Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:10 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,351,459 times

Advertisements

That's how smart employers/bosses/management people are. They know how to use employees' money to make good credit and name for them. Also, there are fundraising several times a year. The senior manager sends out emails to all employees constantly telling them to donate items, baking goods for the sales and buy things from the sales. They can make thousands of $$$$ from the sales. In addition, there's a GoFundMe account created by the top management to ask employees to donate money for some people who have deaths in their family. And they get percentage of the donations.

What fun at work now due to there are all kinds of activities, donations and helping each other, right?

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 12-19-2019 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 07:30 AM

1,620 posts, read 1,159,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What do you think of them. I'm not talking straight up company money charities but one that "strongly" encourages employees to fork over their own money and then that money is used for something in the name of the Company.

Some charities company match or simply use their own money but all too many "encourage" employees to join and use employee money. Thoughts?

Company can do what it wants, but its if "strongly encouraged" then a big fat nope. I have my own vetted charities I'll donate to thank you very much.

BTW, they do this for bragging rights, company name in the paper and company news letter. It's all optics.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,406,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I also work for a non-profit, but unlike your own, we are constantly asked to contribute. $250 plate dinners?
"How many tickets will you be purchasing?". Give up lunch once a week for 2 months and donate the money you'll save,( that one really ticked people off). And yes, United Way paycheck deductions, "We're expecting 100% participation".

They have my heart and soul as well as 50 hours a week of my time. I have no problem saying no to the rest.
Interesting.

I budget for small donations each month so I can give to friends doing walkathons or their kids are doing an activity, etc. and if I don't have something else come up, then my workplace is on the list of places I think about donating to, esp. if there is a matching funds campaign going on. So I do end up making a small donation to my employer most years, and I was surprised to find out that my co-workers were shocked that I even did that. But I'm glad that they really don't make any concerted effort at fundraising from employees. We have those fancy dinners and all, but they are geared to our generous outside donors. And I'm especially happy about no United Way!

Old 12-19-2019, 10:58 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,839,342 times
Manager, three levels above me, walks in and sits down in my office: "I noticed that you haven't completed your United Way Contribution for the year."

Me: "Yes, I'm getting married and buying a house, but if you'll put it in my in-basket, I'll call my fiance' and see if we can contribute."

Manager: "Well, time is short, and we really need to know what your contribution is, so if you could just fill this out. . . ".

Me: "I'll have to check with her, but set it here and I'll promise to get it to you by end-of-day".

Manager: "I'm going to a meeting shortly where contributions are going to be looked at to-date".

Me: Takes United Way contribution form, writes "ZERO", signs, hands to manager. I say "next year, leave it in my basket and I'll consider giving".

Manager: "Gets up in huge huff, and walks out.

Me: virtually no raise or advancement in next year. Thinks: "I'd better just pay the damned career tax next year."

Old 12-25-2019, 08:34 AM

50,800 posts, read 47,679,003 times
Update

They did put a big sign over a parking spot that says contributor of the year. So there's that.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 7,833,368 times
I worked for a local government. During my early years the elected politicians decided that United Way would be the only charity they/we would support as a (government) organization.

They printed up payroll deduction forms and made a big splash about it. Set up a network of employees in various departments to be "representatives" and talk it up.

I donated the first year but then didn't renew. Too vague on what the money was being used for plus media reports of shenanigans at the top levels of the UW. I wasn't pressured to renew although there were reminders.

They were strict on only supporting the UW. A pastor of a tiny church wanted to put a few collection boxes around campus. Although I don't think this is a good idea anyway he was quickly told no-the UW is the only charity we support.

The firefighter employees were not allowed to work the "fill the boot" MDA drive-nope, not the UW.

I had always wondered why the government was involved in any charity and how the mechanics of selecting the UW actually happened.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 PM

29,588 posts, read 23,030,617 times
Our company doesn't encourage or force anyone to donate to any charities.

Our company does lots of charitable work but on their own.

We do have paid volunteer days if employees want to do charitable work on their own.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:32 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,402,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Manager, three levels above me, walks in and sits down in my office: "I noticed that you haven't completed your United Way Contribution for the year."

Me: "Yes, I'm getting married and buying a house, but if you'll put it in my in-basket, I'll call my fiance' and see if we can contribute."

Manager: "Well, time is short, and we really need to know what your contribution is, so if you could just fill this out. . . ".

Me: "I'll have to check with her, but set it here and I'll promise to get it to you by end-of-day".

Manager: "I'm going to a meeting shortly where contributions are going to be looked at to-date".

Me: Takes United Way contribution form, writes "ZERO", signs, hands to manager. I say "next year, leave it in my basket and I'll consider giving".

Manager: "Gets up in huge huff, and walks out.

Me: virtually no raise or advancement in next year. Thinks: "I'd better just pay the damned career tax next year."
Give them ONE DOLLAR. Not a dollar taken out of each pay period...just ONE DOLLAR, once and done. Grudgingly, after they've sent you umpteen contribution forms and called you on the carpet several times. Make them "earn" that dollar. They get their "donation" to make their compliance quota, and you get to make your opinion of Extortion Way...oops, I mean United Way...clearly known. I did this a few times when I worked at places that participated. Mostly I didn't give anything at all.

I worked at one place that bullied employees to donate to Extortion Way...oops, I mean United Way. They posted the names of people who wouldn't contribute on the bulletin board (titled it the "Wall of Shame"), and in the monthly newsletter. Fortunately, we were unionized (AFSCME), and this was considered a workplace violation (I was our building's steward at the time). I addressed it with the other stewards and the union rep, and we confronted HR, who had to cease and desist the "Wall of Shame". Incidentally, I was one of those listed on the "Wall" for not contributing. BTW, I never gave a Rat's Arse about career "advancement", and the raises were already lousy for everyone every year, anyway, so it didn't matter.

On a kinder note, there would be infrequent circumstances where a co-worker would be seriously hurt or ill, and had exhausted her PTO. We (myself included) often contributed a day or two of our own. That was a charitable workplace circumstance I did not mind supporting.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-28-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 10:28 PM

3,322 posts, read 5,611,207 times
Huge scandal in Charlotte a few years back when it was disclosed that the CEO of United Way in Charlotte made well over $500,000 per year.

United Way is a scam - there are much better ways to donate that really help people.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:50 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,434,699 times
To check out a charitable organization, you can search and see if accredited and if not accredited the reasons why:

http://www.give.org/search/?term=

Amongst other information, states the salaries of the CEOs.

Last edited by Taffee72; 12-29-2019 at 03:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment