Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,555,673 times

Advertisements

So I received my official offer letter for my new job about 20 min ago. I could technically give notice now but it’s friday afternoon. It’s weird because I am based in Massachusetts and my boss is in California. So I can’t just go over to his desk and say hey do you have a minute. I have to sent an invite so we can have a call. So j sent the invite for Monday. My new job will be starting on oct 7th. I’d like my last day to be sept 27 so I have a week off before starting the next job. I have been at my current job for 5 months, prior to that I was at my job for 7 hrs. I got no break in between this job and the last. I also just feel like since I’ve been at this job for not long me leaving isn’t going to make or break the dept.

I notice some people give 3 or even 4 weeks notice these days and I don’t know how. My current job and my next job we’re eager to get me in ASAP and I didn’t seem to have the luxury of pushing the date out more. Do others do this with start dates? I don’t know why people feel the need to even give 3 weeks unless they are in an high up position but even then the recommendation seems to be to take a week off between jobs.

If my boss complains I could always offer to come in on the 30th but that’s a Monday. It seems pointless

At my last job I left a bit angry and gave just under two weeks notice as well. In the end I didn’t seem to have burned bridges there. Do people really pay attention to whether someone gives a full two weeks? I don’t care too much what this job thinks of me. The turnover rate at the company seems to be high in general. But I have noticed that people give a lot of notice. One person gave like 2 months notice. Who has time for that unless you have no other job lined up.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:14 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Giving two weeks notice.
How about "giving notice... with the expectation of working two or more weeks before leaving" ?
More often than not ... notice is met with an instruction to pack up.

Quote:
So I received my official offer letter for my new job about 20 min ago.
I could technically give notice now but it’s friday afternoon.
It’s weird because I am based in Massachusetts and my boss is in California.
Which means it's 1pm out there. Right? Call the man today.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:19 PM

His calendar is full today. We do meetings via google hangout. Ugh. I don’t think this is the type of place that will have me pack up once I give notice. But this is so awkward. It would be so much easier to just do this in person but the man ain’t here and his calendar is full today. I am guessing he will suspect something is up as I never schedule meetings with him. He has also cancelled our last few one on ones which hasn’t sat well with me. It’s already been hard enough having a remote boss but I have one who is very removed.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:29 PM

I might just ask him how he feels about the 27th being my last day and say I’ll make it the 30th if you think it’s necessary. But that’s all I’m offering. I just got the offer yesterday and it’s been a whirlwind. Giving notice today would have been best probably but I just don’t feel like I’m in the mindset. Im working from home, now my husband and kids are downstairs and i literally just got the offer letter an hour ago.

Why is the employees needs always Mod cut. last?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-13-2019 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,161,048 times
Quote:
His calendar is full today. We do meetings via google hangout. Ugh. I don’t think this is the type of place that will have me pack up once I give notice. But this is so awkward. It would be so much easier to just do this in person but the man ain’t here and his calendar is full today. I am guessing he will suspect something is up as I never schedule meetings with him. He has also cancelled our last few one on ones which hasn’t sat well with me. It’s already been hard enough having a remote boss but I have one who is very removed.
"I'm leaving on the 27th"

End of conversation - just send it as an email. You've been there for a nanosecond anyway.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,161,048 times
Quote:
I might just ask him how he feels about the 27th being my last day and say I’ll make it the 30th if you think it’s necessary. But that’s all I’m offering. I just got the offer yesterday and it’s been a whirlwind. Giving notice today would have been best probably but I just don’t feel like I’m in the mindset. Im working from home, now my husband and kids are downstairs and i literally just got the offer letter an hour ago.

Why is the employees needs always [Snip.]last?
YOU ARE MAKING THEM LAST.

Send an email. End of story, end of saga, end of thread.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-13-2019 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 02:44 PM

It feels rude sending an email

Old 09-13-2019, 03:00 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
It feels rude sending an email
It is. That's why you pull up the big girl panties and CALL the man as soon as you know

Old 09-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Nope. I wasn’t ready today. I didn’t feel like having an awkward conversation from my house with my kids in the background

Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,213,972 times
No need for scheduling a meeting. Just give him a call anytime during business hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment