Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:46 PM

29,559 posts, read 22,915,752 times

Advertisements

My current schedule is 4 x 10 hour days and I love it. Gives you three days off and you get a lot done on those four days.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/would-a-f...155213569.html

Quote:
In the 1930s, influential British economist John Maynard Keynes predicted that technology would become so advanced by the time his grandchildren were grown that we would all enjoy a 15-hour work week. The ensuing decades have proven his prediction to be spectacularly wrong. Workers in most developed nations still work around 40 hours a week, even more in some nations.

In response, a movement in support of a four-day work week has gained traction around the world. A number of U.S. firms have experimented with it and some labor unions are championing the idea. A financial firm in New Zealand was so pleased with the results of a trial that they adopted the policy full-time. The Labour Party in the United Kingdom is considering making a four-day week part of its platform. Several other European countries have taken steps to reduce the work hours of their citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,306,333 times
For me, yes. I used to have flex time, and I could get so much (errands, take a class, Dr appt) done without having to petition Congress for time off. This 8-5 schedule I have now is crap, and I feel like I am constantly banging a round peg into a square hole. 3/4 of the things that I need to attend to close up shop right when I get off of work. An extra day off would be magnificent. There are many more things beyond actual necessities that I could attend to with an extra day. The sacrifice of longer week days does not bother me.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:18 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,750,708 times
I think for hourly work it could work, but I doubt it will ever catch on in the US, because I cannot imagine US employers making a complete 180° turn and going down that path with their salaried employees. They'd rather have their (salaried) staff working five days a week, extracting as much work out of them as possible.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:40 AM

34,233 posts, read 83,455,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Would a four-day work week be better for everyone?
I can't speak for everyone...
but I'd far prefer a 40 WEEK work year

Old 09-17-2019, 04:57 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,424,594 times
A 35 hour work week would be better for everyone, but good luck getting the fat cats to agree to it.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:58 AM

290 posts, read 252,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think for hourly work it could work, but I doubt it will ever catch on in the US, because I cannot imagine US employers making a complete 180° turn and going down that path with their salaried employees. They'd rather have their (salaried) staff working five days a week, extracting as much work out of them as possible.

I have a friend who works at Lockheed Martin. According to her the company is considering going to a 4 day workweek, and even sent a survey to employees to solicit their opinions on it. If approved, it will start in January, apparently for both salaried and hourly. I don't know how prevalent it is, but LM has around 100K employees, so it's not a small thing.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,759,579 times
No, it would not work better for everyone. We have it in my office and only about 2 people have chosen to take it. The flexible work hours (we can start anywhere from 6:30 to 9:30) and ability to take a long lunch are far better for people than the 4-day workweek since they allow people to take appointments on any day before work, after work, or during the lunch period if needed.

People with kids also have to deal with daycare/childcare hours, which are designed for the 8-hour workday and are usually open from about 7:30 to 5 or 6 and it makes it hard to do when you are doing the 10-hour day and might not be able to make it to pickup on time. It’s also not ideal for taking your kids to activities. I think one of my friend’s mothers did the 4-day week, but she worked in government and probably had a more flexible start time that got her out early enough on weekdays to allow her to participate in the activities with her children. Many other places won’t allow you to start at 6 or 6:30. I have a few friends who do the 4/5/9 schedule and they like that. Their days are slightly longer, but it isn’t noticeable. One gets a 1/2 day off weekly and the other gets every other Friday off.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,152,529 times
My brother has had a Mon-Thu schedule for years. Just has to work a little longer during the four.
It depends on the industry. Someone in luxury auto sales or real estate works every day.
I worked 6-weeks on and 4-weeks off for years in Saudi. It was awesome.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:58 AM

9,518 posts, read 8,536,347 times
No. After about 6 hours my productivity declines rapidly. I cannot fathom having to work another 4 hours after that.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,750,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I have a friend who works at Lockheed Martin. According to her the company is considering going to a 4 day workweek, and even sent a survey to employees to solicit their opinions on it. If approved, it will start in January, apparently for both salaried and hourly.
It is not a 4-day work week for salaried employees unless the company offices aren't open on the fifth day (since otherwise you'll see the salaried staff, at least those who want to get rewarded, working all five days regardless). Heck, even with a 5-day work week, I've been expected to keep tabs on email over the weekend at times.

Now, if they really do go to a 4-day work week for the company, let's watch how the public announcement of it affects LMT and see if the Board is still willing to go forward with it after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment