Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 09:53 AM

84 posts, read 178,081 times

Advertisements

I am planning on putting in my resignation notice at work in the next couple of months. I have always received excellent reviews and feedback. I have worked at the company almost 12 years, but the only thing is I absolutely do not trust anyone I work with and would never ever use them as references. In that case what would you do about references when applying for a new job and they ask for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 10:39 AM

9,415 posts, read 8,388,669 times
References don't necessarily have to be from your current or more recent employer. You can use references from other past jobs or even personal references from people you've coached/served on the HOA board/volunteered/etc. with. Also, when you apply if they ask the question "Can we contact your current employer?" you always state "NO" to that.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:40 AM

9,415 posts, read 8,388,669 times
If all else fails, create a new Google Voice number for free, list that with a fake name and call the HR rep back and tell them what a great/outstanding employee you are and how lucky they are to have found you!

Old 04-24-2020, 01:41 PM

29,525 posts, read 22,688,988 times
Career Excuse: Internet’s most trusted reference service since 2009!

Quote:
”What else is there it say? I put down a bogus name and phone numbers for all 3 of my references. When the hiring manager called me saying he was unable to make contact with any references and if he couldn’t contact anybody by the end of the week (48hrs), I would be disqualified for the position.I had no idea there were companies such as these. Thanks to the internet, I found CareerExcuse and they custom made my references for me that same day. Next day my hiring manager offered me the job.

Tip for consumers: Test your number when you receive it. When I called, the computer generated voice had trouble pronouncing one of my references last name. I immediately contacted CareerExcuse and they fixed it over the phone.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:05 PM

4,976 posts, read 2,718,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
If all else fails, create a new Google Voice number for free, list that with a fake name and call the HR rep back and tell them what a great/outstanding employee you are and how lucky they are to have found you!
Clever! Reminds me of that Van Delay Industries episode on Seinfeld where George provided Kramer's apartment phone number as a "reference".

Old 04-24-2020, 02:23 PM

4,976 posts, read 2,718,453 times
Interesting... I didn't know such services existed. And World Class as they said! You get your own "career consultant", wow! Very slick, very professional website. Cannot see how they could have done it any better.

Saves a lot of time and trouble. Certainly can't trust your own former management to give you a good recommendation even if you did outstanding work for them and worked like a slave.

The only question. Is this "career service" legal?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:35 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,950,786 times
Quote:
Most peope give emails addresses also though.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:58 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,376,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
I am planning on putting in my resignation notice at work in the next couple of months. I have always received excellent reviews and feedback. I have worked at the company almost 12 years, but the only thing is I absolutely do not trust anyone I work with and would never ever use them as references. In that case what would you do about references when applying for a new job and they ask for them?
I don't have any expectation that references for candidates are only going to come from their current company. Successful candidates provide references from people who work in the same industry, but they never worked together at the same time.

You might not think you have other references you can use, but take out a sheet of paper and start listing people you know. List their spouses and family members at what jobs they have. Also add to this your neighbors and their spouses and family. Before you know it, a good neighbor's brother or sister-in-law would be an impressive reference for you.

All you need for a reference is someone who can speak in a professional manner about you.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:00 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
References don't necessarily have to be from your current or more recent employer. You can use references from other past jobs or even personal references from people you've coached/served on the HOA board/volunteered/etc. with.
This. I often use a former colleague I've stayed in touch with, a mentor, someone I've collaborated with on a project that required skills or expertise the potential employer would be interested in.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:14 PM

596 posts, read 253,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
  • References don't matter anymore for professional jobs.
  • It's illegal to give a bad reference/lawsuits.
  • Its an afterthought nowadays used to weed people out

Just inform the people you worked with or pick the new guy. They probably wont get called anyway, references lel next ur gunna ask about cover letters that's like so 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment