Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 07:29 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times

Advertisements

Not a problem at all. Not sure why you would even think that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 07:35 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
2.5 years is more than normal, especially in a first role. In fact, it's the ones that stayed 6+ years that I actually feel bad for, as they are often so underpaid relative to their peers. I'm an older millennial, and I've always changed companies after 2-3 years. Not only has it not been a hindrance, but it's helped me get to where I am in my career today.

Personally, on the average I feel like one can grow much faster by having to go through the learning curve often, meet new people, etc.

You will undoubtedly be interviewing one time, and you'll come across a hiring manager with a old school way of thinking who expects someone to be in role for 10+ years. Don't be swayed in this case, it just means it's not the right company for you.

The dirty secret of the corporate world is that external moves (even if they aren't promotions!!!) net a much bigger salary increase than internal moves. So, at some point you have to go where the market is pushing you.

I'm always amazed, I can only be 3 months into a new role, and the recruiters still reach out trying to entice you away. Clearly they don't care about tenure, lol!!!

Old 01-30-2020, 10:32 AM

1,159 posts, read 619,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman12771 View Post
I've been working at my current job for 2 1/2 years. This was my first job after college and I'm just not feeling content there anymore. Tedious work, not enough advancement, etc. The department has seen a lot of turnover recently (including my manager's recent departure). I just received an offer for a job that better suits my career interests. Will leaving after 2 1/2 years look terrible?
No not at all. Even after one year is fine. A couple months would look bad

Old 01-30-2020, 11:44 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,270 times
Quote:
I've been working at my current job for 2 1/2 years. This was my first job after college and I'm just not feeling content there anymore. Tedious work, not enough advancement, etc. The department has seen a lot of turnover recently (including my manager's recent departure). I just received an offer for a job that better suits my career interests. Will leaving after 2 1/2 years look terrible?
The fact that you've received an offer should answer your question. 2.5 years with you youngsters is not bad for your first job. Now if you do that for this new job and the next well then you might start showing a pattern a hiring manager might find worrisome.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In some jobs, think accounting, some duties are carried out only annually. Someone there for 2.5 years may only have one year experience in those specific things.
Also consider the old argument of 10 years experience vs 1 year experience x 10 years of repetition.

Works both ways.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I recommend sticking it out through your 'gold watch anniversary'.

-signed, 1937

Old 01-30-2020, 07:57 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
No. You're young. Look out for you and your own future. The companies aren't going to worry about you when you're 50, so look out for yourself and take chances now while you're young!

This is coming from an employer who owns his own business.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Will leaving after 2 1/2 years look terrible?
Not a bit.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I've had 6 jobs in 8 years. Every move was a promotion and a change of state. I've got applications out there! With retirement looming, why not?

Old 01-31-2020, 09:03 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
No.

These days, you can move jobs every couple of years easy. Some people climb up and up. Some just move around. Longevity just isn't a thing any more.

The longest I've ever been with one employer was five years, and the longest I've ever spent at one job is four. I hope to beat both numbers with my current job, but who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment