Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 08:50 AM

23,175 posts, read 12,351,970 times

Advertisements

No way would I change my number. That's silly. I've had the same number for 20 years and too many people and accounts have it. And it solves nothing. If you can't tell the boss you're not using personal phone for business, how are you going to refuse a direct request for your new number?

Simply don't respond to any business communications on your personal phone. Don't even read texts or emails. Just don't. If questioned, say whatever you want. You didn't get it. You didn't have your phone with you. Your phone fell into the pool. Whatever.

Have you been accessible on your work phone? Could it be he is simply wanting a backup way to reach you because you too often don't respond to your work phone? Or it may be as someone suggested and this is a soft migration to eliminating company phones without paying personal phone bills. Once everyone is used to using personal phones for business with no compensation then one day the company phone is declared "redundant" and eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 09:36 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Have you been accessible on your work phone? Could it be he is simply wanting a backup way to reach you because you too often don't respond to your work phone? Or it may be as someone suggested and this is a soft migration to eliminating company phones without paying personal phone bills. Once everyone is used to using personal phones for business with no compensation then one day the company phone is declared "redundant" and eliminated.

I suspect this is the big problem. Have there been times he has been unable to contact you on the work phone when he should have been able to?

Old 08-11-2020, 10:03 AM

9,518 posts, read 8,542,336 times
Yes, I think we're not hearing the full story here. OP's boss most likely tried to contact her and since she wasn't responsive, he defaulted to her personal cell phone. Or, she pulled the ol' shoulder shrug and said "Sorry, didn't get your text/voicemail" or "Sorry, my work phone isn't working properly" excuse.

Regardless, I access my work email via my personal cell phone, not sure what the big deal is. I only use it for emergencies or times when I'm away from my laptop.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:01 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,939,003 times
Set clear expectations. Say you don't use your personal phone for work, and leave it at that. Don't over-complicate it. As others said though, pick up your work phone when expected, so there isn't a need to call your personal line.

There have only been a handful of times in my career where I've pulled someone's personal number, and that was when they were expected to be at work/on call/etc., and were MIA during something critical. I'm not saying your situation is the same, but that's what I've seen.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:25 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,403,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes, I think we're not hearing the full story here. OP's boss most likely tried to contact her and since she wasn't responsive, he defaulted to her personal cell phone. Or, she pulled the ol' shoulder shrug and said "Sorry, didn't get your text/voicemail" or "Sorry, my work phone isn't working properly" excuse.

Regardless, I access my work email via my personal cell phone, not sure what the big deal is. I only use it for emergencies or times when I'm away from my laptop.
I've done the same and voluntarily, because I want a backup to the work cell phone. My personal cell phone also uses a different mobile service provider, so that's even better.

I really don't get the objection. It is a fantasy that the employer is tracking your moves and stealing your personal information for some evil purposes. But I have to tell you, we don't call people out of hours unless it is urgent. So it the OP isn't reachable and the manager is suggesting you install these apps to keep in touch, I would take the request seriously, otherwise the OP is going to come back here complaining about being fired.

I manage a group in IT. Some people are on-call, others are working on an important project where things have hard launch dates. So some people need to make themselves available. If someone made themselves unreachable after they were told they may be contacted or needed, I would have a serious talk with them about it. This has not happened, but if it did and the answer wasn't legit, I would consider terminating that employee.

I'm talking about important things. I'm not talking about managers who like to call employees at home during dinner to chat about the day to catch up because they have no life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment