Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 04:05 PM

4,421 posts, read 2,969,650 times

Advertisements

So I got laid off and have been interviewing with multiple companies. One just decided to put off hiring due to Corona Virus. I have some other prospects though, but another one I just interviewed with might give me an offer, but I don't feel good about them. Its just the feeling I get about the company and people. But what do you do during a time like this? Should you accept offers like this, or wait for an offer from a company you actually want to work for? I also got 2 months severance.

Last edited by Berteau; 04-06-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 04:08 PM

23,666 posts, read 24,215,779 times
I think it would depend on your individual financial situation, could you afford to wait it out (for a better offer), or do you have bills that need to be paid immediately?

Old 04-06-2020, 04:12 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,159,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
So I got laid off and have been interviewing with multiple companies. One just decided to put off hiring due to Corona Virus. I have some other prospects though, but another one I just interviewed with might give me an offer, but I don't feel good about them. Its just the feeling I get about the company and people. But what do you do during a time like this? Should you accept offers like this, or wait for an offer from a company you actually want to work for?
How picky you are probably comes down to economics...how long you can pay the bills without a paycheck. The closer the bank balance comes to zero the more offers you'll seriously consider. But that isn't driven by a pandemic...its true the rest of the time. Only you can answer this question.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:38 PM

Money is not an issue right now. Like I said, I got a severance.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:03 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,671,660 times
Wait it out. While some things are not within our control at this moment, this ball is in your court. Pass on that job. Just think about it--if you're getting offers now under the circumstances, you can only imagine what it's gonna be like for you once this is all over. Best of luck.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:20 PM

18 posts, read 10,614 times
You might want to be careful. Sometimes lots of jobs pop up to apply for and sometimes there ain't much out there and who knows how long we are all going to live with the virus stopping some jobs.

But then again sounds like you are doing ok, as long as interviews keep coming

Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 PM

35,176 posts, read 31,496,692 times
It depends on how desperate you are. Many companies are on a hiring freeze. If you can wait it out, you may want to do so for a more appealing offer.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:25 AM

9,475 posts, read 8,463,541 times
Here's my best advice: take the offer right now. This recession is in its infancy, it's only going to get worse for the rest of the year and, likely, beyond 2020. Take it from a guy who lost his job shortly after 9/11, while you might think there are ample jobs everywhere, they can dry up in the blink of an eye. Two months severance is nothing and will fly by very quickly.

Remember, there is nothing stopping you from continuing your job search while employed. A bird in the hand, as they say.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Here's my best advice: take the offer right now. This recession is in its infancy, it's only going to get worse for the rest of the year and, likely, beyond 2020. Take it from a guy who lost his job shortly after 9/11, while you might think there are ample jobs everywhere, they can dry up in the blink of an eye. Two months severance is nothing and will fly by very quickly.

Remember, there is nothing stopping you from continuing your job search while employed. A bird in the hand, as they say.
I thought about taking the job and continuing my search for the same position while employed, but I kind of think that’s unethical. I would basically be lying to the employer buy just using them as a temp job.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:05 PM

10,634 posts, read 12,191,469 times
IMO, two months severance is nothing in this corona-virus unemployment environment.
I'd take the first thing that brought in a pay check.

But, you do you.

Quote:
I thought about taking the job and continuing my search for the same position while employed, but I kind of think that’s unethical. I would basically be lying to the employer buy just using them as a temp job.
Why don't you do that, and cross the "I found another job" bridge when you get to it?
You might be unemployed longer than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment