Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 07:18 AM

4,237 posts, read 3,186,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
People at our workplace go for smoke breaks. I don't get angry about it. They are going to pay a heavy price for those several breaks a day that they go do it.

On the other hand, we have a group of walkers that take breaks and walk down the long halls. It kind of works out for everyone in our case.

We are entitled to a half hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks. Usually most of us are too busy to take any of those breaks including lunch many days.
Missing a meal is simply not an option for me.

I read the book Nurses a while ago. When I read about the male who had deliberately cut off his genitals, I thought "Why would anyone do that?" and just kept on reading. But when I read about nurses who were too busy to eat, that bothered me. I have also read about nurses who restrict fluid intake so they can skip bathroom breaks. They end up with kidney stones and other urinary tract problems in middle age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 04:13 PM

957 posts, read 545,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I work in a hospital which is a non-smoking facility, but we all know how that goes. Anyway, I work with several people who smoke, and they go outside at least twice an hour and spend approximately 15 minutes each time on a smoke break. My question is, why is this acceptable? If I stated that I was going to take a 30 minute break once an hour, I would be given the stink eye and called into the office and told that I am allowed one 30 minute break per 12 hour shift. And yes, this has been addressed to to administration to no avail.
I work in a non smoking facility - and there are smokers at my work as well and it bothered me a ton - because we all signed a paper stating that we were non smokers and we would not smoke on the job... yet they do the same thing (there about 5 or 6 of them) they take a break almost every hour to go out and have a 'quick' smoke' while the rest of us pick up the pieces while they are gone... and then they come back into the office smelling of cigarrettes.. and I have asthma so its difficult for me to breathe.

It was brought up to management and they said they would 'take care of it'. They didnt... so it was reported to corporate.. and it WAS taken care of.

Is there somewhere higher than 'the administration' that you can go to, and report this? This type of behaviour isnt ok. Everyone gets the same number of breaks.. whether they smoke on them, eat on them or just take a walk. No one gets more than someone else just because they need a nicotine fix.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:00 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,498,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Missing a meal is simply not an option for me.

I read the book Nurses a while ago. When I read about the male who had deliberately cut off his genitals, I thought "Why would anyone do that?" and just kept on reading. But when I read about nurses who were too busy to eat, that bothered me. I have also read about nurses who restrict fluid intake so they can skip bathroom breaks. They end up with kidney stones and other urinary tract problems in middle age.
Oh we don't miss meals. We simply eat meals at our desks. I couldn't miss a meal. I store flavored tuna packets, bone broth, turkey chili, etc in my drawer. Pop open the can - use a disposable fork or spoon - no need to heat (for me). We do have a guy that does Intermittent Fasting, so not eating for him is the norm.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:20 AM

89,206 posts, read 85,980,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Not helping it and contributing to the problem. Because other sources exist is no excuse. If there were drive by shootings going on would that justify you breaking arms?

Really poor analogy. By smoking, I was harming myself far more than anyone else, and most importantly, there was no intent to harm others.

But let's play. If you were somewhere that there were drive-by shootings and someone else was breaking people's arms, why do you get all red-faced and bulgy-eyed and pointy-fingered over the person breaking the arms and ignore the drive-by shootings?

Old 08-07-2020, 07:38 AM

4,237 posts, read 3,186,487 times
Quote:
Oh we don't miss meals. We simply eat meals at our desks. I couldn't miss a meal. I store flavored tuna packets, bone broth, turkey chili, etc in my drawer. Pop open the can - use a disposable fork or spoon - no need to heat (for me). We do have a guy that does Intermittent Fasting, so not eating for him is the norm.
That's better. A friend in college told me that his religion professor advocated fasting. That caused me to shudder with horror. My friend's argument in class was to the effect that if there were 100 million starving people in the world (or whatever the number was back in the late 1970s), how would increasing that number to 100 million and 1 make the world a better place?

Old 08-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
That's better. A friend in college told me that his religion professor advocated fasting. That caused me to shudder with horror. My friend's argument in class was to the effect that if there were 100 million starving people in the world (or whatever the number was back in the late 1970s), how would increasing that number to 100 million and 1 make the world a better place?
I have actually done Biblical based fasting. It is to focus on prayer, usually for something serious, maybe a critically ill friend. That is the only time I have fasted is if that is on my heart. I do not fast for diet reasons although folks committed to intermittent fasting really swear by it. I don't like not eating! Short term fasting is not harmful if you do not have medical issues as long as you are drinking plenty of water. Intermittent fasting is really planned eating, eating maybe within a 4 or 6 hour window of time only.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:10 AM

89,206 posts, read 85,980,213 times
Quote:
I have actually done Biblical based fasting. It is to focus on prayer, usually for something serious, maybe a critically ill friend. That is the only time I have fasted is if that is on my heart. I do not fast for diet reasons although folks committed to intermittent fasting really swear by it. I don't like not eating! Short term fasting is not harmful if you do not have medical issues as long as you are drinking plenty of water. Intermittent fasting is really planned eating, eating maybe within a 4 or 6 hour window of time only.
My last bosses were Muslim, so fasting was a part of their spiritual practice, as well. They don't eat from sunrise to sunset during the month of Ramadan. I felt so awkward the first Ramadan I worked for them because we went to a business lunch at which the firm was receiving an award. They motioned away the food when the server came, but food was put in front of me. I told them I felt uncomfortable eating when they were not, and they laughed and said, "No, eat! Eat! We are used to this!" As it turned out, the rest of the table was also a Paki-owned company with one non-Muslim in attendance, so there we sat at a table of ten, two of us eating.

I found out that they get up at two or three in the morning and eat something and then go back to sleep. The son in the family said the worst thing for him was giving up coffee in the morning, so he would start cutting back in the weeks before the fasting month.

It's a common spiritual practice in many traditions going back to ancient times and has nothing to do with starvation.

I get so cranky when I'm hungry that I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off, but I guess that is part of the discipline.

Anyway, we've veered off topic, and I'm guilty.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Interesting tidbit and story Mightyqueen. Yes I got a bit off the topic as well - just to quickly explain the concept to mschultz. That was an awkward situation you were in and made me laugh. Anyhow - back to topic!

Old 08-08-2020, 03:21 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,389,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Can you find a job in a better facility?
Believe it or not this is the way it is in every hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment