Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 03:07 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,265,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Depending on the job and one's needs a four-day work week can be great. For some it may make sense to work 40 hours in four days but I prefer to simply work 80% for 80% pay. Again, that doesn't work in all jobs, but it can in many.
I haven't worked 4X10s in years; but I loved it when I did. A 3 day weekend was like having a vacation every week.

To those that have to travel a long ways to come to work; the 4X10s can be a real blessing by eliminating one of the five trips. That also saves some depreciation on your vehicle and maintenance cost besides some of the cost of fuel and tolls.

Where 4X10s run into problems is with management when they try to work them on a 24X7 operation. They look at all the lost time on shift changes that end up with a BSing party. There is too much wasted time and eventually they stop and go back to the 8 hour shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM

1,159 posts, read 627,809 times
My husband works 4 or 5 days a week, 12 hours a day. Really helpful to make appointments.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,183,247 times
I work a three day, 36 hour work week. I work Thurs-Saturday 10AM-10PM.

I absolutely love my work schedule.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,566,903 times
Yes. That would be much better for me.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:41 PM

6,523 posts, read 4,064,494 times
Nah. I go to the gym after work and have a long-ish commute. I can't imagine getting home even later than I already do. I would have to pack a zillion errands into that Friday that I couldn't do in the evenings because I'd get home way too late for even the places open late; it would be like working all day anyway.

And then, as someone else said, if all of the people I needed to see/schedule/etc. on that day off were also taking a day off (or overbooked because everyone would be trying to do it on that same day off), I'd be out of luck anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So true. My husband has a small auto shop and plenty of customers wish he were open on the weekend instead of just M-F.

Only large companies with lots of interchangeable employees to cover for each other can offer four-day work weeks.
Well, yes. Who can use up all of their leave getting their oil changed and such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
A lot of workers spend two hours per day commuting. They could move closer to work and do 4-10 with little change in their schedule.
Oh yes, that's so easy for everyone. Because nobody works in cities it would be dangerous or really expensive to live in, or has to live halfway between two workplaces. They choose to live far from work just for funsies. Everybody loves depreciating their car, buying more gas, and wasting time they could be using for other things, on sitting in rush-hour traffic!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:45 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Oh yes, that's so easy for everyone. Because nobody works in cities it would be dangerous or really expensive to live in, or has to live halfway between two workplaces. They choose to live far from work just for funsies. Everybody loves depreciating their car, buying more gas, and wasting time they could be using for other things, on sitting in rush-hour traffic!

Not everyone, just you.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:18 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,905,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The funny thing about this thread is that I would venture to guess most posters here could easily absorb a 20% loss to their income and work 4 days a week.

I've thought of approaching my employer with this. I don't think it would go well for me...
I did it. My schedule was updated starting the next week. If you want something, and they want you to be happy, ask.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:55 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,554,086 times
I work at a place where I have the option of working 4 days/10 hours or 5/8. I, along with most of my coworkers, chose the 5 day work week. When I first heard of it I was was excited and though I'd at least try it, but after thinking about it, working 4 straight days at 10 hours a day would probably lead to burnout for me personally. I don't worry about missing out on anything at work for that one day off so that wasn't a factor. Of course I know of others who love working 4 days a week so obviously everyone's different. I think if you could handle the hours and you feel you could accomplish a lot on your off day, it's a good option for you.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,747,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Not everyone, just you.
You must live in a fantasy world. In my hometown, it takes like 30 minutes just to get down the road. The area where people work is a flood zone/evacuation zone so most people don’t want to live there.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,027,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I work a three day, 36 hour work week. I work Thurs-Saturday 10AM-10PM.

I absolutely love my work schedule.
Now I would be interested in trying that! More than half of your days are entirely free of work; so it's worth the sacrifice of having three days that are nothing but work.

4x10s seems like the worst of both worlds. Most of your days are work days, and those days are mostly filled with work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment