Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 08:05 AM

208 posts, read 99,944 times

Advertisements

I have been laid off / let go multiple times over my career and once recently. I found another job, but I constantly fear getting let go again. Every day I worry about it and wonder if this is going to be the day they let me go. I constantly worry about my performance and if I'm doing well enough. Its actually affecting my sleep. Can anyone relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 08:19 AM

18 posts, read 10,556 times
Feel the same way. Things will get better in time when you been in a position long enough. At least it shows you care, there are people out there that don't even care to work.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Are you living paycheck to paycheck? Letting your job skills get rusty and limited to what you currently need?

Best way to reduce fear of layoff is to keep your skills sharp for the industry as a whole not just your current position, and to have six months of living expenses set aside.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
I have been laid off / let go multiple times over my career and once recently. I found another job, but I constantly fear getting let go again. Every day I worry about it and wonder if this is going to be the day they let me go. I constantly worry about my performance and if I'm doing well enough. Its actually affecting my sleep. Can anyone relate?
Yes, and I think it's normal for most people to worry about being laid off/fired for your next mistake. Mostly everybody does, that's why people throw others under the bus, etc.

I will say though ... you need to find your comfort zone. I will give you an example.

Where I work, we have a small accounting department. The people who work there are nice, laid back people, they don't work too hard, don't stay late, etc. My company pushes them very hard, too hard for the kind of personalities they are. They don't have that work ethic or attention to detail and they are paid too little for what is asked.

However, if they worked the floor at Home Depot, they'd be great employees, or accounting in like a local municipality, they'd be likely stellar employees, if you know what I mean. They show up on time, do what they're told, take some initiative. Also, stress and pay isn't worth it if it takes years off your life and affects your personal life.

Everybody needs a job, and TBH many jobs in the US exist for no other purpose than to give those people jobs. People need to do a better job fleshing out what kind of job is a fit for them, and I'm at the top of that list...

The problem is that everybody wants the highest salary, so won't settle for something that is a better fit. There's other problems too, but I see that as the biggest culprit.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:42 PM

521 posts, read 292,396 times
Can you try applying for government jobs? this may take months or years but it may be better fit for you

Old 07-28-2020, 02:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
better fit for you
It's hard for a lot of people to think that way.

They think about what larger salary they can get to pay for their house mortgage or their kids' classes. There's a trickle down effect too.

If I look for a job, it's easier for me to find a job that pays 100K a year than it is to find a job that pays 45K a year. A LOT easier.

I can't even begin to explain how @ss-backwards and stupid that is...

Last edited by jobaba; 07-28-2020 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
Yes, I absolutely can relate. I'm in constant fear of losing my job, mostly due to factors outside of my control. Losing this job will likely require me to relocate, which I really do not want to do. Also, I am the sold breadwinner since my wife's career never launched, so I am in serious trouble if I lose this job.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Are you living paycheck to paycheck? Letting your job skills get rusty and limited to what you currently need?

Best way to reduce fear of layoff is to keep your skills sharp for the industry as a whole not just your current position, and to have six months of living expenses set aside.
None of that helps if employers have no work.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yes, and I think it's normal for most people to worry about being laid off/fired for your next mistake. Mostly everybody does, that's why people throw others under the bus, etc.

I will say though ... you need to find your comfort zone. I will give you an example.

Where I work, we have a small accounting department. The people who work there are nice, laid back people, they don't work too hard, don't stay late, etc. My company pushes them very hard, too hard for the kind of personalities they are. They don't have that work ethic or attention to detail and they are paid too little for what is asked.

However, if they worked the floor at Home Depot, they'd be great employees, or accounting in like a local municipality, they'd be likely stellar employees, if you know what I mean. They show up on time, do what they're told, take some initiative. Also, stress and pay isn't worth it if it takes years off your life and affects your personal life.

Everybody needs a job, and TBH many jobs in the US exist for no other purpose than to give those people jobs. People need to do a better job fleshing out what kind of job is a fit for them, and I'm at the top of that list...

The problem is that everybody wants the highest salary, so won't settle for something that is a better fit. There's other problems too, but I see that as the biggest culprit.
The problem is, in many fields, those low stress jobs do not exist.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
Can you try applying for government jobs? this may take months or years but it may be better fit for you
Where I live, a government job is like winning the lottery. Telling somebody to apply for a government job is about as useful as telling somebody to win the lottery. Also, since they promote from within rather than hiring new people, unless you get hired straight out of college, it isn't an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment