looking into medical billing and coding. I don’t have medical experience or a college degree but I feel my admin experience gives me a bit of a start.
Does anyone have suggestions or advice in this field? I’m seeing a lot of different types of certifications but I’m not sure where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,825,262 times
It depends. I went through the training at Everest college. It wasn't a good choice. My background was in manufacturing. Thus, I wasted 9 months of training and a bundle of cash (sorry taxpayers)

Some of my classmates did get hired. Since your background includes typing, data entry it's possibly a job you may like, but breaking into the field isn't easy. Plus, the pay scale won't be anything like you're used to.

I'd really suggest you stay with what you know. I wish I had, after all, if you're not going to use the training, then it's worthless.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:11 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,784,723 times
A friend of mine recently graduated doing this, and got a job immediately. She did it 100% online through a school out of Washington (I think it was in Everett).

As long as you understand the pay is not great. Research salaries in your area.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
It depends. I went through the training at Everest college. It wasn't a good choice. My background was in manufacturing. Thus, I wasted 9 months of training and a bundle of cash (sorry taxpayers)

Some of my classmates did get hired. Since your background includes typing, data entry it's possibly a job you may like, but breaking into the field isn't easy. Plus, the pay scale won't be anything like you're used to.

I'd really suggest you stay with what you know. I wish I had, after all, if you're not going to use the training, then it's worthless.
Thank you! My other thought is to just finish my accounting certification, perhaps an associates and focus on tax accounting.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
Thank you! My other thought is to just finish my accounting certification, perhaps an associates and focus on tax accounting.
This would pay more.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
This would pay more.
True, and we all know taxes aren’t going away

Old 08-21-2020, 10:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,825,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
You're welcome. You'll definitely be way better paid as accountant or tax accountant and prepper.

I wish you well

Old 08-22-2020, 08:06 AM

124 posts, read 114,990 times
AI "Artificial Intelligence" will eventually make medical coding done by humans obsolete. There will still be employment in the field but it will be more experienced, higher level workers that have additional training (RN, MD, etc.) acting as consultants. Have been around this industry for 20+ years (work for large health insurer) and watched pay go down dramatically in just the past 2-3 years. I would not recommend it as a new career but for someone already in it, you MUST up-skill to stay employed.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:55 AM

Not sure about MI, but in FL that is a $ 15.00/hr job if you are lucky.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:10 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,310,950 times
There is a need for people who can do accounting and bookkeeping functions in almost every industry, not just hospitality. Wouldn't you current skills translate to other industries that need those skills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment