Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:51 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
OK, and how does sending just a resume and cover letter go?
Considering that I've been continuously employed for seven years, with a short break while moving and then going back another six years or so before we find any time when I've gone without work while looking... I'd say pretty darn good.

Quote:
I often hear that places don't take that and direct you to the two hour online app.
Then I'm not interested.

If you build and maintain a quality network, you'll always find work (assuming you're good at what you do). If your job search mode is reactive (waiting for someone to call, looking for online postings, filling out forms and waiting for responses), you'll experience a lot of frustration and delays.

Online applications are designed to weed people out. You should make it your job to weed you in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
I could never lead an interview even if they wanted me to. I'm not a leader and they are always the one in control. Because I have so many rejections under my belt it's at least just as much my loss as it is theirs.
If I were to ask a question they wouldn't want to hear it because the only question I have for them is what exactly do I need to do to get an offer from you?

If you ask it in a neutral way (which I have) ---what concerns do you have about me-- most of the time they give you a generic answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikepoison View Post

It's similar to dating. You want to appear interested, but not desperate. The less "available" you are, the more "attractive" you become.

That's why I'm not dating. On the rare occasion I'm actually into a man I have to have him. It's the same way. If I'm interested in working there I want it so bad I'm desperate. So I've tried acting like I don't want it since the more I want it the more they don't want to give it to me but then I still don't get a call back.
I've been grabbing at straws so I turned to this very accurate tarot reader and she said that I appear too focused that I have to fight for the job. I totally see that but again the minute I turn off my coldness I easily appear desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
And no, interviewing is not like dating. If you are less available, you are a less attractive candidate.
It is exactly like it. At least it is for me. I get rejected no matter what I do but I get passed over much faster when I show them how much I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
They might answer some questions about the company, but you are the one who applied for the job, so they are not here to meet your demands.
True though the sad part is my only demand is that you hire me and I only asked that because you stated that you were hiring but somehow that's too much for them. Yet they ask so much of me to try and prove to them that I'm worthy of the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
So bring your “A” game, research my company enough to be able to ask intelligent questions, and we’ll see how it goes. But you won’t be leading the interview.

I hope asking questions isn't a requirement. I'm not writing a paper for school. I'm here to do a job and then go home so the only questions I would need answers about is how much am I getting paid, are you going to hire me or are you going to pass me over like all the others, when can I expect an answer back and if you're hesitant about hiring me what can I do within my realm of ability to change your mind?

The first question is usually answered by google or sometimes in the job description (you're not supposed to ask that in an interview anyway) and you never give a straight answer on whether you're going to hire me or not so that question is pointless.
So I just end up asking in the interview the standard "do you have any concerns about me?" if that's not enough well then that just reiterates how I am forever screwed because for them to expect me to have more questions than about salary or me getting hired would mean that I would still give them something they don't want because I would be pulling questions out of my butt/stealing them from google failing miserably at faking interest in their answer since I suck at lying and being fake.
I've been trying to figure out how I can fight for a job I guess that's it but again I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that. I presume when you don't ask many questions they can take it as you're not willing to learn. I always loved to learn while I was in school so I have no issue learning on the job but I haven't got to the damn job yet!!! So how can I need to learn anything? The job descriptions tend to be pretty straightforward.
There might be rare occasions where I do have a question outside of those two things I mentioned earlier because there are times when the job descriptions might not seem so straightforward to you but when that happens you get the opposite. They probably still consider the description to be straightforward then so you look like an idiot asking them to be more clear.

Last edited by Nickchick; 01-08-2020 at 10:57 PM..

Old 01-09-2020, 09:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I could never lead an interview even if they wanted me to. I'm not a leader and they are always the one in control. Because I have so many rejections under my belt it's at least just as much my loss as it is theirs.
If I were to ask a question they wouldn't want to hear it because the only question I have for them is what exactly do I need to do to get an offer from you?

If you ask it in a neutral way (which I have) ---what concerns do you have about me-- most of the time they give you a generic answer.

That's why I'm not dating. On the rare occasion I'm actually into a man I have to have him. It's the same way. If I'm interested in working there I want it so bad I'm desperate. So I've tried acting like I don't want it since the more I want it the more they don't want to give it to me but then I still don't get a call back.
I've been grabbing at straws so I turned to this very accurate tarot reader and she said that I appear too focused that I have to fight for the job. I totally see that but again the minute I turn off my coldness I easily appear desperate.

It is exactly like it. At least it is for me. I get rejected no matter what I do but I get passed over much faster when I show them how much I want it.

True though the sad part is my only demand is that you hire me and I only asked that because you stated that you were hiring but somehow that's too much for them. Yet they ask so much of me to try and prove to them that I'm worthy of the job.

I hope asking questions isn't a requirement. I'm not writing a paper for school. I'm here to do a job and then go home so the only questions I would need answers about is how much am I getting paid, are you going to hire me or are you going to pass me over like all the others, when can I expect an answer back and if you're hesitant about hiring me what can I do within my realm of ability to change your mind?

The first question is usually answered by google or sometimes in the job description (you're not supposed to ask that in an interview anyway) and you never give a straight answer on whether you're going to hire me or not so that question is pointless.
So I just end up asking in the interview the standard "do you have any concerns about me?" if that's not enough well then that just reiterates how I am forever screwed because for them to expect me to have more questions than about salary or me getting hired would mean that I would still give them something they don't want because I would be pulling questions out of my butt/stealing them from google failing miserably at faking interest in their answer since I suck at lying and being fake.
I've been trying to figure out how I can fight for a job I guess that's it but again I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that. I presume when you don't ask many questions they can take it as you're not willing to learn. I always loved to learn while I was in school so I have no issue learning on the job but I haven't got to the damn job yet!!! So how can I need to learn anything? The job descriptions tend to be pretty straightforward.
There might be rare occasions where I do have a question outside of those two things I mentioned earlier because there are times when the job descriptions might not seem so straightforward to you but when that happens you get the opposite. They probably still consider the description to be straightforward then so you look like an idiot asking them to be more clear.
While there is really nothing wrong with those questions, the first is obvious and should be left out - you simply have to be the best qualified person of those being considered. Your only way to help with that after the interview is with better questions (more later on that).

The questions about their "concerns" about you would be helpful for future reference but also allow for you to try and overcome them if an honest answer is given. Many interviewers could avoid honesty due to concerns of possible discrimination claims, but if asked, I would just be sure to stick to job-related answers.

How much you would be getting paid is negotiated at offer timer, but we would give you the range. Since it's on the job announcement it would not be an appropriate question here. Whether we are going to hire you or going to pass you over like all the others is also inappropriate, obviously we wouldn't know that until after all the interviews, and background check on the person selected. Asking when you can expect an answer back is a food question though we always tell you at the end. Asking if we're hesitant about hiring you, and what you can do within my realm of ability to change your mind is interesting, never happened in my many years interviewing. I would probably answer something like "We tend to have 1-2 openings a year in this position. While there isn't anything I can think of to help someone post-interview, you could improve your chances in the future with additional training and/or experience in ____________ and __________. This does not men that you are not being considered for this opening, we will not make a decision until after all interviews are complete and we have a chance to discuss it thoroughly.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikepoison View Post
This is the best interview tip I've heard! Remember that job interviewing is a two-way street.

If you're not leading the interview, you are doing it wrong. Approach each interview like a partnership - being clear about what you can bring to benefit them, while communicating your own expectations. Phrases like "that works well for me" and "if we decide to work together" go really well!

It's similar to dating. You want to appear interested, but not desperate. The less "available" you are, the more "attractive" you become.
If at any time in any negotiation either side tries to overplay their hand, chances are that side will lose. Your advice reads more like a guy giving out an advice on how to get laid on the first night. It's manipulative, and any seasoned interviewer will see right through it.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:32 AM

571 posts, read 321,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I think a lot of people forget that in the current market, it is extremely one sided in favor of the candidate. I wouldn't ask them about what animal they would be... but I would definitely throw them situational questions and ask them about their biggest challenge right now.
This is absolutely, 100% fair in my opinion. The thing I appreciate the most is when the interview is casual and is more of a dialogue versus answering a rigid sheet of questions. And I'd rather be asked about situational questions, that the manager knows would exist in the day-to-day operations, than be asked some hypothetical about what my favorite color is and why. The more I know about the day-to-day situations I'll encounter, the better I can make a more informed decision if I would be good for the role, and then communicate that to the hiring manager.

This actually happened to me once, and I wasn't even upset about it; it was bittersweet, but I was happy over their transparency. I let the hiring manager know what I was looking for in the role, and she told me right up front that I'd probably be bored long term and there likely wasn't a lot of room for growth in the area I wanted to get into. And I think she told me that despite liking me as a candidate. If I had been younger and less experienced, I have little doubt they would have extended me an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment