Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Sorry, but no one is working 80 hour weeks there if they are claiming that, that's just their ego talking.

If they hate working there, perhaps they just hate working in general. You need to talk to people who aren't friends who are actually doing the job you want there and get feedback from them.

For every person who claims they are working 80 hours a week I have known, they sure have a lot of time to post to social media including photos of them at locations not anywhere near the office.
True. Most people exaggerate their working hours. They may work an occasional 60 hour week, that morphs into an 80, which morphs into frequently or constantly.

Yes, some people do work long hours like that. The vast majority do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
ever been ordered to falsify numbers? Ever been told to lie? Ever been put in the situation where it's your job or your integrity? It happens. i've stood in front of management and made career limiting decisions but i can sleep with myself at night.
Preach!

Old 10-20-2019, 11:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Sorry, but no one is working 80 hour weeks there if they are claiming that, that's just their ego talking.

If they hate working there, perhaps they just hate working in general. You need to talk to people who aren't friends who are actually doing the job you want there and get feedback from them.

For every person who claims they are working 80 hours a week I have known, they sure have a lot of time to post to social media including photos of them at locations not anywhere near the office.
If you're talking BCG and McKinsey, I wouldn't be surprised if it's "up to" 80 hours a week, certainly at times.

Big consulting firms operate like big law firms - churn 'em and burn 'em. Unrewarding work for new associates and then it's an "up or out" mentality after the first couple of years. No promotion? Gone.

My last corporate gig had me working 80 hours a week at times. No time for lunch, social media, even to really use the bathroom. No time for any activities outside of work either. Most people there ate at their desks and came in early/left late. 80 hours means around 12 hours a day in the office + early morning emails/late night emails and hours spent on weekends. I left after a year realizing it wasn't worth it.

It does happen.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:04 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
"...why do pple hate it there and always want to leave? Is my sample size just too small?"

1. some hate it and want to leave, and some do not.
and...why do they "always" want to leave but do not?
2. yes.
sample size is small.
3. essentially, our "take" is: big bucks for BIGGER commitment.
that is how the hiring company makes a profit.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:44 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,707,183 times
The multiple independent firms that rate companies and decide who is the best to work for are telling the truth because posts on the Internet are all true. Everyone who works for those firms loves it there. There is no burnout. There is no dissatisfaction. Anyone who says that they don't like working for those firms is either lying or delusional. Anyone who believes counter to what the professional independent firms say about these top companies is just a nutty conspiracy theorist.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
I've worked for 2 of these places and neither company lived up to their glowing profiles on top workplace lists.

I think what you see is the result of a core group of people (the cult) responding to these surveys. These people drink the koolaid and skew the results. The rest of us decline the survey or give neutral replies.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:26 PM

801 posts, read 547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I have close friends & family that work for big 3 consulting (BCG, Bain, McKinsey). These 3 companies are constantly on multiple independent sites as top places to work. Key emphasis on multiple independent.

However, my close family & friends seems to hate it there. Yes benefits, on paper, are amazing. However, the work/life balance is non-existent. Constantly working, 80 hour weeks, no such thing as real PTO, etc etc. The kicker is they all say this is consistent and all their coworkers feel the same. Tenure is never more than a couple years.

I guess I'm concerned with the discrepancy between top places to work and real life. If only 1 site said this is a great place to work, yea sure ignore. But multiple independent sites rate these companies in top 5 year after year after year. If it's that great, why do pple hate it there and always want to leave? Is my sample size just too small?
Anyone can create a bogus survey to yield whatever resuls you want it to yield.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 10-20-2019 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 10:35 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ever been ordered to falsify numbers? Ever been told to lie? Ever been put in the situation where it's your job or your integrity? It happens. I've stood in front of management and made career limiting decisions but I can sleep with myself at night.
No, because I did my homework and made sure I wasn't working at a lesser company. Anyone who is doing anything underhanded, others know about it, and it was your job to ask around before putting in that position, assuming this is real.

Last edited by rummage; 10-20-2019 at 10:49 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Why would anyone consider NOT reading what the CEO of a company brings to your attention?
Because working at a company isn't the military. And because anyone with common sense would know that if a CEO asked you to read their 16 year old's term paper or whatever, it is just vanity, I'd ignore it. Too many of you are frighten of your own shadow and think that every single thing is a going to break your career. "Fire Johnson! He didn't read my daughter's term paper when I asked him!". No CEO worth their salt would expect you to take that seriously. If they do, you need to find a better company that's for sure.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you're talking BCG and McKinsey, I wouldn't be surprised if it's "up to" 80 hours a week, certainly at times.

Big consulting firms operate like big law firms - churn 'em and burn 'em. Unrewarding work for new associates and then it's an "up or out" mentality after the first couple of years. No promotion? Gone.

My last corporate gig had me working 80 hours a week at times. No time for lunch, social media, even to really use the bathroom. No time for any activities outside of work either. Most people there ate at their desks and came in early/left late. 80 hours means around 12 hours a day in the office + early morning emails/late night emails and hours spent on weekends. I left after a year realizing it wasn't worth it.

It does happen.
Even to use the bathroom...nonsense. Yes, during a product launch for a major pharmaceutical that just got FDA approval, yes, that single week people worked 65-80 hours. But then the company rewarded them all with an extra week of vacation too for that, but that overtime was only for one week.

I have worked for big consulting firms and they were 40 hour weeks for vast majority of the time. Never did 80 hours in one week, and no one was doing 80 hours a week. Again, that's a fictionalized version of a documentary of Japanese workers mixed in with people trying to justify why in the US they don't have a higher paying job at a top company. You don't have the background and skills to get those jobs, I understand, but let's not make up that because of the higher pay in a top company they beat you 8 hours a day plus another 8 hours working. It just isn't true, and anyone subjected to anything they don't like at a top company leaves immediately because they are constantly being contacted by headhunters and recruiters. You see, when you work at a top place, others want you hire you.

The treatment was as harsh as you claim, it wasn't a top company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment