Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 06:53 AM

957 posts, read 537,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
They told me that would be discussed after the trial run
I would want to know this information up front.... Why would I want to switch to a position that I know next to nothing about, without a pay raise or some kind of elevated benefit to ME.

They can TELL you what the additional $ or benefits would be before you have the trial run... it sounds like they want to see how good you are before deciding what to pay you or not. Nah....

I would be asking them ALL these questions you have asked the board... they are good questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:51 AM

618 posts, read 938,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
I would want to know this information up front.... Why would I want to switch to a position that I know next to nothing about, without a pay raise or some kind of elevated benefit to ME.

They can TELL you what the additional $ or benefits would be before you have the trial run... it sounds like they want to see how good you are before deciding what to pay you or not. Nah....

I would be asking them ALL these questions you have asked the board... they are good questions.
I talked to the hiring manager and he said there would be no obligation on my part should I not like it. I suppose i could reject the position should the salary and benefits not be increased. I can not officially accept unless there is an official offer anyway.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
I talked to the hiring manager and he said there would be no obligation on my part should I not like it. I suppose i could reject the position should the salary and benefits not be increased. I can not officially accept unless there is an official offer anyway.
There is also no obligation for you to even try a position without knowing what the pay/job requirements would be. If it is more work for the same pay you are making now with no tangible additional benefits, then it seems silly for you to give it a trial run.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:20 PM

So I was offered the role. The person in the current role would take over my role. I indicated prior to my company I liked the duties of the trial run last month. However I did not think I would be offered her job. I thought I would be getting a new job with more addition duties as well. The problem is that i feel like the position is too narrow. My current role has many layers so if i were not good in 1 or 2 areas then i have other areas to lean on in theory. This one is more focused so if I dont excel there are not many other things i can soften the blow. Point being, i see it as high risk.

Can i tell them that? I am worried i am going to burn bridges. Then again, I found out only a couple days ago and now it just starting to sink in. My boss is already beginning on a transition plan of 6 months. Im really nervous. Has anyone been in that situation No official title or salary announced

Last edited by jobseeker2013; 07-22-2020 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 05:25 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
So I was offered the role. The person in the current role would take over my role. I indicated prior to my company I liked the duties of the trial run last month. However I did not think I would be offered her job. I thought I would be getting a new job with more addition duties as well. The problem is that i feel like the position is too narrow. My current role has many layers so if i were not good in 1 or 2 areas then i have other areas to lean on in theory. This one is more focused so if I dont excel there are not many other things i can soften the blow. Point being, i see it as high risk.

Can i tell them that? I am worried i am going to burn bridges. Then again, I found out only a couple days ago and now it just starting to sink in. My boss is already beginning on a transition plan of 6 months. Im really nervous. Has anyone been in that situation No official title or salary announced
No official title or salary? That sounds like bad news to me. Didn't management plan for this? Do they know what they are doing? I would never try out for a position that was not clearly defined. I would need to know exactly what I would get for doing more work and more complicated work. Why take on more responsibility when you don't know what you would get out of it?

I think that you are being taken advantage of by a "bait and switch" technique but where they don't even offer you the bait. I am concerned about this "trial period". If management knows and is confident in your abilities then they should offer you a promotion and pay increase into a clearly defined job, not something nebulous and unclear. Then after you going through the trial period, management may say that they are unable to offer you a pay increase for this new role and that the way back to your old role is now blocked because they like the new person's work in it better than your's. Then you will be doing more work and having more stress with nothing to show for it.

Unfortunately, by taking on the trial role, you have shown your management that:

1) You don't really care about promotions and titles and getting ahead.

2) You don't really care about being compensated more for more work and more stress.

3) You are a team player and are willing to take hits on behalf of the company.

4) By your exemplary attitude (for the company), your management doesn't have to offer you anything more for the new role.

You can now say to management that you feel that this position is high-risk for you as you have explained. You may burn bridges if you do so, but I feel that you were set up the moment that you agreed to take on the new role on this "trial basis". It's not good that your boss has already started on a 6 month transition plan without your complete agreement to move forward with your new role. I am concerned that if you try to back out now, management may act upset and tell you that their transition plans have been ruined and that they have wasted their time. They may question your dedication to the company and call you wishy-washy and not a team player.

I am sorry, but this is my perception in this matter. I hope that I am wrong and that you can back out easily without damaging your reputation. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:45 AM

They just told me it would be a lateral. No salary increase. So another reason to not accept

Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
They just told me it would be a lateral. No salary increase. So another reason to not accept
That's why management was secretive about this position. They wanted someone to take it and not have to pay extra for it. My, my, amazing how this new position will pay EXACTLY THE SAME as to how much you made in your old position. Definitely a ripoff.

Hopefully, you should be able to get out of this easily with no damage (fingers crossed). I hope that you can get back into your old position without much drama.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 07-23-2020 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 09:52 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
That's why management was secretive about this position. They wanted someone to take it and not have to pay extra for it. My, my, amazing how this new position will pay EXACTLY THE SAME as to how much you made in your old position. Definitely a ripoff.

Hopefully, you should be able to get out of this easily with no damage (fingers crossed). I hope that you can get back into your old position without much drama.
The idea that management is creating a new position or assigning someone a new one, and doesn't have any information on it is completely bogus. They know exactly what they are doing trying to trick an employee into doing something that they would otherwise pass on.

After this management debacle, I think the OP should update the resume and look for another job. I find it disingenuous the way the position was proposed without any details by management and how it worked out.

Of course, there are going to be simpletons who repeat, "You want me to jump, just tell me how high!" grinning ear to ear.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:04 AM

My impression was I knew the person was overworked and when I was in this trial period I would be helping. So that is why I thought I would have other duties. The person in the role indicated it's too much for 1 person. She now doubts she could me of much assistance when role fully transitions. So i am scheduling a meeting with the hiring manager to discuss these concerns before i make an official decision yes/no. I hope they dont tell me tough, you are in it.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:11 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:

Oh, no. First off, you knew that this job was one the incumbent found stressful, and other people tried and didn't like. They had no idea (or, wouldn't tell you) if there was any benefit to you in switching. Now you've tired it out, you're not sure if it's for you, and you found out that it's apparently because they want to transition the person currently in the position to your job? Is that their primary reason for offering you to switch? Just no. (Keep in mind, though, that if you go back to your old job, this person is probably going to be mad, because I'm sure they were glad to get out of that position.)

(I'm sure the "trial period," by the way, was for them to see if they liked you in the role, not for you to see if you liked it.)

Quote:
How much does the other person make doing this job?

(And what's with them advertising for a job and then saying they don't want someone in it who doesn't already know how to do it? Who's going to know how to do it if they've not done it before?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment