Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 02:08 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times

Advertisements

I started to work part time in 1944 on my 14th birthday, and never had a pension or a 401K since leaving the Navy in 1954. Fortunate for us, I was always a high paid commission salesman, earning on an average 4 times then current median income, which for comparison purposes is $66,000 today so we sit with a luxury 3,700 sq ft house, on 5 acres owned FREE and CLEAR, and enough in the bank to be comfortable the rest of our lives and leave the home and a bunch of cash to our surviving 3 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:56 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I started to work part time in 1944 on my 14th birthday, and never had a pension or a 401K since leaving the Navy in 1954. Fortunate for us, I was always a high paid commission salesman, earning on an average 4 times then current median income, which for comparison purposes is $66,000 today so we sit with a luxury 3,700 sq ft house, on 5 acres owned FREE and CLEAR, and enough in the bank to be comfortable the rest of our lives and leave the home and a bunch of cash to our surviving 3 kids.
Basically the company could not offer employees meager pensions because they were too busy paying you the equivalent of 260K a year and to fund your 3,700 sq ft luxury house...

Last edited by jobaba; 07-16-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 02:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
How can any company expect loyalty or long term employment with them if they offer no pension? Every job has a 401k match yet they all act like they are doing you some kind of favor. Benefits are ok at most large companies so the only deciding factor could be pay but it’s pretty much abysmal across the board. Most companies don’t provide 100% employer sponsored health insurance anymore either. I often wonder how the American worker has let them get away with it and I think it’s due to that awful attitude of you should just be grateful to have a job. If you have been with a job long term with no pension what would be the reason?
1. Since the '90s, companies have adopted the Microsoft stance: work the crap out of them and drive them out after 5 years, or when they are no longer worth their pay.

2. Companies are not competing for you, they are competing against each other. If another company provides a benefit that seems to attract employees, they all will.

3. When price is the lowest common denominator, they all go for the lowest.

4. The worker takes the least worst option, because there are no other options.

You are looking for the company that existed before the 80s, when greed became good, and it became an employers' market.

In the 80s, the only chance was to job jump, but then the employers started filtering out "job jumpers."
In the 90s, the competition was between workers, based on creditentials.
After Y2K, it became a battle for "how low a wage will you go."

The Chinese fought the MNC (MultiNational Corp), by demanding wage bottoms before they would allow their workers to take work. (Government controlled wages. The Americans actually paid the communities and the communities paid the workers.) Since the majority of the MNCs are American, they have the full tilt boogie and the workers can go f*** themselves.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:24 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A 401k is a lot better than a pension, IMO, IF the company matches, or even contributes even if the employee doesn't. That's because the pension is in the hands of someone who can do pretty much what he wants (there are fiduciary laws & such). I'm not sure how it works, but pensions can be robbed (illegally and legally). Did you see the movie The Irishman? Jimmy Hoffa was in control of the labor union pension worth almost $8M. He did take pains to remember that the working stiffs were relying on it, but otherwise, he used it at a power tool and personal bank. So did the mobsters (even more so), when they got their hands on it.

Can you imagine what an Enron pension would have looked like after those crooks got through with it? They would have stolen the whole thing, just like they quietly sold their stock before the employees could find out the company was bankrupt. At least one employee committed suicide; his retirement plan consisted of a lot of Enron stock, which was worthless. The other employees' retirement accounts, to the extent they had Enron stock, were wiped out. Apparently Enron encouraged employees to buy Enron stock in their retirement plans.

401Ks are strictly regulated as to investments and fees. They have high fees, but you see your investments, and they are normal investments (like mutual funds).

A pension is fine if it's in addition to a 401k and benefits, and doesn't take away from salary. But most company no longer offer pensions these days.

I worked for a company that contributed to the 401k, whether the employee did or not. I'd look for that.
The only issue with a 401K match is that employers require a minimum number of years service before the match is 100% vested. My wife just left a company and only received 80% of the match because she was there for 4 years instead of 5. She lost over $10K, but it does not matter since her new job is at double the salary with a $30K signing bonus.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:50 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
...I often wonder how the American worker has let them get away with it and I think it’s due to that awful attitude of you should just be grateful to have a job.
Nobody owes you or anybody else a damn thing. You SHOULD be grateful to have a job. What the hell has gone wrong where we now have an entire generation (or two!) that expect everything to be handed to them?

Very few jobs out there that you can't leave if you choose to. If you don't like it where you are, MOVE and make your own future! SMDH...

Old 09-09-2021, 08:57 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The only issue with a 401K match is that employers require a minimum number of years service before the match is 100% vested. My wife just left a company and only received 80% of the match because she was there for 4 years instead of 5. She lost over $10K, but it does not matter since her new job is at double the salary with a $30K signing bonus.
This is the same with a pension...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment