Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 08:26 AM

45 posts, read 59,967 times

Advertisements

I recently read a report that Austin is the # 1 place for IT jobs because of the influx of companies moving there and also the housing market. Is this still true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 02:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,047,470 times
Wouldn't surprise me. Austin is (and has been) growing a ton, I know traffic there is always a pain. Dell's headquarters is there too if I'm not mistaken. It's a big IT hub

Old 01-20-2020, 04:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,253,874 times
Austin isn't #1 for IT jobs because of the housing market. The housing market is tight because of the many IT jobs.

Washington DC has a lot of IT jobs.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:07 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,530,624 times
Pittsburgh.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:28 AM

35,356 posts, read 31,793,012 times
It depends on what you're doing.

The top end development work is still largely in the costly coastal metros. Back office stuff can be done about anywhere and somewhere like Dallas may have strengths there.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:06 AM

6,032 posts, read 6,219,840 times
Cloud, I'd say Seattle, but housing is admittedly atrocious. I've been here two decades and juiced in on that cash-cow from almost Day 1, like anyone with any brains at that time. Traded up a couple times, I'm all done and take jobs where they are found. They always are.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:31 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,908,707 times
I would say Kansas, since many new datacenters especially government is moving there and cost of living much lower than Texas.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:11 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,931,367 times
Look to Boise, but that's booming too, both in opportunity and cost.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,879,153 times
Boise, Kansas, seriously??? I lived in Boise and I would advise highly not to go there for its IT infrastructure. It's the type of city where you got to beg for a crappy job.. Also, with the hordes of Californians moving there, Boise's cost of living has risen significantly. In fact, I was a reading an article that Boise has had the largest increase in property values of any city in the USA. Boise is even worse than Nashville in this regard. Another supposed tech hub that is not really a tech hub.

Real emerging tech hubs are places with lots of tech jobs.. Who would have guessed? I am an out of work software developer struggling to get back on the job market and I have my eyes on a few areas with an emerging tech market. Some of these places have really become established. Places like Silicon Valley , Seattle and even Boston are well established tech markets where the competition and exorbitant cost of living and rigorous work environments takes away a lot of the benefits people may think of having an IT job.

But, on my list of emerging or more recently established IT/tech markets would be the following:
Denver, CO/Boulder, CO
Research Triangle (Raleigh/Durham), NC
Atlanta, GA (new player in tech scene)
Charlotte, NC (booming tech market and now the de fato Fin-Tech capital)
Salt Lake City, UT
Austin, TX (Really an established tech hub , but growing even more)
Huntsville, AL
Dallas, TX
Columbus, OH (new player in tech with emerging tech scene and cheapest living of the bunch)

Old 01-21-2020, 04:26 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,931,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Boise, Kansas, seriously??? I lived in Boise and I would advise highly not to go there for its IT infrastructure. It's the type of city where you got to beg for a crappy job.. Also, with the hordes of Californians moving there, Boise's cost of living has risen significantly. In fact, I was a reading an article that Boise has had the largest increase in property values of any city in the USA. Boise is even worse than Nashville in this regard. Another supposed tech hub that is not really a tech hub.

Real emerging tech hubs are places with lots of tech jobs.. Who would have guessed? I am an out of work software developer struggling to get back on the job market and I have my eyes on a few areas with an emerging tech market. Some of these places have really become established. Places like Silicon Valley , Seattle and even Boston are well established tech markets where the competition and exorbitant cost of living and rigorous work environments takes away a lot of the benefits people may think of having an IT job.

But, on my list of emerging or more recently established IT/tech markets would be the following:
Denver, CO/Boulder, CO
Research Triangle (Raleigh/Durham), NC
Atlanta, GA (new player in tech scene)
Charlotte, NC (booming tech market and now the de fato Fin-Tech capital)
Salt Lake City, UT
Austin, TX (Really an established tech hub , but growing even more)
Huntsville, AL
Dallas, TX
Columbus, OH (new player in tech with emerging tech scene and cheapest living of the bunch)
Boise, Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment