Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 04:27 AM

3,880 posts, read 2,401,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely47 View Post
Sage advice: "Never trust your coworkers. Always look out for yourself." The workplace is a battlefield. Way too many people confide in their coworkers like they're "friends" and then they turn around and stab you in the back.
No, it's "love is a battlefield". Co-workers are just that, co-workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVZOLV9SPo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry but I've had a few bad experiences that my view is pessimistic and jaded. The world isn't all lollipops and sunshine. People are inherently selfish and will do what they can to make themselves look best in front of their boss. Hence, the best thing is to open your own business and be your own boss so you don't answer to anyone and avoid office politics.
Emphasis on few.

People who have never opened their own business are under the misconception that those who do, don't have a boss and don't answer to anyone. That's not true. Every single customer you have is your boss, every single one of them. And each of them has their own politics that you don't want to put the relationship in jeopardy.

Either way, the best thing to do is learn to work with people. Most people are spending time taking care of business, and if that impacts you it wasn't done directly to be evil. Maybe you were not paying attention or doing your work properly which is why someone else gets the credit and the promotion. Most of the complainers I have known, they weren't impressive to begin with and expected everyone else to make a clear path for their success at the expense of their own. That's just not realistic.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Everything modern workers say and do is recorder on their smartphones. That goes for what you have done or will do out of work. If, what you placed on the social media is against the corporations goals or beliefs, you could be fired: https://workology.com/history-of-ter...-social-media/.
Nonsense. Employers aren't spending time looking at social media for a reason to fire someone. Business is way to competitive for that. Another article written as click bait.

Quote:
Friendships are great at work and can help some advance through networking. But that help is from a two edged weapon. Should your 'friends' end up in a competitive roll or they become jealous they might recall information that could lead to your dismissal.
Additional nonsense. What are they going to do, "Boss, I heard that fisheye is up for a promotion. Well, I want to tell you, I saw them taking home a couple of company owned pens and pads for personal use. As well as using the photocopy machine for their garage sale...". No, I don't think so.

The very idea that the company is sitting in meetings worrying about this stuff so they can fire employees is not a common thing, regardless of what the click bait article says.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,367,374 times
Quote:
Everything modern workers say and do is recorder on their smartphones. That goes for what you have done or will do out of work. If, what you placed on the social media is against the corporations goals or beliefs, you could be fired: https://workology.com/history-of-ter...-social-media/.

Friendships are great at work and can help some advance through networking. But that help is from a two edged weapon. Should your 'friends' end up in a competitive roll or they become jealous they might recall information that could lead to your dismissal.
I hope they’re not recording conversations. In many states two-party consent is required.

If you mean just social media that’s another story.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:59 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,281,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I hope they’re not recording conversations. In many states two-party consent is required.

If you mean just social media that’s another story.
'They' do not have to record anything. People are posting everything on our social media and when employers see that and they don't approve; one can get fired: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/po...-fired-2062154. Just sit in any work lunchroom and watch your coworkers and how they use their cellphones. Then go to the local bar and watch what some employees say about their employer while using their smartphones and posting on the social media. All that can come back to haunt you.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:49 AM

35,276 posts, read 31,638,088 times
I trust them to a point. They aren't personal friends, but I don't dislike anyone I currently work with.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:59 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,937,929 times
Trust isn't an on/off switch, there are varying levels of trust you can have.

I don't trust co-workers completely (keep written proof of things that could come back to bite you), but at the same time simply never trusting co-workers would make life a lot more difficult. Getting to know people and getting them to trust you (as well as finding people you can trust) in the workplace makes any job much more pleasant.

Find a way to all work as one team, not to fight against everyone you work with.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:00 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,343,811 times
"Friends" is over-rated, at the workplace and everywhere. Co-workers at work are competitors - that is the truth.

You don't need to think your co-workers as friends. They are just co-workers, no more no less. You don't need to trust or distrust anyone at work. Just treat them reasonably nice and professionally. And if they don't treat you back the same, try to find out what went wrong. Learn to be assertive and brave to speak up for yourself. I've noticed that at the workplace whoever is too soft, too nice, too helpful to others is the one that people take advantage of and when they cannot take advantage off anymore, they will turn their face and dislike that person, and give that person many names such as passive aggressive, not a team player, etc.

There are people who don’t agree with you because they have not experienced what you have. People are with you because they have gone through bad experienced as you. There are always two sides for everything and every story. Don't need to feel bad if people don't agree with you. You are not alone.

When you work for an employer, be honest, do your best, work hard enough for what you get paid for or above and beyond when you can. When you can have a business of your own and if you have employees, treat them with respect and fairness.

No matter what, you do need to have a good relationship with everyone, boss, employees, and co-workers, to make your life easier. Don't think too much about personal stuff about people at work. When you come to work, be nice, professional, work and go home. You have your family and friends outside of work. That's it.

Old 12-27-2019, 01:14 PM

26,712 posts, read 41,916,384 times
Quote:
Sage advice: "Never trust your coworkers. Always look out for yourself." The workplace is a battlefield. Way too many people confide in their coworkers like they're "friends" and then they turn around and stab you in the back.
I learned this lesson the hard way. Now I keep my private life under hard lock and key. Be cordial enough to work with others but keep them out of your personal life.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:13 PM

9,518 posts, read 8,533,101 times
I also learned this lesson NEARLY the hard way. I entrusted some information with a co-worker who had been very friendly and open with me throughout the years. One morning I learned she had taken this information and run with it. Luckily it all worked out in the end but I will never, ever again entrust any information on any level - personal or otherwise - to anyone I work with. Generally most people are honest and entrusting; however, all it takes is one incident as I went through to no longer trust anyone colleagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment