Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 07:10 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,581 times

Advertisements

You found out that the company that you work for has a life insurance policy on you. Your first thought, how decent of them to think about my wife and kids if something happens to me. Unfortunately you are not the beneficiary, they are. Dead peasant insurance is taken out on you to compensate the company for their loss if you croak.

So, next time you are planning to go to the gym to do some weights and cardio training then your boss comes to you with another two hours of work at 4:45 PM, think to yourself if I don't go to the gym enough times do they win either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 07:15 PM

If they can make you work 80 hours a week and they collect on the policy because they worked you to death, they can't even be charged with killing you for the money.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Unless you're a highly compensate executive of the company, you gave them your written consent so it should not be anything you didn't already know.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unless you're a highly compensate executive of the company, you gave them your written consent so it should not be anything you didn't already know.

Highly compensated? The weekly amount that they can deny you overtime pay as of five days ago was raised from $455 a week to $673 a week. $673 a week was considered highly compensated about 40 years ago.

The guys that you are talking about leave work at noon once a week for a liquid lunch and an afternoon of golf. The man or woman making 36,000 a year can't afford a shot of Macallen 12 let alone a bottle.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 01-05-2020 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2020, 01:41 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You found out that the company that you work for has a life insurance policy on you. Your first thought, how decent of them to think about my wife and kids if something happens to me. Unfortunately you are not the beneficiary, they are. Dead peasant insurance is taken out on you to compensate the company for their loss if you croak.

So, next time you are planning to go to the gym to do some weights and cardio training then your boss comes to you with another two hours of work at 4:45 PM, think to yourself if I don't go to the gym enough times do they win either way.
You can't just take out a life insurance policy on anyone without their knowledge. So you don't just find out, as if they made a donation to a charity in your name. Cause if you could take out a life insurance policy on anyone without their knowledge and no problem approving it, you could take them out on anyone over 100 years of age:

https://www.frugalconfessions.com/un...thout-knowing/

Old 01-06-2020, 07:09 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
If they can make you work 80 hours a week and they collect on the policy because they worked you to death, they can't even be charged with killing you for the money.
They can’t make you work 80 hours a week, and your post about Overtime makes no sense.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:16 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,963 times
1. no one can force you to work overtime
2. no one can take out an insurance policy against you without your consent
3. my family IS the beneficiary of one of the insurance policy my company provides
4. if you're important enough the company thinks they will lose money if you die unexpectedly, they aren't going to ask you to work 80 hour weeks.

What are you talking about?

Last edited by Lekrii; 01-06-2020 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 07:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Why would you care if they have a life insurance policy on you? I have had "key man" policies on me before, it really is no big deal.

Your accusation that they are trying to work you to death is simply a bit crazy. More likely than not, a person who is overworked quits due to exhaustion, they don't drop dead. If they overwork you and you quit, they get nothing. There is no motive there.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
1. no one can force you to work overtime
2. no one can take out an insurance policy against you without your consent
3. my family IS the beneficiary of the insurance policy my company provides
That is false according to this link: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ca...ertime-2060058. It does state that there are eighteen states that limit the amount of overtime that an employer can force one to work.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:31 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is false according to this link: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ca...ertime-2060058. It does state that there are eighteen states that limit the amount of overtime that an employer can force one to work.
It's not wrong. Anyone is welcome to quit if an employer tries to make them work overtime. No one in the US is forced to work overtime.

Especially in today's economy, it's easier than it has been in a long time to find a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment